[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

old ass carburetor problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

I have a factory 4 barrel 302 from 1969 with a mild cam and headers and whatnot.
It runs richer than richy rich and from a stop it will bog and die unless you really ease into it.
If you try to give it any real gas from a stop it just chokes and dies.
After you actually get moving it drives flawlessly.

It's an Edelbrock 1405, previous owner put some big jets in it. I've fooled around with the accelerator pump and it hasn't changed anything. I replaced the pump nozzle with a bigger one and it made it drive a bit smoother but the bog is still there.

I'm thinking its either too low of a stall in the transmission, the carb is absolute junk (metering rod flaps were stuck), or the timing is off. Although I really don't see why the timing would be off, after the initial hesitation/bog it shifts through all gears and doesn't skip a beat.

Are there any carb gurus on /o/ that have a clue?
>>
>>15204744
not a carb guru but can you get smaller jets? you're obv running rich and that seems like a relatively easy fix. You could do a rebuild at the same time.
>>
>>15204744
>current year
>still indulging the carbohydrate jew
>>
>>15204756
I might have to replace the jets to see, It's just a pain to take off the carb for the 4th time to try and fix something. If it doesn't help I'll replace the whole thing.
Running rich might not even be related to the problem.
>>15204763
classics yo
>>
I only know holley and ford holley based carbs but does yours have something similar to a power valve? I had the exact same symptoms as you and with a blown valve I was sucking gas directly into the intake. Ran rich as hell and the mixture screws did nothing.
>>
>>15204819
Edelbrock 1405 doesn't have a power valve, or a choke. I can hear the rpms change when I mess around with the idle mixture screws but it runs rich regardless.
>>
>>15204744
When you say fooled around with the accelerator pump how do you mean? Are you sure it's getting the shot?
>>
>>15204900
I can see the shot when I move the throttle by hand.
There's three different holes on the pump lever you can adjust the rod with, and I've tried all three.
It gets the shot immediately but it just bogs, from a dead stop if you barely start to press down on the gas you will hear the rpms drop and shudder a bit and then all the power comes at once and your off.
If you go from a dead stop to maybe half throttle it will choke and die.

And this might be hard to explain, but if you tap the gas real fast twice and then press it, most of the time it will take off without dying.
>>
>>15204949
Have you knocked it apart and seen if the idle circuit has trash and bullshit in it? Or done the rev it up and hand over the carb trick?
>>
>>15204960
The last time I had it apart, I blew carb cleaner through just about everything.

In park if you tap the gas from idle there's like a half second delay, but bring the revs up and the throttle response is instant.
>>
File: 1460692036426.jpg (53KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1460692036426.jpg
53KB, 403x403px
>it runs rich
>previous owner put some big jets in it-
>>
>>15205031
running rich is a problem, but it may or may not be related to the problem I'm trying to fix.
>>
File: 68 galaxie 390.jpg (399KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
68 galaxie 390.jpg
399KB, 1600x1200px
>>15204814
atleast you don't have to pull the heads for the third time in two months like I did. Count your blessings, anon.

You can get a brand new 4bbl edelbrock for a few hundred as well.

>>15204868
idle mixture screw does not affect overall ratio off idle.

>>15204949
did you ever have a base line from before the car did this? It sounds like it jumped time. My father owns a 1972 coronet, and we were trying to figure out a hesitation / stall issue just as you describe it here. We turned the distributor a tiny bit to advance the timing, the engine stalled at idle and the fucking muffler exploded. Hesitation / Bog issue was now 1000x worse and only way to get off idle was to stab the gas, let off within a second and stab it again. Just as you described.

Turns out the timing chain is fucked.

I also own a 1968 galaxie, before I did the engine swap I ALSO had the problems described(though I did the engine swap because of a spun bearing). I fucked with the ignition timing and carb all day to no avail. When I pulled the timing cover in the engine the timing chain had about an inch of slack to it. So obviously it was a valve timing issue/ jumped time.
>>
>>15205093
It's done this for as long as I've had the car, the previous owner died in 1997 and it sat in a barn until I got it last year.

I haven't played with the timing yet, and I didn't want to because I don't own a timing gun and I've crawled all over the front of the engine looking for timing marks and there aren't any.
I might can barely turn the distributor and see if it gets better or worse.

I really hope It isn't the chain
>>
File: spark plug chart 2.jpg (623KB, 1258x1300px) Image search: [Google]
spark plug chart 2.jpg
623KB, 1258x1300px
>>15205093 Here

Did you also take out your plugs and read em? You might want to do that before you start fucking with shit it might not be. takes less than a minute to pull the plug wire and take out one of the plugs.
>>
>>15205132
It'd be a day at most to replace the chain, granted you buy all the shit you need ahead of time and you know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
>>15205132

Do the redneck timing adjustment.

Hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake somewhere, loosen the distributor, turn it one way or the other, leave it where it makes the most vacuum.

The other way to do it is same deal, but watch the tach, and leave it where the RPM is the highest. Though that might be for adjusting the idle mixture, I'm not sure.

I did the vacuum thing to an old Cadillac I had, it actually worked. Just listen for pinging under load and turn it back a touch or two if you hear anything.
>>
>>15205173
I've heard of the timing by ear trick, to turn it until you hear pinging under load and then back off.
I'd mark the distributor location before I messed around with it so worst case scenario I can go back.

>>15205160
It would just be another lengthy repair to add to the list.

>>15205149
I pulled a plug from each side and they looked alright.
>>
>>15205242
If they weren't fouled out (blackened) then I doubt the engine is running rich. it most likely is timing or some other issue. Did you also check for possible vacuum leaks? gaskets go bad from sitting that long.
>>
>>15204744
sounds like a leaking needle and seat.

check the float level and the air bleeds. The bigger main jets aren't the problem because all the shit you're talking about is off idle.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.