[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Loop in 12v socket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160609_193940.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_193940.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Hi /o/

I had some weird electrical issue in my car (now fixed) but as I was digging around to locate the issue I found something peculiar. I'm hoping /o/ can help.

My 12 volt socket works fine, but strangely enough, when the ignition is off I can get current to flow between the positive and negative cables (see pic). There is no current "input" from the battery, just my Ohm-meter saying that there is no resistance whatsoever. Wtf kind of circuit is that?

Is it the Ignition Solenoid doing that ? is it normal ?

Thanks for the help.
>>
bumpity bump
>>
Halp. Google let me down.
>>
>>15235144
Can't see what the red lead is touching. Can't see what the meter is set to.
>>
No resistance means what youre measuring is a short
>>
I'd say that the relay controlling your acessory power switches to ground when it's not energized (switched off) it's a fairly common thing to do it stops transient currents in the wires and does some other shit that I'm not sure about.
>>
>>15235144
>what kind of circuit
It's not a circuit. That's the point.
When you turn your car on it will be a circuit.
>>
>>15235144
dude, your multimeter is on resistance reading...you are literally measing the interal resistance in Ohms of the internals of your multimeter plus resistance of the probe/lighter connection
>>
>>15235901

Red lead is touching the red (+) cable that goes to the 12v socket (I unpluged it).
Meter is set at 1k ohm, measuring resistance.

>>15235913

How can I be sure it's one ? How would I locate it ? And if everything works fine when I turn on the ignition, wouldn't it mean there is no short ? My battery holds the charge for days, just fine.

>>15235938

That's sounds like what's happening. I haven't read enough about car's continuous duty solenoids (which are often used to do this kind of on/off switching via the ignition switch) but after drawing the circuit on paper I kinda see how it could make a non-energized loop. In any case, if that seems like a "fairly normal" thing to you, I'm reassured. But it's a good reminder to be extra careful when tinkering with car electronics...

>>15235987

That was the goal. Measuring resistance. I was trying to locate a "short" with a high resistance (meter reading something like 50 ohm between a non-energized positive cable and the car body/ground), which turned out to be my GPS tracker (I still don't know how to get rid of that sucker's "short"). Anyhow, when I plugged my meter on the positive and negative lead of the 12v socket and got the reading on the picture, I thought "wtf".
>>
File: asdf.png (2KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
2KB, 640x480px
>>15235144
It looks like you are measuring about 1k of resistance, so thats not a short.
That resistance could come from anything that is connected in parallel with the socket, which is probably everything on that side of the ignition switch.
>>
>>15236533

I need a digital meter... that thing only gets me more confused than I already am when dealing with circuits. Your graph helps a lot though, I guess I have nothing to worry about. Problem solved. Thanks for your time!
>>
>>15236627
>I need a digital meter

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-03482141000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

$10. no one has an excuse for not having a digital multi meter
>>
>>15235144
That's the fucking ground you cuckold
>>
>>15236678

I think I bought the analog one because it was the cheapest ($7). I'm such a fucking jew sometimes...

>>15236690

Tell me about it. One issue that took me a while to figure out was that my fingers were touching both leads. "Why is that damned needle moving!" I thought.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.