[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

octane booster

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: LUCAS OCTANE BOOSTER (4).jpg (54KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
LUCAS OCTANE BOOSTER (4).jpg
54KB, 512x288px
I this a waste of money, or does this shit actually make a difference in performance?
>>
If your car needs higher octane than you can buy then it's useful to up the octane.

In a shitecobox? no
>>
>>15169747
No, not a shit box. Just wanna try to see if this stuff actually works. I wouldn't want to be stupid and waste money on it to only find out that it doesn't work, is it possible to fill your car with unleaded plus and also add octane boost? or is that too much?
>>
>>15169779
What does your fuel cap/manual say that you need?
It's probably cheaper to buy the right RON/ROZ/AKI fuel
>>
>>15169847
unleaded fuel only.
>>
>>15169737
You need a tune to take advantage of higher knock-resistant fuel from pump or with additives.
>>
>>15169865
Well, no car after the 80s needs leaded fuel. There is, however, an octane rating the manufacturerer suggests. Fill it with that, and forget additives.
>>
>>15169737
just get a gallon of xylene or toluene, these things are mostly shite.
some of the fuel system cleaners work though.
>>
>>15170467
The fuel requirements in the manual and on the cap and on the back of the license plate mount all say Unleaded fuel only
>>
>>15172844
>back of the license plate mount
Fucking what? What do you drive, 99% chance it takes regular which is 95-97 octane in burgerland.
>>
Depends what your compression is you autist, unless your driving something older with a larger v8 that's a super/sport build don't bother.
>>
What the fuck are octane boosters like pic related even good for? Just fill up with high octane fuel at the gas station if you want it.
>>
>>15169737
>I this a waste of money, or does this shit actually make a difference in performance?

Octane is not performance.

Little 12oz bottles of octane booster (mostly toluene) do not do much to a full tank of gasoline. If you have a pure source of toluene, that would be cheaper than buying Lucas or other branded bottles of tolune with their high markup price. After it dilutes with the many gallons, the boost is only a fraction of 1 unit where 87 units is the AKI scale octane rating of gasoline at Sam's Club / WalMart gas stations.

Since ethanol has a high octane rating, I suspect that premium fuel might use that instead of tolune. You'd do better getting the higher octane (aka premium) fuel at a "Top Tier" gas station brand.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

These are major gasoline brands that banded together to agree on maintaining certain detergent standards instead of reducing the additives to compete solely on price like wal-mart / sam's gas stations.

As for adding ethanol to boost octane instead of a non-hygroscopic petrochemical, if there is water in the tank, a lot of the ethanol will separate out and move to the bottom of the tank with the water (and be used up by the engine). The rest of the gas in the tank is thus missing some of the octane boost and has a lower octane rating than you had expected if the ethanol had remained evenly blended with the entire tank. So, it's better to get your octane from buying top tier premium gas that uses toluene. How to tell? Who knows? It's not like anyone in /o/ has access to a chemical tester. And a test in one part of the country doesn't mean other terminals do the same. Terminals (where pipelines empty out) are owned by whoever owns them and they mix gasolines from the pipeline or storage tanks with additives. The trucks then take the tanks to various gas stations in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

http://www.iea-amf.org/content/fuel_information/ethanol/e10/ethanol_properties
>>
*continued from before*

>>15173354
>>15169737 (OP)
>Is this a waste of money, or does this shit actually make a difference in performance?
>Octane is not performance.

Long ago, the word "premium" became the label for the higher octane gas. That wasn't because the gas was "better" than regular gas, but because the better engines with tighter tolerances AT THAT TIME in history were the so called better or premium engines. However, gas companies are all to happy to foster the myth that the gas is premium so that they can charge you a lot more.

If anything, regular gasoline has more heat value. So in one sense, a fuel that has more energy could also be called "premium" over a fuel that had less energy, right? Anyways, now ignoring this regular vs premium malarky.

If you need more octane, using the "premium" fuel from a Top Tier gas station (AKI 91 rating) will give you more octane rating than adding a bottle of Lucas octane booster to a tank of regular (AKI 87 rating) gasoline. Of course, you can add the Lucas to the premium gas for an additional small boost but it will be a waste of money due to how small the change is for the whole tank.
>>
>>15172915
The most practical use for them is after you accidentally put regular in a car that needs premium.
>>
>>15170114
I'd imagine products like this are used for track-only vehicles. Rather than running around to find high octane gas, you make regular gas into high-octane.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.