[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

t/o/y thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 13

File: rccar.gif (4MB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
rccar.gif
4MB, 650x366px
Does anyone else have any car related hobbies that don't involve real cars? Looking at adding a new 1/10 touring car to my fleet and was just curious if any of you had a suggestion. Talk about t/o/ys here.
>>
basically any and everything with an engine ive been involved with at some point.
>>
I'm collecting 1:18 models, if that counts.
>>
File: 1415430127714.gif (2MB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1415430127714.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>15140101
Sure it does anon, I have a ton of 1/24 models and diecast that I have no idea how I want to display now that I've moved into my new apartment.
>>
>>15140095
>interested in getting into 1:10 RC cars (on-road) someday
>looked for a RC thread
>didn't find one here or on /toy/
>this thread finally arrives

So far, I've looked through the german website for Tamiya (the only RC company I know) and it's pretty confusing and I can't figure out where the prices for all the articles are listed.

So here are my first questions:
>what kind of tools would I need?
>what's an approximate cost for a complete running 1:10 touring car?
>are models adjustable (wing angle and such stuff) and would that actually make a difference or are the wings on the cars more or less for show?
>what other companies exist?
>>
>>15143136
Pretty much every major RC company has a touring car line but Tamiya's is the most extensive. Others to check out would be Associated Electric and HPI.

Tools you'd need would be assorted screwdrivers/nut drivers, needle nose pliers, and maybe a few small wrenches. Scissors will also be necessary if you're building a kit. Any decent hobby shop should have what you need, along with proper glue and other consumables.

Touring car chassis are very adjustable in terms of suspension/alignment but that's about it. Tires are the biggest factor in terms of cornering ability.

Total cost depends on what route you decide to go. An RTR set will likely run about $500 or so but you can wind up spending over $1,000 if you build a kit from scratch. The base kit will run a few hundred by itself, then you have to get all of the electronics to go with it (radio, speed control, motor, steering servo) and the price of all that can vary wildly depending on what you get.

This is all for 1/10 electric cars and assuming you're buying new. Nitro cars are mostly the same but you'll need two servos and no speed controller. Engines also cost a lot more than motors.

Hope this gives you an idea of what you're looking at.
>>
>>15143136
>what kind of tools would I need?
Really if you are just starting out and just have one model go for a nice set of hex screwdrivers. I know Dynamite has an 8 in 1 set that I use pretty much every time I have to work on my cars. Other than your basic tools you can really go nuts, Hudy has a ton of stuff that you never knew that you needed. If you are looking at racing you will also need a setup board to dial in your suspension settings and a car stand just to make working on the car easier in the pits. A good soldering iron is a must.

>what's an approximate cost for a complete running 1:10 touring car?
It all depends on what classes are being run at your local track. I know here in Merica VTA has become extremely popular because you could literally get into it with a Chinese bootleg chassis and cheap brushless setup and run laps. It's really hard to say how much it's going to cost but anywhere from $200-$2,000 once again depending on what class you run. However if you just want to run it around in the driveway or in the street look for a used model on eBay. Keep in mind your first car doesn't have to be the be on the bleeding edge.

>are models adjustable (wing angle and such stuff) and would that actually make a difference or are the wings on the cars more or less for show?
Yes, every corner of the car is adjustable and aero is huge in the faster touring car classes.

>what other companies exist?
HPI, Kyosho, Team Associated, Xray, Schumacher, I think even Team Losi and Traxxas even had a touring car at one point. Those are just the tip of the iceberg and your local hobby shop will more than likely have plenty of stock for the manufactures I listed since they are the big names in RC. As far as electronics go that is a whole post on it's own, I highly suggest not getting a RTR car even though it has everything you need to run the car because 9 times out of 10 the electronics will be junk. Another reply incoming.
>>
>>15140095
i have a traxxas nitro 4 tec 2.5 that i got when i was like 15 im 27 now and getting back into it, got it running again gonna get new tires for it and probably use it once in a while, gonna buy a traxxas slash to use as a beater since i kinda always wanted a buggy or truck
>>
File: rc drifting.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rc drifting.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: Team-Associated-TC4-Club-Racer2.jpg (49KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
Team-Associated-TC4-Club-Racer2.jpg
49KB, 600x402px
>>15143136
>>15143354
>continued
When you get your kit also pick up a nice middle of the road 2.4ghz radio set that you can keep using even after you have outgrown your first car. If you are running with a club once again check the rules and make sure you buy a brushless setup and battery that will conform to the club's rules. Don't get a NIMH battery pack because they are way outdated, try to find a nice lipo setup and a charger that won't burn your house down. This was just a quick rundown of everything to look for hopefully it helps some. Also my suggestion for a kit would be the Team Asociated TC4. Great car, proven chassis, and I own one myself. The same chassis has been a rally car, drift car, spec club racer, and a speed car that I got up to 100 mph crashed and only had to replace one a-arm.
>>
File: Traxxas-4-Tec.jpg (27KB, 640x378px) Image search: [Google]
Traxxas-4-Tec.jpg
27KB, 640x378px
>>15143384
I remember wanting a 4tec so bad as a kid, I ended up getting a Losi Mini-T instead that year for Christmas. If I could find a mint 4tec now I would buy it so hard.
>>
File: 608.jpg (67KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
608.jpg
67KB, 709x765px
>>15143388
>tfw you will never pull your toy car out of your real car and have a drift session with your mates after driving the touge roads of Japan while drinking a Boss coffee
>>
I've got a HPI Savage that I haven't touched in years. How hard or how much money would I need to spend to bring it up to date and maybe even go brushless?
>>
>>15143474
yeah i saw they didnt even sell them anymore they just have some electric cars. i was looking at new 3.5 models on ebay very expensive
>>
File: sabaru.jpg (407KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
sabaru.jpg
407KB, 2592x1944px
>>15140095
I got a 30906 EP FAZER Porsche 911
it is much like the tamiya tt01
mine has following extras

alloy prop shaft
carbon plastic half shafts
kv4500 motor
2s 3200 hAh 7.4v 20C li po

over all it has too much power for me to deal with
lots of understeer because 4wd and little suspension adjustment
stones get caught in the steering arm push rods

looking back I wish I had bought a smaller scale chassis
that could be adapted for different wheel base and track so then I could throw lots of different body's on it
and putter around at lower speed rather than flying off at 60 km/h and ripping off all the suspension elements
>>
>>15144766
>how much money would I need to spend
All of it.
>>
>>15144766
>HPI Savage that I haven't touched in years
going to be dusty and gummed up
>maybe even go brushless
the bearings and chassis might not handle it
mostly heat and flex issues
>>
I want to make a 1:10 RC that runs gas.

How stupid is this.
>>
File: IMG_20160526_211639193.jpg (988KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160526_211639193.jpg
988KB, 2448x2448px
I've got a nitro CEN CT5 from forever ago. Don't know when I painted the wheels gold, I should make them black.
>>
>>15145590
>the bearings and chassis might not handle it
I doubt he's willing to drop the kind of cash required for the brushless motor that's powerful enough to destroy bearings.

>mostly heat and flex issues
Heat shouldn't be a problem if it's geared properly, and it's not like chassis flexing matters in what I assuming is going to be a backyard basher.

>>15145605
>runs gas.
As in pump gas? Four-stroke? Probably not worth it, considering the time, effort and money you'd have to dump into it when you could just go and buy a used nitro whatever off of ebay.

You could look into stuffing a losi 5t motor into a 1:10 scale chassis, but it'd most likely lunch any kind of transmission at that scale.
>>
>>15145590
Yeah I'm wanting to turn it into a full on Savage Flux, I've got 6 other more serious kits and I just haven't touched the Savage because I've moved away from nitro. I just can't find much online on what parts are interchangeable, I know that the Savage platform has pretty much been the same for years now but I was just curious if anyone here had done it. I mean if it was going to cost $500+ I'd rather buy a new flux and tear down the old savage for parts.
>>
>>15145605
Not too stupid Dynamite has a motor thats about the size of a standard nitro engine and it runs on gas.
>>
>doesn't in involve cars

This is what happens when you let the normies in.
>>
>>15145859
>He doesn't know /ovg/ exists.
>>
File: 1239509212226.gif (575KB, 140x173px) Image search: [Google]
1239509212226.gif
575KB, 140x173px
>>15145878
That's what I was referring to.
>>
>>15145849
I'm
>>15145087
the car I own is the electric version of a gas powered chassis
it shares many parts with the gas platform and can be adapted to a buggy
but as you say it would cost allot to move between them even with the plastic and metal parts having the same anchor points

I do not know much about savage as I only started up recently and in a backward place
many people have given up nitro given the need to clean it so much more after each use
that and brushless motors and li po battery's showing up as near equivalent
all the old clubs that ran brushed are gone now
>>
>>15145849
>$500+
These numbers are just from a cursory glance around the Internet:
$100-150 for motor
$100-150 for ecu
$50-100 for lipo
$40~ for charger
$40-100 for motor mount

It might not be over, but it's pretty close.

It's probably worth it to buy something new instead.
>>
>>15143388
How dot hey do this with tiny pieces of plastic?

I thought it was a car's weight and momentum that carries it through drifts, how does a two pound RC do it?
>>
>>15148758
they are all AWD and using basically plastic tires.
>>
File: 025.jpg (2MB, 2500x1662px) Image search: [Google]
025.jpg
2MB, 2500x1662px
>>15143388
these are really entertaining desu, have some buddies that bring replicas of takumi's 86 and keisuke's fd to meets
>>
>>15140095
Current car is the Traxxas Bandit VXL
brushless motors are crazy. this thing is a handful being 2WD, but it's very fun
>>
>>15143388
hektik
>>
File: rwd-msts-daniel-christoph.jpg (382KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rwd-msts-daniel-christoph.jpg
382KB, 1920x1080px
>>15148796
>>15148758
You can actually get a RWD drift setup too. It's all about weight distribution.
>>
>>15143388
all it needs is a tiny stereoscopic camera setup with tilt and pan, a vive, a logitech g27 or similar, and a gigabit wireless setup and you can have all the fun of drifting without the risk of cops or injury
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.