[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where is a good place to practice rev matching with a manual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Where is a good place to practice rev matching with a manual transmission? I also want to learn the heel to toe technique...

I'm finding it hard to practice on most streets
>>
>>15161194
Just do it at night when there's nobody around.
Don't do it in neighborhoods, though.
>>
>>15161194
I've also been trying to practice this. Around here, there are plenty of roads that go 55-45-35, so I try to practice rev matching while anticipating the slower speed limit. As for heel-toe, I'm not very comfortable with rev matching yet, but it should be the same process, except you're using the brake to slow down rather than just relying on engine braking to control your speed.
>>
>>15161194
You can practice both in every day driving. You'll need to practice somewhere else for performance driving but you can pick up the basic technique without it.
>>
>>15161194
Literally anywhere.

It's not like your car will jolt around any more with poorly matched downshifts than it would with unmatched downshifts.

Just remember that double clutching is a meme. Clutch in, stick in, (brake and) gas in, clutch out.
>>
Practice normal downshifting first. Once you get the hang of it you just have to get used to hitting the throttle and brake at the same time, but remember you don't have to use as much throttle because you are slowing down.
>>
>>15161467
I can downshift pretty well. I suppose its hard for me to keep track of all the variables at once and i get unnecessarily nervous that im gonna fuck the engine up by doing it way wrong.
>>
>>15161555
that's because you're going to fuck up your engine by doing it way wrong.
>>
>>15161260
How long do you hold down the clutch for? New to it all and was drivingwith a friend who told me that I keep "riding the clutch"
>>
>>15161567
My biggest fear is accidentally downshifting from 5th to 2nd gear while on the highway...I actually had nightmares about it when I bought my first stick shift with no prior training.

Let's put it this way...what is a way I could seriously fuck it up? In other words, maybe I should approach this from what I should NOT be doing if I attempt this.
>>
>>15161606
Riding the clutch is anywhere in between stepping on it all the way and not stepping on it at all. You should aim to always be in gear and in between clutching as little as possible
>>
>>15161260
Double clutching is fine, just usually not necessary.

Personally, I love how smooth a properly Rev matched double clutch downshift is
>>
>>15161194
Anywhere
>>
>>15161194
in my town we have 4 consecutive roundabouts on a very low traffic road. the speed limit is low so even getting into 4th gear is pushing it but I use it kind of like a bunny hill for practicing slow (2500-3500 rpm) rev matches.

you can just keep doing laps up and down the same road with no traffic signals or anything, fun for practice

plus the curbs are really shallow and rounded off so you get 3 nice apexes to cut per roundabout. might be a little autistic but it does teach you a lot of wheel awareness that you normally only get when you're running shit over
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.