[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starter Out: What Do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 92_95_sable_wagon_006.jpg (43KB, 575x382px) Image search: [Google]
92_95_sable_wagon_006.jpg
43KB, 575x382px
Hi guys. I have a 1994 Mercury Sable wagon, exactly like pic related. My starter is now completely out and won't even try to turn over when I turn the key.

My question to you guys is: how hard is it to replace the starter on your own? Car has the 3.0 V6, btw.

Thanks for any help!
>>
>>15136996
Please help.
>>
Rather ask google to have you redirected on some of the forums, /o/ is uncapable of helping you out.
>>
>>15136996
If you have no mechanical experience itll probably be a bitch to do.

and you'll probably need a jack and jack stands to get it up .
>>
>>15137123
I have access to ramps, but my mechanic experience is limited to me giving this car tune ups, oil changes, and swapping the alternator.
>>
>>15136996
Still nothing?
>>
>>15136996
It's not too hard, but you will need extensions and will have to bend your body in to weird positions to get to it

It's bolted on the side where the engine and transmission meet, if you can't find it just follow your positive battery cable
>>
Pretty easy, front and center
>>
>>15136996
Just sold my 90 Taurus, buy the Haynes manual. It shouldn't be that hard bro.
>>
>>15136996
Thanks fellas. I can do it with some basic tools and ramps, right?
>>
>>15140628
Yes no more than a socket set, you will no doubt been extension bars though
>>
Get someone that knows what they're doing to help you.
Do you have a volt meter? Does your friend? Make sure the battery is charged. Obvious, really.
Now, try bypassing the starter solenoid. Most I've seen have two large posts that positive and negative wires are attached to. You'll want to bridge the gap between the two with a screwdriver. Do it just for a second, wear gloves if you're a pansy. If the starter moves, the solenoid is fucked. Replace it. Things like that are usually common enough to be purchased on the spot at an auto parts store.
If that doesn't work, try hitting the starter motor a couple of times with a mallet. Lubricants can dry up over the course of 20 years and actually keep the starter motor from moving. You're trying to break them up. A bit of CRC (Formula 656, of course) might help as well. It certainly won't hurt.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.