[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

L28 na no start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1231.jpg (13KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
1231.jpg
13KB, 275x183px
Hi guys, I have a 1981 Datsun 280zx with a mysterious no start problem. I bought the car not running several months ago and still have had no luck diagnosing the problem.....
The car will not turn over with the AFM (air flow meter) attached but will turn over and idle without the AFM...

I am getting fuel, spark , and air for sure

parts replaced

Fuel Pump
AFM
New NGK Spark Plugs
Cap & Rotor
New Battery
Spark Plug Wires
New CHTS
Replaced TPS
New FPR (wierd hissing noise)
Replaced AFM boot
Air filter
Also have tried a known good ECU (same symptoms)
Ignition Coil

Ive looked everywhere for this problem and there is not much info on it , all threads lead to dead ends. What in gods name is causing this problem?!?
>>
When I pull the plugs they are always fouled up
the car is running very rich.
>>
Swap a junkyard 4age in and call it a day
>>
>>15144547
>>15144601
Perhaps your afm needs adjustment?
>>
>>15144608
I would love to swap the motor right
about now but sadly funds are limited
and its not an option at this point
ready to call an exorcist for this l28...

>>15144616
Ive been through 4-5 AFM's now but
adjusting it sorta scares me so ive never
popped them open due to warranty loss
>>
File: SANY0017.jpg (691KB, 2144x1208px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0017.jpg
691KB, 2144x1208px
I had a fuel injected 280zx with a similar problem, and I cleaned the AFM and and the electrical connectors to it were very corroded.
I'm not sure which did the trick, but before it would barely idle without dying and after it idled nearly perfectly.
I regret selling that shitbox
>>
Im no expert but if your results change with the afm attached (assuming you're not putting it on backwards) it would have to be an electrical issue
>>
Didn't you have this thread a week or so ago?
>>
>>15144746
I really care for my shitbox.... how did you clean the AFM?
I have cleaned all the connectors on my car with cleaner and a wire brush still nothing :\
Having some knowledgable people come
take a look at it real soon so fingers crossed..

>>15144751
I was thinking the same thing but honestly im
not really car savvy and looking at the electrical diagram made me want to kill my self.
AFM is deffinitely on the right way though!
>>
>>15144840
Yeah that was me , this problem seems to
be very rare and not much good info is out
to self diagnose....
>>
>>15144547
The problem is that you have a 1981 Datsun 280zx.

A friend of mine dumped all his money into one and it still never ran right. Fuck those things.
>>
>>15144547

Do you have the correct year ECU? And you still need to adjust it. How is the continuity on the wires?
>>
>>15144898
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
I honestly love this car and been through a lot
of hell just to get it where its at now, giving up on
it is the last thing I want to do, but im on borrowed time and might have to resort on letting it go. Im really hard headed maybe your
friend can relate.
>>
>>15145024
Seriously though, get rid of it and at least get a 280z or better yet a 260z. You'll love it a whole lot more. The ZX is a bloated abomination of a sports car.
>>
>>15145012
Yes its the OEM ECU Ive also tried using a
known good ECU which had the same symptoms.
I havent done much electrical work on the car
other then cleaning connectors
and splicing new pigtails on
right now it is about a 30 min drive away from me so I cant do much right now, but research
and come back to my car with more valuable knowledge...
>>
>>15144547
Clean all engine bay and ECU connections
Check that timing is correct

Removing the plug from the AFM puts it into limp mode, which keeps everything in open loop, meaning ANY emissions tech could be sending a bad signal so you're best off removing them one by one and seeing which helps.

>>15144862
AFM cleaner. Spray it in there and wait until it dries to reinstall it.
>>
>>15145144
Timing is correct and I have went and cleaned
all the connections. The mechanic i took it to tried bypassing most of the connections with no luck.

I will try cleaning the AFM the next time
I work on the car im assuming I take the cover off and spray inside correct?
>>
>>15145063

You might have spliced it wrong, lol.

But some ECMs are year specific, like my '83 computer is that year only: ECU controls the fuel pump now.

But you AFM is giving the wrong info. Try unplugging the the CHTS to see if it changes the AFM. And what year ECU are you using?
>>
>>15145817
tried unplugging CHTS and also bypassing it still the same thing... im using the 81 oem ecu
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.