[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car flooded, how fucked am I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Cobalt.jpg (58KB, 626x286px) Image search: [Google]
Cobalt.jpg
58KB, 626x286px
I know this question may seem out of place here but it was intended for Yahoo Answers, it just isn't working right now. I was parked at a friend's house and a thunderstorm caught us offguard. The water rose up to about 75% of the tires, and when I could get to my car, water was pooled a bit in the area you set your feet in. How bad is that kind of flooding and what should I be worried about, and what actions should I take?

My car is a 2009 Cobalt, so it is manual. I'm not sure if that helps considering it might have less electrical components because of it. I'm very worried, however, because I was planning a trip to another state just 2 days from now.

The image hows up to where the water reached.
>>
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a70/1272386/

google it lad
>>
>>15181098
>http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a70/1272386/

Articles like that are hardly reliable though. I was hoping for some first hand experience.
>>
>>15181106
Well, my 2002 Ford Focus (automatic) got flooded to about the same level in a thunderstorm, and it smelled like shit until it dried, but otherwise suffered no negative effects whatsoever.
>>
Either the electrics got fucked or not.

Did they?
No?
Then keep driving until that shitbox breaks anyway.
>>
>>15181111
check your dipsticks for water
disconnect the battery and let the whole car dry out
plug it back in and pray
>>
>>15181181
Yeah, my car got flooded a couple of years ago. I did all the proper things after it flooded and it suffered no ill effects.
>>
File: terrano.jpg (109KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
terrano.jpg
109KB, 960x540px
>>15181111
This. Smells pretty rotten for about 4 weeks. Take all the carpet out and try and keep it in sunlight or dry.

>High water level just above the dash
>>
>>15181193
That powerline track can get breddy lethal
>>
Yes you want to take all the carpet out to dry right now. You can suck some water out with a shop vac to make it a bit easier to handle.
>>
>>15181497
Yup. Same happened to my shit box, i took out seats, carpet, and let it air dry after vacuuming. No issues at all, not even a smell.
>>
There's hope. I once put an 02 S10, auto, 12 feet into a lake while running. Didn't even need to rebuild the engine, just had to replace a lost of shorted wiring.
>>
>>15181963
Gonna need a greentext on what possibly could have caused that
>>
>>15181138
>either something happened or it didn't happen
wew lad
>>
>>15181497
>>15181760
yep you want to get on that shit asap. if you don't then mold will grow and your car will stank. there's a dog urine powder thing you can buy to help with smell and absorbing odor, it vacuums out
>>
>>15181085
Probably not much.
The only problem would be wiring if there was anything running in the rear of the car (wiring passes under the carpet)
Otherwise, not much. Anything from the underside of the car gets wet anyway when you drive in the rain. Just pull the carpet and let it dry out
>>
Thanks a lot guys, I feel less worried now. Everything I read from articles suggested it might be totaled.
>>
>>15181085
Right now I'm working on a 72 Buick that was flooded in hurricane sandy. Fuming 2 gallons of water poured out the oil pan and another out of the tranny. My only hope is that there was so much water it couldn't settle to rust and corrode the pistons. What you do is change the oil, and ANY fluid in the car, open the spark plugs and put marvel mystery oil or pb blaster inside. Do not fucjin try to start that car until this is done. Then take the plate off the fly wheel, don't use the nut in the front of the engine, get a pry bar and try to spin it a tiny bit every day or so. When it frees up then you try to start it after you can spin it freely an entire turn.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.