[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mini Coopers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Mini-Cooper-7.jpg (428KB, 1000x606px) Image search: [Google]
Mini-Cooper-7.jpg
428KB, 1000x606px
What's /o/'s thoughts on Mini Coopers?
>>
Fun but very unreliable
>>
>>15189291
fun, cute, and one of the most unreliable cars currently built.
>>
>>15189291
Previous gens:
rides like shit (even on non-run-flats) might be ok if you have perfect roads

terrible build quality. a pillar trim pulling up before 100k miles, lots of interior rattles

Shitty french turbo engine in the R56. Timing chain tensioner likes to fail.

Current gen
too big but supposedly fixes all the previous problems.
>>
>>15189291
It's like a Fiesta with BMW-tier maintenance and costs.
>>
>>15189291
Even gayer than a miata
>>
""""""""""""""""mini""""""""""""""""
>>
Not op

But how about 1980s-1999s ones?
>>
>>15189486
glorious. Any pre-BMW Mini is glorious
>>
>>15189498

Okay!! Good caz i was thinking about the pros amd cons of getting maybe a 1992-ish version
>>
Are they really that shit? Been looking at mid 2000s models to replace my Miata which is beating eaten by rust.
>>
>>15189512
pros: sound good, feels like a little go kart, cheap and easy to work on
cons: rust. not very safe, at all
>>
>>15189516
They're notoriously unreliable. They shared their engines and chassis with Citroens and Peugeots, so they're not the best built or most reliable (understatement), but they are genuinely fun to drive. They feel like a FWD car built by a company that hates FWD. It handles like a RWD car. but my god is it unreliable. The fucking French can't do anything right.

>but the car is built in England and so are the engines
Which makes it worse. This is the land known for fucking McLaren and you let people get away with this unreliable trash with shit build quality?

tl;dr, yes it's that bad. Just get another Miata.
>>
I have a R53 Cooper S, and barring having the oil filter replaced then everything has been absolutely fine (touch wood), lots of interior rattles and if the road is bad it'll feel like you're constantly being kicked up the arse as a previous poster said - however, it is tons of fun and as long as you can afford to maintain one should anything go wrong then I'd say go for it
>>
how did the prince engines end up so shit?
the tu was bulletproof and these were supposed to be based on those
>>
>>15189532
>feels like a go kart

someone who has never ridden a go kart. unless you're talking about the old ones.

the old ones were awesome
>>
>>15189570
>Just get another Miata.

Need moar room for equipment on workdays and girls on weekends. Been thinking about a Mustang, Firebird, Corvette, GTI, or maybe something retarded like a Cobalt SS. Budget is around $5K.
>>
>>15189532
So even if my plan to make it into a prject car that has rollcages in it, its still not safe? Is what am about to do is just a death trap? Or it will still give a little safety points considering accidents in my country happen alot, speciallywith trucks
>>
>>15189580
what? the tu engines are indestructible.The Prince EP4/6 engines are shit, and is not base on the old generations. They always had timing chain problems, but only when you drive them slow. The turbo ones where the owner give full trottle are fine.
>>
>>15189596
The Cobalt SS is on the sticky for a reason. Go for it.
>>
File: AJB44B_65montewinners.jpg (128KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
AJB44B_65montewinners.jpg
128KB, 800x600px
>>15189486
>thinking minis where only made in the 80s and 90s
>>
I really liked the previous S one, but man, for that money the I interior is laughable, rattles and crickets everywhere. It's supposed to be in reliable as 90ies lada, but cant confirm.

Also, next year swift sport will take the crown of quintessential supermini hothatch
>>
>>15189920

I don't trust the sticky. A friend of my ex was selling a low-miles '09 that wasn't running right. I spent a lot of time hanging on the Cobalt forums diagnosing it. Turned out to be a cracked block, which is really common in those cars on top of blown out pistons and rings. The guys on the forums were always talking about engine swaps that wouldn't explode.
>>
My Brother had one. Utterly horrendous ride and build quality. Whole interior flexed with a little pressure from your finger. And we used to take the piss and say he got shorter every time he drove it.

On the bright side, it's light, very nippy for a 1.6 NA and it handles incredibly well.

He replaced it with a 350Z. No comparison there, holy shit.
>>
>>15190947
09 SS's use a different engine to the 05-07 SS's that would be in your price range.

>a few morons on a forum makes it a common problem

Ecotec engines are not known for cracking blocks.
>>
>>15191002

Block porosity is very common in those years of SSes. GM had a recall/warranty extension for that which is now over.
>>
>>15189623
The later ones (1998-200 I think) came with airbags and side impact bars, so they're the "safer ones" and also the most refined and better all round cars. They cost a fortune in decent condition though.

As for accidents, if you get hit by a truck it's over, but it's probably the same story in any car really.
>>
>>15189291
BMW betrayed the ideals behind the mini. The modern ones arnt minis except in name.
>>
>>15192230
Modern regulations required it. You could never make the mini of the 60's today. It's not legal.
>>
>>15192242
you could get a lot closer than bmw did though.
of course bmw were trying to do something else.
and succeeded at it tbf
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.