[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you recover from a major accident?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: File _ courtyard-ghetto.jpg (1MB, 1600x1059px) Image search: [Google]
File _ courtyard-ghetto.jpg
1MB, 1600x1059px
I have been traumatized by a major car accident. I still drive, but I no longer have the passion for driving that I had before, and the images of the crash and the hospital are constantly in my mind while I drive.

Has anyone else gone through this? How did you get past it?
>>
Most people can't remember their bad accident but in time you'll feel better. Maybe avoid driving for a bit.
>>
>>15153494
git gud
>>
>>15153500
This. Take some time away from driving until you feel up for it again. When you do get a car that you feel comfortable and safe In. Stick to back roads and suburbs, move your way up to main streets and highways. Finally back on the interstate. Basically like teaching a kid to drive and feel comfortable on the road again
>>
>>15153570
This
Just get over it
>>
A couple years back, I was involved in a triple fatality accident. No, I'm not a ghost, but the couple in the Z4 is. (It was a 7-car pileup and they were killed, along with a guy on a ninja. My mother and I weren't injured, likely because of the car we were driving, a 2011 Volvo XC60). My best advice is to just not think about cars or Motorsport beyond basic transportation for awhile. If your passion comes back it comes back, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I know in my case now, I'm more interested in the aesthetics and mechanics of cars than driving itself. Nowadays I take mass transit and if I have to drive, I take the shortest route possible.

As a result though, I'll say that I'm happy I unknowingly chose a safe car, my Saab, back in 2010. My next car will probably be bought with safety in mind above all else, so I'd likely lean Volvo or maybe Subaru.
>>
>>15153494
If youre still replaying the events that frequently you might want too seek out a therapist, as thats a symptom of PTSD.

Otherwise Id recommend trying to recondition yourself to the good aspects of driving. Your brain has associated driving with the accident, try to replace that association with good memories.

Maybe music you like to listen to while driving, drive down a favorite backroad, something like that.
>>
Visit /b/ and let them shitpost you to stop your insane babbling
>>
>>15153688
I have no real drive to drive anymore, I'm treating cars as an appliance instead of a great resource for adventure. I remember the thrill of going for a night-time drive on a deserted freeway with summer lightning filling the sky above me, but all that really makes me feel now is stress. I mostly ride my bicycle or take public transit now, and I drive only when necessary.

I didn't kill anyone, but I crippled my friends and totaled my car.

>>15153500
I never lost consciousness. I remember everything.
>>15153570
I've been a student of defensive driving, but I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>>15153630
At first I didn't drive for a few months, then I started running errands for my family with their cars. I didn't buy another car for four years. It's been almost five years now.
>>15153698
I think that might help. I seriously still hear the screams.
>>
>>15154901
Cont.
I think that my favorite thing about /o/ is that most of the community here still has that exuberance, which perhaps unfortunately I associate with youth after having become estranged from it in my early adulthood. The anonymous posters here almost entirely share the sense of adventure that comes from driving, and knowing that many of you have gotten past a bad wreck reassures me that I can as well.
>>
the same way you break any phobia, exposure and cbt

/thread
>>
>>15154901
>I crippled my friends and totaled my car.
you don't belong on the road. real life isn't initial d.
>>
you don't need to drive fast/recklessly to have fun driving mate
>>
>>15153494

It'll take you about two years to get over, but you'll come out better for it.

I ate an oak tree in a 3.0 Z4 going about 70mph during a race in the rain, took the responders two hours to peel me out with the jaws of life, couldn't walk for half a year.

I drive a lot better now, after over a year of being sheepish it translated into more confidence and awareness of the road.

My family was amazed that I survived, but I knew it was because I was driving a BMW.
>>
>>15155010
I think I'm leaning on the side, tell us the whole story OP
>>
File: 1464310868767.jpg (84KB, 514x475px) Image search: [Google]
1464310868767.jpg
84KB, 514x475px
>>15153494
I still feel the pain of my major accident six months ago. It goes away with time but the fucking insurance letters I still get about it make it impossible to forget.
>>
>>15154901
>>15153698
yeah if the memory is still that raw and fresh after 5 years, i would recommend looking into professional help. even if it's something you could eventually work through on your own, there's no shame in going to a professional.
>>
>>15153494

You flew too close to the sun Icarus.

The sobering quality of hubris has cucked you. Either take a brake or get gud.
>>
File: 4L_awgCYUWw.jpg (376KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
4L_awgCYUWw.jpg
376KB, 1280x960px
I man the fuck up and get back out there. A crash will never kill my true passion for the road. If I die on the road, I die happy and free. I have no fear of accidents. I refuse to live in fear of shit happening when I could live my life like a badass and a true man. I am illimitable.

Pic related, it was a couple years ago. I still drive a Miata.
>>
>>15153494
i had a crash once, flipped my car
i got over it by getting another same car and driving
t b h im glad it happened and no one else was hurt
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.