[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on rotaries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: fcflame.jpg (17KB, 538x319px) Image search: [Google]
fcflame.jpg
17KB, 538x319px
are they shit?
is an rx7 fc worth buying?
what's the deal with 2 stroke oil?
>>
>>15269453
rotaries exist so they can be swapped into smaller mazdas
>>
they cost more to run because the engine burns oils, apex seals a shit, less fuel efficent, mechanics will rape your wallet
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
can you cook stuff with the exhaust flames?
>>
If you're not an enthusiast don't bother

My coworker got one with next to no miles maybe 15-20k and after driving around babying it like a grandma he couldn't figure out why it flooded and his battery keept dying from trying to start it

There was no explaining to this guy that they have to be driven a certain way or problems would arise

After becoming a snow bank for a couple weeks he traded it in for some 335xi

Dominicans not even once
>>
>>15269507
wow its a good thing we're on /o/, dipshit
>>
I saw this sweet offer (~3200$, converted from eastern european shekels) online for a '89 RX7 Turbo "project car, selling because don't have time for it", spent weeks researching the dorito engine, looking for ways to extend its life span.. Most suggestions were to LS swap it (can't because money) or use forged internals (also not an option). The seller said the car has 65000kms on the clock (~40400 miles)
should I buy it? I'm planning to become an enthusiast (yeah this sounds cancerous)
>>
File: 1333622265264.jpg (37KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1333622265264.jpg
37KB, 500x333px
>>15269453
>are they shit?
yes and no
>is an rx7 fc worth buying?
For hobby,yes. For DD, fuck no.
>what's the deal with 2 stroke oil?
Lubricates seals
>>
>>15269535
>DD fuck no
Newfag it's time to leave
>>
I wouldn't mind selling my miata for a turbo FC but all rx7s are expensive as fuck in my area. I honestly think importing one would be cheaper then buying from my area.
>>
File: eunoscosmo.jpg (67KB, 736x487px) Image search: [Google]
eunoscosmo.jpg
67KB, 736x487px
also, Eunos Cosmo: beast or trash?
It's the only car with a factory 3-rotor inside
Sadly, it only came with 4-spd automatic
And it's JDM only
Is it just a Soarer with triangles?
>>
It wont get you laid... But you sure will have fun if you drive it hard.

They flood if you dont run your RPM up before turning it off. You will be rebuilding your engine ever 40,000mi max. They are alot of work.
>>
Revving before turning it off is kind of a common practice for me, as of now I'm riding an East-German miracle of engineering called the Simson S51. I've been told by my father -a very smart man- to rev it up before I take the spark plug boot off, to flush the engine out.
>>
>>15269615
>40k miles max
Get the fuck out of here. You know jack shit
>>
>>15269593
Eunos cosmos are really good cars and any rotard will cum buckets over that 20b. The 4 speed automatic isn't that bad but can be swapped with a fc turbo II's transmission. The problem with cosmos are the very limited amounts of replacement parts. but a 20b cosmo can be imported for around 15-20k if your lucky which is the same price as a FD
>>
Don't listen to anyone here. Barely anyone has owned one, let alone driven one. Do your research outside of 4chan and get technical information instead of memes.
>>
-- -- --- S
-- A P E X
-- P -- A
S E A L S
-- X -- S
>>
Thank you all very much for this wonderful experience. On a side note, this was my first experience with 4chan, you guys seem like a nice community.
>>
>>15269453
I own two of them.
are they worth buying? If you have decently deep wallets and patients.

Parts are hard to find or extremely expensive

theyre fun as fuck to drive

2stroke oil is for premixing. it lubricates the apex seal giving better compression and helps prevent chatter or scoring of the housings.

rotaries WILL flood if you don't let it warm up after you start it.

Get one. Don't be a faggit
>>
File: rotary comfirmed dumbasshole.jpg (136KB, 831x623px) Image search: [Google]
rotary comfirmed dumbasshole.jpg
136KB, 831x623px
>>15269751
Just don't stray off to the other boards or else the autism consumes you.
>>
>>15269761
Wow thanks man
Does the shifting, clutch usage, etc differ from regular cars though?
also, what's the mixture ratio of the 2-stroke oil?
>>
>>15269785
everything is the same but there are some quirks

lowish torque. basically linear powerband. shifting is the same. it has a very light clutch factory. one thing to watch out for is blown out shifter bushings. Its doesnt effect anything but theres just a LOT of play in the shifter. Theyre easy to replace and Ive heard theyre the same out of ford rangers. but you can but them online.

the ratio for 2stroke is a highly debated topic
if you run the OMP, the oil metering pump which sprays the oil into the engine, most people say half an ounce per galon. No OMP you can do 1oz per gallon. I have my OMP and I do 1oz per galon.

the one thing that you should NOT do with the rotary is down shift to slow the car down and don't cruise around off the gas. The OMP is CRUCIAL to apex seal health and the OMP works off the throttle. so if theres no throttle and the engine is still at 5k youre going to crack a seal. So basically: NEVER slow down by downshifting. and if you're going to coast, put the clutch in to the RPM drop to idle and you dont blow your motor.

also, I hope youre good at finding vacuum leaks. The vacuum design of rotarys is insane and theres almost always a leak causing the idle to be high, or choppy, a lot of people will replace ALL of the vacuum lines when they get the motor with better line so they dont crack and develop leaks.
>>
>>15269785
forgot to include: on average the rotary consumes 1qt of oil per 1000 miles. So its extremely recommended to check your oil when you get gas.
I only use castrol GTX conventional. From my research when the GTX burns off it leaves the least amount of carbon deposits.

you need to consistently check on your oil level, seeing as its burned off, don't be lazy or youll end up with a fucked motor. And its not as simple as a piston motor when a piston ring goes. If an apex seal shatters it can score your rotor and housings. and that means youre getting a new motor.

Also: NEVER, I fucking repeat NEVER over heat a rotary. in the s4 rx7 the temp level should be 1/4 up from cold and should perfectly stay there. the s5 should sit right in the center. If it starts over heating PULL THE FUCK OVER and turn the car off. If the car overheats the water jacket seals break and the housings warp. and then you have to buy a new motor.
>>
File: idemitsu_10w30.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
idemitsu_10w30.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
I read that Idemitsu's wankel-specific oil is a pretty good option (pic related)

On the topic of overheating: so installing an auto timer / turbo timer only makes the situation worse?
>>
>>15269785
one last fun tip:
after the car is warmed up, its reccommended you redline it once a day. It will scrape any carbon deposits away.
My car is running pretty rich and with the extra 2stroke in the gas, I get a decent amount of carbon just from driving a single day. I can notice the power that comes back from a single redline.

oh, as far as 2stroke mix, a lot of people will buy the shit from walmart. I'm a tremendous rotary faggot and I get idemitsu. Its a synthetic premix (what rotary people call the 2stroke mix) that was specifically designed for the rotary. Its a tad expensive after shipping. but 12 quarts is about 70 bucks online. Itll last a pretty long time depending on your driving habbits.

one more thing, sorry mate I keep remembering shit, the gas millage is TERRIBLE. Factory out of the 1.3l 13b you get 16mpg city. It is completely possible to get over 30mpg, but that requires getting a standalone ECU system like a megasquirt and an amazing tune. AaronCake was about to get 34mpg with his tune I believe.

Aaroncake is basically the rotary god, I used his website a LOT when I first got into rx7s. heres his link http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/tech1.htm

if youre thinking about getting into rotarys, you need to learn a lot. simple mistakes like forgetting about the oil, or running the car a little to hot, will result in catastrophic malfunctions.
>>
>>15269864
in my opinion idemitsu oil is way to expensive. Seeing as castrol gtx 5qt and a filter can be had for like 23 bucks at most auto stores (I work at one and thats how I get my oil)

a turbo times wont make things worse as far as I'm aware.As long as your fan is running you should be ok. Theres a lot of controversy over using electric fans, but I currently have the factory clutch fan.
>>
It's funny how you mentioned standalone ECUs
The seller sells the car with a Microtech LT10S and X4 ignition controller
Here's the link if anyone speaks magyar: http://www.hasznaltauto.hu/auto/mazda/rx-7/mazda_rx-7_1.1_turbo-10152394
>>
>>15269898
TII is super solid. It looks clean, the ecu is iffy in my opinion, I would only run a megasquirt or a APEXI ecu system. Hell even haltech makes a 13b specific harness and ecu.

2783 euro is like 3200 american so thats a solid price for a TII. as long as it runs, the idle isnt above like 1300, and the motor wasnt beat to death, that seems solid.
>>
>>15269914 in the notes, the guy mentions that he has a 0-mile "racing exhaust system" installed. And Polybushes. He even included pics of those.

AFAIK Microtech is an aussie corporation, much like Haltech, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're just as good...?
>>
>>15269453
>are they shit?
Yes
>is an rx7 fc worth buying?
lolno
>what's the deal with 2 stroke oil?
they're shit
>>
>>15269940 go back to /b, faggot
>>
>>15269939
Ill assume by "0mile racing exhaust" he means he has a racing beat exhaust with 0miles on it. which sounds like a fucking lie.

never even heard of microtech. But aussies live theyre rotaries, so it might be a pretty solid ecu system honestly.

polyurethane bushings is pretty nice, saves you a good chunk of money if you ever planned on doing it.

I noticed the bushing pictures, Im wondering if hes just including them or if theyre already installed.
>>
>>15269944
>being this new
>>
>>15269880
Just read on AaronCake's website: "Only unleaded gasoline should be used, as leaded fuel will contaminate the oxygen sensor and catalytic converters.
Octane requirements for non-turbo (naturally aspirated or NA) cars are very low. 87 octane should be used if available. Always use the lowest octane fuel you can find. Higher octanes will result in a noticeable power loss, excessive carbon build up, and poorer mileage.

In turbo cars, Mazda specifies 87 octane. However, I generally recommend you go one step above that, especially in cold weather. If the car is modified or otherwise running higher then stock boost, the higher octane is a must."
The only problem is, there's 3 kinds of petrol available in Hungary:
95-octane
98-octane
100-octane
Also, E-85 in some places, for the same price as the 95.
Should I be worried?
>>
>>15269507

>Dominicans

As in Dominicans Republicans or actual Dominicans?

Because a real west indian has no issue redlining anything almost all the time.
>>
>>15269961
honestly Im not super sure about that. I have a stock FC and Im building a bridgeport TII, but 87octane and up is super accessible here in america

seeing as he has a ecu system, it might not be stock, so using higher octane fuel is doable

Maybe get in contact with the owner and see what he says. With that standalone ecu he may have it tuned for 95 octane. Unfortunately, youll have to research that one on your own.
>>
>>15269815
>So basically: NEVER slow down by downshifting.

Wow. You might as well buy a fucking automatic.
>>
You guys have helped A LOT. THANKS!
>>
>>15269996
or, just dont slow down by downshifting?

do it if you want, but have fun rebuilding your motor.
>>
>>15270001
no problem man.
rx7s are a special snowflake that not many people understand. Id rather give solid information that might turn someone away from rotarys, than give them bullshit info and have them end up knowing nothing about their car and blowing it up.
>>
>>15270020
In case I fuck up big time, I could still LS swap it....
>>
>>15270048
get a 240sx if you want to LS swap.
in my opinion, the only car on the road that doesnt come with a piston motor should not get a piston motor.

but it would be your car, so do what ever you want
>>
>>15269961
Octane ratings differ by country, compare your country's octane ratings system with the rating system used in the article.
>>
>>15270064
the octane rating aaroncake was likely talking about was US. Aaroncake is a canadian, but Im assuming amicera and canada have the same ratings.
>>
>>15269453

part scam, part social experiment by the auto industry.
they control the racing associations which allowed those first rotaries to win a few races, then were """banned""" before any outside party could investigate or know why

besides this, rotaries don't actually solve any mechanical or physical constraints
the engine is allowed to rotate at a higher RPM because it has a lower compression, therefore a lower detonation power. it operates at a higher RPM because its not producing as much power. some idiots actually believe the compression ratio goes up with the RPM because of the inertia force of the dorito being greater, therefore creating more compression, but this is not how it works.

piston engines need those heavy blocks and need to operate at a lower RPM because they produce a lot of power.
they would explode otherwise
>>
File: felix wanker.png (149KB, 333x450px) Image search: [Google]
felix wanker.png
149KB, 333x450px
>>15270090
>social experiment
>>
>>15270008

>redline pull
>come off throttle leaving it in gear

Its about the same as downshifting to use the engines compression as a brake.

Or are you talking about slipping the clutch using the transmission to build engine speed?

I feel the latter is more likely what you are talking about because every where in the world aside from america a normal down shift constitutes matching revs before re engaging the clutch
>>
>come into RX7 thread
>"oh boy here comes the shitposts"
>actually helpful poster
>actually learn stuff

This is /o/, dude. You're not supposed to do this.
>>
>>15270090
this has to be the most retarded tinfoil conspiracy bullshit i've seen yet.
>>
>>15269535
Fag, I've DD multiple rotaries, no problems. Try not sucking cock for a day
>>
>>15269751
Oh it gets worse, much worse. You might want to leave while you still have a chance. Friendly Warning. This place will consume you.
>>
>>15269593
So fucking good, massively regret selling mine. Cam put an FD manual box in it if you are that way inclined.
>>
it was literally a prank by wankel
just a joke bro
>>
>>15269526
> people on /o/ knowing anything about cars
If that were true we wouldn't have threads about rotary engines, because they're shit
>>
>>15269499
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUVPtcGvy38
yes, but not very good.
>>
>>15270405
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZmUkA5rGQ
Sure is good for smoking, tho
>>
>>15269815
I've never heard of anybody blowing out apex seals because they engine-braked frequently... If this was such a big issue more people would have complained about it or Mazda should have known about it.

For the most part the oil/premix injected doesn't necessarily vanish since the housing surface is designed to be fairly porous to keep a constant "film". You may technically cause some wear when engine-brake excessively, but it's nothing to worry about when running around town or traveling down a small hill. On RX-7's beginning with the FC3S5 the OMP works off water temperature, airflow, and rpm. Not exclusively throttle position.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.