[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Millennials hate driving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 261
Thread images: 30

File: normies.jpg (494KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
normies.jpg
494KB, 900x600px
Why do millennials hate driving and against owning cars?

I'm 20 and many of my friends and classmates don't even have a learners permit yet. A lot of them don't even see a need to own one or learn how to drive and I've been ridiculed for having an interest in them and owning 2 shitboxes that I work on.

What gives?
>>
>>15093660
Same, I'm 19 taking auto tech classes at a community college (for the ASE certs) and work at a walmart TLE. I'm the youngest at both places by far. Most of my friends think I'm weird and stupid for owning two cars and funneling most of my paychecks into both of them.
>>
>>15093660
most people have no interest in cars. millenials are just in a position where they dont need a car for work yet because lolnojob

your average person thinks their car is an appliance and sees no difference between having a car and ubering
>>
All of my friends like cars.

Get better friends faggot.
>>
>>15093739
how do i find people who like them
>>
Not saying that this pertains to you, but it seems that most millies abhor the prospect of responsibility and having to take any upon themselves. Cars are a huge commitment. Plus most seem to want to be perpetual children with no desire to leave home or grow the fuck up. So as long as mommy and daddy will drive them to the con so that they can rock their cosplay, they will be content in not owning a vehicle.
>>
>>15093660
its responsibility, they are hiding from it
>>
Because the ADD generation values instant self gratification and empty "popularity" on "social media" among peers too much to be bothered putting down the appledroid ismartdevice for 5 minutes to do something productive or challenging. Anything not piss-easy and inclusive to all "underprivileged individuals" is dangerous to the fragile millenial psyche, so working on cars and enjoying racing is taboo. Plus, it's the archetypal 20th century masculine trait to want a car and the freedom of self-transport, and anything historically masculine is problematic.

Also, muh environment.

But honestly, if you look in the right circles, there are millenial car enthusiasts too, I have met them and helped some out who are just starting in the hobby.
>>
>>15093743

IDK I still hang out with my friends from elementary school and they all just grew up liking what I do; cars and jeeps/land cruisers, guns, mountain biking, skiing, etc.

So find a group of friends like me.
>>
because driving is a boring chore
>>
caring about millennials
>>
Most of them assume that if you want a car it'll cost five digits, and they don't want more debt on top of student loans. Also being raised by the helicopter parent generation, many have no clue how to take care of their own car (let alone themselves) and thus are scared to try to get something cheaper off Craigslist.
>>
>>15093660
It depends on where you live, where I grew up you had to have a car to get anywhere. I got my licence when I was 15 and have driven ever since. I own only one car at the moment due to space but am going to get a project here soon.
>>
>>15093771
>Muh penis compensators
Kek masculinity so fragile
>>
>>15093660
Millennials don't see driving as a hobby or a form of escapism since we have
>video games
>social media
>the internet in general
all easily available and for next to nothing.

"Normies" spend too much on clothes and alcohol so they think driving is expensive. Anti-social people don't want to do anything where they can fail and most see cars as more stress than they want in their lives. The people ARE into cars keep to themselves since they either can't afford insurance for a car they would be proud of or have no friends/community to share their love of driving with.
>>
>>15093660
It's described to them as a chore, and having fun cars is condemned by poorfags who bellow about compensation while jacking off to leased entry level luxury cars.
>>
Lol at this faggotry. I'm 20 and everyone I know drives a car unless they're some college freshman without one.
>>
>>15093724
>Most of my friends think I'm weird and stupid for owning two cars and funneling most of my paychecks into both of them.
They are right that is pretty stupid.
>>
>>15093660
After having spent 3 years teaching and selling to millennials I will try and sum up the biggest problems with them as a generation:

-Helicopter parents resulting in little to no understanding of how to function as an adult in the real world

-Coming from parents will little to no practical skills means they have no idea how to buy or maintain a shit box, and most were pulled in to /g/ or /v/ related hobbies

-Complete lack of any real perspective on the world due to being consumer by social media

-Metric fuck loads of them who have worthless degrees and thus stagger around with 40K in loan debt for their women and gender's studies/philosophy/history/art degree

-Boomer level sense of entitlement (born from the complete lack of practical skills, real world perspective, and useless degrees)
>>
File: porscherally.jpg (246KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
porscherally.jpg
246KB, 1200x800px
>>15093660
A: Cars, even beaters, are expensive and the recent economic issues have young people paying a little more attention to their wallets.

B: Do you live in an urban area? Cars are often just not necessary to daily life in such places.

C: Commuting and any driving in traffic sucks donkey dick. It's just time out of your life. You can't do much except sit there, listen to some music and wait to get to your destination. There's pretty much no connection between enjoying spirited driving and how you feel about daily driving where there are other people.

Everyone I know who's actually into cars is from a rural or semi-rural area where they had to drive to get anywhere and there were places to have fun with it. If you grow up elsewhere it makes perfect sense to have other priorities.

>>15093724
Your friends are right. You're selling time out of your young life to buy shit for a pair of cars. Think about that.

>>15093771
>>15093758
>>15093754
Oh look here come the internet hardasses. There's an economic explanation for trends like this besides your superiority complex.
>>
Cars are about as important as a means for travel as they've always been, they're just weakening as a status symbol for teenagers/young adults. Probably because a large degree of independence that they used to only get with a car is afforded to them a lot earlier on with access to smartphones/the internet.

Will probably see this trend continue as self-driving cars become a reality and ridesharing gets even bigger.
>>
>>15093771
This has to be copypasta from one of those "I hate millennials" facebook pages for grumpy boomers, gen x-ers and self-loathing "tfw born in the wrong generation" millennials.
>>
I'm 20 and a lot of my friends either:

A: own a car because they need it to drive to school, work, etc, but don't see it as any more than transportation

B: like their car and are convinced it's cool, but don't realize that they don't drive anything more than a base model econobox

Or C: don't drive because their older sibling is their taxi
>>
>>15094301
>tfw pretended to nocar for three years as to never be designated driver
>>
I'm 18, still no license yet. I'm holding off until I become a Texas resident to do so. I'm trying to save my parents the insurance money.

We're supposed to be getting nearly $100k come August from inheritance, and they're going to use part of that to buy me a first car. All my friends love driving, half of them own anything from FiSTs to M4s.

I'm probably just going to get an LS430 and save my parents the cash.
>>
Every girl I talk to hates driving.
Also never had a girlfriend.
>>
well, it's a good thing kinda.

less idiots on the road, less traffic

and its a sign that public transport is doing well.
>>
>>15093660
plenty of young people love cars they just drive hondas civics and hyundai tiburons and vape and are probably mexican
>>
because cars are for poorfags, millennials are working hard through college and after to achieve their dreams and to make the world they were left with a better place, and they are smart enough to not fall for the work with your hands meme that achieves nothing in this new era. The less you get your hands dirty, the smarter you are
>>
>>15094455
>working hard through college and after to achieve their dreams

When will this meme end?
This fucking society and its bloated ambitions.
>>
>>15094496
when you become smart enough to stop replying to bait
>>
>>15094506
I know this was bait, but the question remains.
>>
Because cars are just another dumb luxury to "strive for" because that's the "normal" thing to "strive for".

How about you just get a cheap little car and be happy with your life. Cars don't bring anything to your life other than getting you from point a to point b. You truly are vain if you think your car somehow makes you a better person just because it can do a burnout or is rear wheel drive. Your car won't make you a more interesting person at a party; do you want to be known for the kind of person you are or as the guy that owns the M3 out front? Newsflash - nobody cares and nobody goes home wishing they were you just because you own a Shelby gt500.

Having a separate car for race tracks is ok. That's actually a hobby worth doing.

So don't blame millennials for seeing through the bullshit consumerism and not being sucked in by some leather and fancy screens and power they'll never use.
>>
>>15094580
>So don't blame millennials for seeing through the bullshit consumerism

Ah!
>>
>>15094455
I'm a millennial and I love working with my hands. I just got out of high school and I'm not going to college. I'm going to be an electrician, and I do sidework in the tree business.
>>
>>15094608
Yeah. Well consumerism has pushed that if you don't drive a luxury vehicle you're a lesser person.

Like Cadillacs new commercials. "Those who dare are better people and better people drive Cadillac". Fuck off.

And there are people that think if you drive an American car you're a lesser person. Fuck off too
>>
>>15094580
That's exactly how millennial don't think.
>>
>>15094624
Did someone make fun of youCavalier, anon?
>>
>>15094580
>typed from my iPad
>>
>>15094624
>Well consumerism has pushed that if you don't drive a luxury vehicle you're a lesser person.
That's not consumerism you retard, that's basic human reaction.

In history if you weren't a lord you were a peasant.
>>
>>15094641
No. And even if they did I wouldn't care because my car doesn't define me. What I do defines me.

And besides I don't even own a car so I know. But when I buy a car, what drives me to buy a car won't be how others will perceive me. It will be about value and simplicity.

If you want to make a statement like Chinese people go ahead and buy an Audi and be like Chinese losers that just do it to separate themselves from the poor.
>>
>>15094673
Did some Chads laugh at you while waiting for the bus?
>>
>>15094686
I don't ride the bus though I respect those that do.
>>
>>15094689
Did mom buy the wrong brand of tendies?
>>
>>15094209
unless your city got a metro there is no way that the bus is better than a car. Using a transportation method that barely outrun a pedestrian fucking suck. Trust me even kids who cant park a car at school/work will eventually get a shitbox.
>>
>be millenial
>live in a crowded, endless suburban hell where there are no good roads and cops are everywhere
>lol no tracks (besides a really small meh go kart track)
>drivers around here are fucking terrible, so you can't even really enjoy cruising
>probably the only way you can enjoy cars at all is parking lot meet-ups, which is why a lot of stancefags live in this area and a lot of old muscle cars sit in garages slowly rotting away
>can't do autocross even though there are miles of parking lots available
>insurance is through the fucking roof so you have to buy something boring and practical or piss blood

>and you wonder why millenials have no passion for driving
>>
>>15094580
Holy shit you fucking normie get off my board
>>
File: TBHFAM.png (189KB, 3375x2000px) Image search: [Google]
TBHFAM.png
189KB, 3375x2000px
>>15094720
>>insurance is through the fucking roof so you have to buy something boring and practical or piss blood
>>
>>15094720
Why do you need passion for driving. Driving is just driving to most people.

There are 1 billion drivers on the road in the world. Last I checked all the race tracks in the world have about 1 million registrants. So do the math. Driving is not meant to be a hobby. It's a means of getting around.

I ride a bike around and save. Cars get you home quicker but you get home quicker to just play with yourself so good for you. I'm out in the world experiencing the weather and nature and you're at home in the bathroom.
>>
>>15094623
Not everyone is like you

I'm going to college for mechanical and aerospace engineering. The amount of work and studying that needs to be done is insane, not to mention having an internship at Northrop.
>>
>>15094752
Why do you study space. You are on earth.
>>
>>15094720
>tfw 10 years ago there were plenty of tracks in Sydney
>tfw people started building houses around them
>tfw middle aged moms brought those houses knowing there was a track right next to them, yet still complained about the noise, resulting in most tracks that weren't a million miles away being shut down
feels bad man.
>>
>>15093660
Probably 70% of all the students at my uni are into cars. But it's an engineering school. I bet if you asked a libral arts school you find a bunch of hipster faggots who hate cars.
>>
>>15094177
lpg got it right on the nose
>>
File: Au238mZq.png (114KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Au238mZq.png
114KB, 256x256px
>>15094767
Because I want to be a planetman.
>>
>>15094768
NIMBYs not once, uleh.
>>
Is everyone working 20 hours a week at McDonalds and supporting 3 kids?

The cost to own a car is not that expensive.

Christ.
>>
>>15094768
>most were pulled in to /g/ or /v/ related hobbies
Don't forget /a/. At the university I go to you're weird if you don't follow some sort of anime or manga.
>>
>>15094177
>-Helicopter parents resulting in little to no understanding of how to function as an adult in the real world
My parents actually did a pretty good job. Forced me to do my own stuff with my own money so I had to work to pay for things.
>-Coming from parents will little to no practical skills means they have no idea how to buy or maintain a shit box, and most were pulled in to /g/ or /v/ related hobbies
Dad was a mechanical engineer that became part of a Fortune 500 company, Mom also worked for said company as an accountant. I never got a car until I was out of college with a job because I never had enough money for one, including insurance and maintenance. I carpooled with friends instead.

/g/ and /v/ hobbies is very true for me.
>-Complete lack of any real perspective on the world due to being consumer by social media
The most social media I use is checking facebook once a day to see what my friends are up to. I only friend people I know.
>-Metric fuck loads of them who have worthless degrees and thus stagger around with 40K in loan debt for their women and gender's studies/philosophy/history/art degree
Good thing I got an economics degree so I can work with taxes (which is my internship with a different Fortune 500 company)
>-Boomer level sense of entitlement (born from the complete lack of practical skills, real world perspective, and useless degrees)
I've no sense of entitlement. I get what I deserve for what I do. Nobody owes me anything. That kind of thing is what my parents taught me.

Obviously I'm not the rule.
>>
File: 1462331170961.jpg (147KB, 640x675px) Image search: [Google]
1462331170961.jpg
147KB, 640x675px
I have a younger cousin (20/m) who I taught how to drive stick a few times in the parking lot but he says he'd rather save his money.

I even told him of all the great things about having a car, like picking up girls, learning new skills (repairs and basic maintenance), and having the freedom to go anywhere you want.

But he isn't biting. He says he's okay with taking the bus.

What do I do br/o/s?
>>
File: IMG_20130920_134639.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130920_134639.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>15094888
Obviously you have exceptions man, but that's just my opinion from having had to deal with them close up the last 3 years.

My wife's two roommates from undergrad are prime examples. Bullshit degrees in shit fields. Both are still waiting tables unable to find a real job. Neither have any concept of how to function or operate in the real world/zero practical skills. Tons of student loan debt. One is now going back for a masters in gender studies.

Social media bullshit was also all consuming, at least among the kids I was tasked with trying to teach during my masters. You were lucky to pull their heads out of a phone for 5 minutes to try and cram some knowledge into them. And most are so self centered it was almost sickening

>pic related, a kid I had in class for an entire semester. Literally spent every day talking about shoes, watches, clothes, and hats
>>
>>15094944
>He says he's okay with taking the bus.
The choice is clear

Tell him to drive buses for a living
>>
>>15094948
>Obviously you have exceptions man, but that's just my opinion from having had to deal with them close up the last 3 years.
I know, I've lived it with a front row seat. Many people would rather sit on their phone than have a conversation, complain how mom and dad didn't get them the phone that they wanted, and go nuts over whatever meme shit was on Twitter that day.

I was talking with a guy the other day taking out the trash while I was baking some chicken for dinner, he said "man I wish I knew how to cook. It's probably expensive though." while he talked about his four dollar chicken microwave dinners. Who lives like that?

I can't wait to see what the weight of responsibility does to these people. They'll probably provide more of your late-night dealership stories.
>>
>>15094989
>man I wish I knew how to cook.

Like it's hard ...
>>
>>15095000
Exactly. It's literally preparing the food with seasonings, throw in the oven, and wait. The internet is chock full of recipes and guides. There's no excuse other than laziness or fear of the unknown.
>>
>>15095013
>fear of the unknown.

They're nuking "chicken" and goo.
>>
My brother in law just surprised his son with a shitbox Cavalier as an early 18th birthday/graduation present. Kid looked at it with complete disgust and asked if that meant he wouldn't be getting rides to community college. He wants to grow up to be an anime artist. I weep for this generation.
>>
>>15095028
As far as they know, that's easier than having to watch food so it doesn't burn and that's all they care about.
>>
>>15095048
Your brother and you fucked up.
>>15095050
Lucky broads think guys who can cook is sexy.
>>
>>15095067
>Lucky broads think guys who can cook is sexy.
That's what my mom always said. We'll see if that's true. I can't deal with most women my age. There are a few here and there that are really great and fun, but way too many of them are divas and and not nearly enough of them have the body of a diva.
>>
File: 1386132762547.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1386132762547.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>15095048
>wants to grow up to be an anime artist

Oh god, that reminds me of trying to talk to kids in my classes about what sort of career they want for themselves

>Me: So dipshitMcClownshoes, what are your career plans for after college?
>him: I wanna be a video game designer
>Me: Excellent! What sort of math and programming classes have you got lined out?
>him: Uh, why would I need to know math or programming to do video game design? I just wanna like, write out the story and stuff
>>
>>15094948
>One is now going back for a masters in gender studies.
I nearly had a masters in gender studies when I went to university back in the 90's, first year girls will fuck nearly anything, anywhere but by the 3rd year they get trickier to nail.

Anyway, employed a lot of millennials and run tech/customer service training courses for them over the last 15 or so years. Lot of them are keen to work and learn, but they're generally easily bored and need a lot of new challenges constantly- or they go into media-mode, fuck around with their phone, update social media and generally wonder when its snack time or some shit. Being a bit of a cunt I blocked facebook-twitter and a fair few other popular sites at the firewall- then gave them clear instructions on 'what to do' when things got quiet. To their credit they did actually do those things but it was often a case of putting them in a group of people who came from different age groups and could act as a mentor to give them some work ethics.

But overall, its kind of nice to have groups of people that generally know how to use a computer and aren't terrified of a phone.
I've also employed people from age groups of up to boomers and most boomers tended to fuck around and spend more time shirking- finding ways to do less work, while still actually turning up on the job and exploiting ways to get paid more by doing even less work.
>kill me

>Millenials on cars
They do, but the higher end of society doesn't because they're just sort of entitled 'post-boomers' at that stage. I'd roll up to work in my old R32 GTR, Silvia or GTO and there's now a whole new generation ruined that ran out and bought grey-market jap cars as a result.
>>
>>15094853
>tfw i just got a quote for a monthly premium of $454.69
what a rip
>>
>>15095090
iktf
>>15095318
Fuck, how many nuns did you run over to get that quote?
>>
>>15094853
>The cost to own a car is not that expensive.

Compared to what, exactly?

Next to buying a house and an education, a car is the most expensive purchase the average person makes. And unlike a house and an education, a car usually doesn't end up paying for itself.
>>
>>15095351
pretty much shot myself in the foot by being sort of like what op described
>20
>didn't get my license until last august since i didn't have a real need for it
>need to a buy a car to get to and from my internship this summer and just for driving around
>looking at a $6k '03 525i because it's in my budget, looks great, no prior reported accidents or complications
enter all that info in and i'm boned
>>
>>15095351
The problem is almost all insurance companies have what they call an 'inexperienced operator' clause, which basically means the first 3 years you have your license, you get bat shit high quotes on any policy

If you get your DL at 16, and go on your parents insurance, then it's not all that bad, because by the time you get out on your own, it will have fallen off and rates will be reasonable

If you get your DL later in life then try to go get coverage on your own, you will get fucking rekt. I know from experience because it happened to my wife. Her mother wouldn't let her get her DL so she had to wait till she was off at college and her and I were serious enough that she could go on my insurance policy

A shitty salvage title '96 Blazer was costing her 1600 for 6 months of bare minimum liability coverage. Once the three years past and the 'inexperienced operator' shit fell off, her rates dropped to 47 a month on full coverage for her Pilot
>>
File: 1440644004228.jpg (1MB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
1440644004228.jpg
1MB, 4500x4334px
>>15094580

>Cars are just for getting from a to b

Then take the bus you faggot. Its cheaper and safer.
>>
>>15095418
Did you get driver's ed? I had that and it knocked off a good chunk.
>>
>getting full coverage under the age of 25
Are you stupid? Buy a shitbox with cash and get bottom barrel liability from a backwoods insurer.
Fucking millennials.
>>
File: DSC_2546.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2546.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
I believe the cars themselves are partially to blame. The average car has gotten less powerful, quieter, boring, and dangerous with bad handling characteristics because of FWD.

Just look at this lineup of my coworkers cars. It's no wonder why they come into work looking like emotionless robots.
>>
>>15095481
Nice CVPI, officer.
>>
>>15095472
I did and it did help. That was another thing that killed my wife, she's never done driver's ed.

Hell her parents hadn't taught her shit all about driving, I taught her to drive in my SLK
>>
>>15095481
Quieter and boring sure, but cars are much more powerful and handle better than they used to

I'll take those camry's or that civic in a race against your crown vic any day

>>15093739
>>
>>15093660

Traffic
Model Choice
No Money
>>
>>15095645
>m-my car is boring and understeers to all hell but I win in a benchrace!
>>
>>15093660
thanks for reminding me to add a filter for "millenials"
>>
>>15095677
>my car is heavy as shit with mediocre power but its cool because its RWD

Civics are way more fun to drive than any crown vic.
>>
>>15095716
and driving a crown vic you have no room to talk about "boring"
>>
>>15094324
Go for the LS460, the LS430 is wildly outdated
>>
>>15095732
>>15095716
Civic owner detected
>>
>>15095851
Accord actually, but close
>>
>>15093660
I have a few theories

1) Cars as a hobby is way more expensive than 30-60 yrs ago. Combined with lower purchasing power it's not feasible unless you only work on shitboxes or come from money

2) because of (1) millennials modify their technology instead, but they are classed as geeks anyway since taking apart your hard drive is less sexy than being shirtless and covered in grease

3) Even then, the sex appeal of cars is gone because they are very much designed with convenience in mind, and car modification becomes too niche to be sexy, it's only for hobbyists, like flying small planes

there's no real incentive for normie millennials to get into cars, unless they have an autistic interest in mechanics. Combine that with the extremely time-consuming social upkeep of millennial normies (social media), they just don't have the (1) money, (2) desire or (3) time
>>
>>15094689
but you cant extend that argument to everything anon. It works for the people who buy and thats it, but for people who build its more than just statement. In reality, humans strive for attention no man is an island no matter how much you want to be you edgy faggot
>>
>>15095048
Why wouldn't he look at it with disgust? Its a shitbox, nobody wants a shitbox.
>>
I think people are working more than they used to, with technology work never leaves them.

Dad's don't have to time to sit down and teach their sons about cars, their to busy dealing with work and other bullshit
>>
>>15096032
Also cars just aren't built like they used too

Its a lot harder to rebuild a modern car engine than one made back in the 60s
>>
File: wojackurassic.jpg (157KB, 481x1334px) Image search: [Google]
wojackurassic.jpg
157KB, 481x1334px
>>15093660

>millennial
>have millennial friends
>they have jobs, cars, houses, and shit
>they like cars, trucks, and off roading
>had other millennial friends
>SJWs, hipsters, getting useless liberal arts degrees
>wow what a bunch of fags
>stop hanging around said fags

your friends suck. get new ones

It also helps living in a semi rural area where you pretty much need a car. Now if I could find car enthusiasts who aren't beaners with rimz, subaru/vw fags, coal rollers, etc
>>
>>15093660
Millenials, for the most part, just don't care about cars. It's not that they hate them or driving in general, it's because they see it as a chore and just don't care.

It's just an appliance, it's just for getting from A to B, it just werks etc. Most people don't care about how fast it is or how quick it laps around the Hurrdurring, just what it looks like or how others will perceive themselves in it.

Hell, most are opting to not have a car at all, especially if they live in an area that has reasonable public transportation.

Why do you think car manufacturers are putting so much "sync your phone up with your car" tier technology into their products? It's to try and make their shit appeal to people who otherwise don't give a flying fuck about cars.
>>
>>15095973
>Money
Yep, I'm poor as fuck.
>Desire
Oh, it's there alright. I'm saving everything that i don't need to spend on my bikes maintenance (Or fixing up my other bike) to get a shitbox to work on, but it's just coming along painfully slow.
>Time
Hardly any of that either. Working all the time for shit pay leaves little time to do anything else. Can't really work less otherwise that poor situation gets way worse.
>>
>>15095973
Cars are money pit. No point being into cars as a poor fuck.
>>
I used to have a passion for cars then I just outgrew it as it became boring and the high cost didn't help either. Now I'm middle aged and drive a regular toyota corolla to work. Heck I rarely drive it anywhere but work. Aside from grocery shopping everything else can be done via online shopping these days.

Not to mention with the hype for Tesla and maybe in the future with self driving cars the interest in driving will be considered history.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (13KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
13KB, 210x240px
>>15094712
there's always the alternative to the metro
the geo metro
>>
owning a car is expensive.

only really pays off if you have house out in the suburbs. which is also expensive.
>>
I bought my first car at 24. Yea youre right. I didnt see a need to get one and yes, cars are expensive.
>>
>>15094720
>Mazdaspeed 3
>21, no accidents, pay less in insurance than a Honda Civic Si my friend has
>4 door hatchback turbo somehow even pays less than an impreza
>>
Reminder that a Millennial is someone born between the 1980's and 2000's and if you were born before that you're way too old to be on 4chan.
>>
>>15093660
Shitting on millenials is pretty cliché, and we millenials hate clichés. Now go back to watching The Price is Right with your TV dinner, Grandpa.
>>
>>15094580
>Cars don't bring anything to your life other than getting you from point a to point b.
They bring enjoyment. I know faggots like you have no concept of enjoying driving, but not everyone is like you.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
Ehhh I'm 21, live by myself and own my dad's Lancer that he sold me for $3000, did this all when I was 18.

Had about $12,000 saved up from working at Maccas.

Had only 130,000km on it and came with the spolier and body kit as well.

Spent rest of my money on my apartment, and insurance. My insurance will go down next year when I get my full licence.

>Pic somewhat related, that lancer looks like mine
>>
>>15094216
nice point
>>
>>15094209
Simple entitlement and a lack of drive has left young people applying to target, sears, mcdonalds, and nothing else, because harder jobs with better pay are below them.

>Commuting and any driving in traffic sucks donkey dick.
Walking sucks donkey dick. Time out of your life, sore feet, exposure to the weather, vulnerability to random fucks. Any transportation in a civilized area sucks donkey dick.
>>
>>15094749
>There are 1 billion drivers on the road in the world
HAHAHAH
>>
>>15094749
>i'm getting rained on, phenomena that occur multiple times a day are so amazing brb writing poetry
>everyone else is just jerking off heh

the irony
>>
This must just be an American problem
Every young guy I know is obsessed with cars and driving
>>
>>15098018
Canada here, same thing. Maybe it's just a california problem? What state are you from, OP?
>>
>>15098035
It probably is just a Cali thing. Because most of them are so used to public transit they can't think any other way. Their brains have been fried.

And before anyone tells me that public transit is great, I don't know about where you're from but here are some of the things that I've had happen on the bus:
1. Saw a homeless man jacking off.
2. Saw a (maybe homeless, not sure) woman shoot heroin.
3. Saw a homeless man take a piss.
4. Saw a homeless woman take a piss.
5. Some crackhead pulled a knife on my teacher when I was in high school. I was on the same bus.
6. Been stuck in the rain for 2 hours because the bus stop had no cover and there was a stabbing on the bus and the buses were delayed. It was cold and wet.

Here's the worst things I've had happen to me in my car:
1. Some old lady flipped me off.
2. Been stuck in traffic for 1 hour because someone tried to jump off an overpass and they shut down the freeway, I couldn't get off. It was warm and dry.
>>
>>15098163
The only people who say transit is great have never driven.

In high school, when I discovered transit, it was the best thing in the world. I mean, I could go anywhere I wanted in my city! Anytime! And I didn't need to ask my mum to drive me! I had such a good time, I couldn't see myself ever getting a car. Transit was just so good.

Then I turned 16 and got my L. I figured I should learn to drive, even if I don't use it. Then I started driving to work... and I realized how garbage transit actually was, compared to driving myself. My own climate controls? My own speed? No bus stops? No walking?

I haven't taken transit since, under any circumstance. I drive, or I cab.

tl;dr: the only people who say transit is good are underageb&
>>
>>15093771
I would talk shit, but I value attention on an anonymous Filipino flipbook imageboard
>>
>>15093660
>Why do millennials hate driving and against owning cars?
They hate caring about property and they hate getting their hands dirty. And of course they hate everything associated with emissions and global warming (millennials also love pop-science).
>>
>>15095696
>millenial
you would just filter other illiterates.
>>
>>15093660
>they're not interested in something
>therefore they hate it

American logic.
>>
>>15097649
You had 12k saved by the time you were 18? Interesting... What's macas?

I worked from 16 on, full time in the summer and part time during the school year but had to pay for clothes, gas and all other misc fun myself and wasn't able to save that much before college.
>>
>>15094327
My mom loves driving.
>>
>>15098819
He's Australian, so 12k is like barely anything at all.
>>
I fucking hate driving to work, the traffic is terrible here. I would love a self driving car as a DD and drive impractical fun things on the weekends
>>
>>15098819
mcdonald's

>>15098401
where's the green stigma coming from? granted, society as a whole is moving towards trying to become more eco-friendly, but i think most people, in this case millennials, as an individual don't really care all that much
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 286x322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 286x322px
>>15093754
Boomer detected.
>>
>20
>live in the GTA/Toronto
>if i want even a shitbox from 2000 i will be paying at least 350 dollars a month because of my age

This is why everyone hates having cars in the gta but has to have them anyway because they are required to do anything.
>>
>>15098185
transit is good sometimes
>in the valley
>want to go to LA/hollywood area in the evening
>1hour of traffic to get there
>10min drive to subway, 15min bus ride
>walk a half mile to destination
that's not bad, shit like
>>15098163
mentioned does happen but not really a daily occurence and I don't exactly live in the greatest area. Lots of homeless people sleep on the subways though
>>
>>15097611
>They bring enjoyment

Unless you live in an urban area, in which case you're driving in traffic 90% of the time and that's really not enjoyable at all.

Usually more enjoyable than walking or taking the bus (unless parking in your city is dogshit), but it's still nothing to get excited about.

When I lived in NYC, the subway was way faster for getting around most of the time so my car was just for getting out of the city on the weekends.
>>
>>15099405
>this hit way too close to home. Better call him a boomer.
>>
>>15099545
Every generation has losers and underachievers

Every older generation bitches at the younger one
>>
>>15094888
>I never got a car until I was out of college with a job because I never had enough money for one, including insurance and maintenance. I carpooled with friends instead.

I was kinda similar.
>high school was kinda close to my house
>college was 3 miles from my house
>insurance costs 1500/yr + initial investment of car + gas money
>had no job while going to college because of workload
>had learners permit until I was 22 because I didn't have to pay for insurance then.
buying Alcohol and doing important paperwork with an learners permit got me a lot of snide comments and looks.

also, stay in school and don't drop out of college. It will fuck you up.
>>
>>15093660
They're expensive, and so are phones. Boomers have made it so they can't afford them anyway.
>>
>>15093724
19 isn't millennial, you're gen Z. Gen Y is millennial.

I'm 19, I'm the very last of my friends and family to get my license (of which I'm taking my exam next week but it's Florida so I'll pass anyway) because I'm a nervous driver. I grew up in three different states, went to a lot of different schools and everyone there, no matter rural or urban, wanted cars and had licenses. Tons of them like cars too. Fuck, my boyfriend is joking about dumping me because my first car is automatic and not manual.
>Also cars are sexist and masculine and ableist check your fucking privilege cis scum
>>15094177
This guy is completely right. Plus its not even fun to drive most places anymore due to everything being speed traps to raise city revenue now.
I'd rather not get raped on an uber though. Fuck that.
>>
>>15099658
>19 isn't millennial, you're gen Z. Gen Y is millennial.

That's wrong. Millennials are born between 1982 and 2004. Gen Y and Z basically got lumped together because they're so similar.
>>
>>15099773
Oh shit, you're right. I was looking at an outdated article. Thanks man.
FUCK IM A MILLENIAL.
>>
I'm close to 19 and only have a bike license

hold me /o/ I've made a mistake
>>
>>15094324
Get a crown vic or a lincoln towncar and save 'em even more.
>>
>>15094624
Dusenberg did it too, it's just that back then they were right. Cadillac now? Don't make me laugh, they're trying to appeal to women, lol.
>>
>>15093743
4chan

No seriously, out of all the people I hang out with and do car related things with only one of them isn't from /o/
>>
I don't really blame them. It's expensive and in the future you'll have all kinds of options like ride sharing, ultra-short term rentals, and group-owned cars and whatever else. And in maybe another 15 years won't even have to know how to drive to "drive" a car.
>>
>>15099425
I'd you're on goodness with your parents ask them to put you in their policy, it's how I could afford to drive a Porsche when I was 19 in the GTA
>>
>>15100228

So what i pay them and put the insurance under their name or something? Say they are the main driver? Will that not just prolong the fact of when i go and get my own policy i will be paying still a shit ton or will it change due to age and it will count as years being insured no?
>>
>>15100268
Basically. Insurance rates tend to drop significantly when you turn 24 as long as you have a clean record

Also driving an old man's car instead of a boi racer special usually helps as well
>>
>>15100228
Is this legal? Also will you get the no claim bonus in your name? By the way how much did you pay for the Porsche(Boxster I presume)?
>>
>>15093660
Did you know the most accepted definition of millenials includes people born as early as 1982? I didn't until I actually looked it up.
>>
>>15100398
Well it's not illegal. My dad's in the insurance business and it's what he suggested, not sure about the claim bonus

I paid like $7000 for my Boxster, wasn't much more than an NB Miata
>>
>>15100514
>1982
That can't be right, we have nothing in common with them.
>>
>>15093660
Because a car just sits there depreciating 98% of the time. Millennials (or which I am one) actually get it. Particularly as the millennial dream is to live in a big city and use public transportation, when they need a car they'd rather rent one (hence Uber, car sharing...)

One of several reasons individual car ownership will become the small exception rather than the norm in the next decades.
>>
>millenials
What fucking purpose does this arbitrary ass term serve?
>>
>>15100536
it's a term meant to define the second-to-most recent generation with several negative connotations
>>
>>15100568
what's the latest generation called?
>>
>>15100579
Gen Z? Terminals?
>>
>>15100536
Everyone born from approximately 1980-1999, give or take a couple years since people will argue over the exact time frame. Basically anyone that was still growing up when the new millennium rolled around, those born afterwards are the next and currently unnamed generation that's had a smartphone in their hand since they were literal babies.
>>
File: 1463647701697.jpg (96KB, 750x736px) Image search: [Google]
1463647701697.jpg
96KB, 750x736px
>>15100568
It's absolutely meaningless. Not to mention generations are defined by retarded criteria to begin with.
>>
>>15100597
Millennials: grew up with the internet
Gen Z: grew up with a smartphone
>>
>>15100597
So the average 4chan poster?
>>
>>15100597
I get that, I just can't understand why anyone with half a brain uses it. Hearing it makes my blood boil, and it's not just because I'm one of them.
>>
>>15100579
Generation Trump

The kids that grew up when America was made great again.
>>
>>15100614
I'm born in 1985 and feel like I don't have much generationally in common with someone born in 1995. Not better or worse, it's just a lot of things from my childhood were different.

I agree the whole generational thing is dumb.
>>
I'm only 19 but I don't dislike driving I'm just scared shitless of it, how the fuck do people drive on the free way honestly? Or whatever its called where you have to get all the way to the right to get on the exit just to get off and if for some reason you slow down by pure accident or something happens you might be just completely fucked dead I mean espacially in big towns I don't know it just spooks the living fuck out of me to drive and to even try to think about driving and getting my license
>>
>>15100614
Because people have been using the term for decades now. It's not some new concept.

>>15100612
>the average poster being born before 2000

kek, maybe in 2007.

>>15100610
Basically. Millennials were also the first kids to get their own regular cellphones since they became small and inexpensive enough.
>>
>>15100630
You sound like a giant pussy desu famalam
>>
>>15100641
Thanks faggot you're just like everyone else instead of actually saying something that would maybe encourage me or help to get over my fears of driving you say that, Kill yourself
>>
>>15100644
pussy
>>
>>15100628
Yeah, I never got why someone born in 85 would be grouped with someone born in 97.
>>15100632
Yeah, it may not be a new concept, but it's a retarded one.
>>15100630
Have you been in a wreck before, by chance?
>>
The 'millennials' are the echo of the baby boomers. So they're a large cohort like the boomers were (since they're the boomer's children). Gen X was a demographic tough, as are their children Gen Z.

"Gen X" is all about the frustration of not being able to shape society; of living perpetually in the shadow of the boomers. Gen Y and Z will have the same relationship.
>>
>>15100657
You know, back in the day we were called latchkey kids, or bust gen. There was something called the Jones gen too.
>>
File: 1315847419910.jpg (12KB, 300x245px) Image search: [Google]
1315847419910.jpg
12KB, 300x245px
Lol I'm 21 and only 4 people drive in my class at university, including me. We are 3 guys and 1 woman.

I get less pussy than I expected, though.

>mfw most classmates are scared or refuse to ride in my shitbox because I did a WOT acceleration once with one of the girls

Fear my 72 hp.
>>
>>15095481
>Hurr they're so boring
>drives taxi
>>
>>15100678
Nobody cares
>>
File: 1410803249191.gif (934KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1410803249191.gif
934KB, 400x300px
>>15100655
Kinda when I was younger my mom was driving me up to school or somewhere I can't really remember where to, but while we driving the dumbass kid I was playing with the handle of the seat I was in and the doors for some reason wasn't locked, and while I was playing with it suddenly the door slams open and I essentially get sucked out, It was horrific honestly I imagine to be kinda like in space where your in a pressurized room and then all of a sudden a huge hole comes and just sucks you out. Anyway I didn't fly out actually I was holding ot the little armrest or whatever it was called that was already on the door, while that was happening my mother looked back at me and was screaming my name while trying to drive at the same time. The wind pushing against my face because we were going so fucking fast for some fucking reason, but I slowly just pulled myself back in and closed the door. I don't really know if that counts as an accident or not but yeah that's the only thing I can really remember about Accidents related to cars.
>>
>>15100683

I know I just have crippling depression and I want it to end.
>>
File: baby-boom3.jpg (13KB, 588x209px) Image search: [Google]
baby-boom3.jpg
13KB, 588x209px
>>15100675
In many ways the millennials (i.e. the echo generation) are a reaction against the boomers: for instance, the distain for cars and consumption generally. Although that may well just be a matter of liking what you can afford (even if they wanted cars and houses and other big-ticket 'settled' items they can't afford them).

However they hold in common a love for top-40 pop music and hollywood pablum; just as Gen X produced the best culture, I'm hoping for the same from Gen Z in the coming decades.
>>
>>15100632
>kids both in 2000 can drive now
Kill me pls
>>
>>15100690
just bee urself :^)
>>
>>15100698
>I'm hoping for the same from Gen Z in the coming decades.
Have you seen those horrid jump cut cover songs and Minecraft videos kids make now days?
>>
>>15100687
Damn, makes me feel glad that I don't remember all the dumb shit I used to do as a kid
>>
File: 1460928114875.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1460928114875.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
>>15099658
>boyfriend
>>
>>15093660
It's because they can't afford to drive.
>>
File: image.png (241KB, 514x757px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
241KB, 514x757px
>20 years old
>I'm always the youngest one at car meet-ups
>>
>>15100610
>grew up with dial up bbs

Being old sucks
>>
>>15100698
>the distain for consumption generally

Ah!
>>
>>15100724
Unless you live in a nanny state like Britain, that just isn't true
Things are affordable if you done waste all your money renting out a bathtub on Airbnb to sleep in for $4000 a month in Manhattan
>>
>>15100716
Its just basically fear thats all, I get the feelings that it would be cool and very relaxful if I can just get rid of this fear, also Brother is mad about cars and owns some loud mother fucker thats all I know to call it and wants me to get into them a lot like he does
>>
>>15093660
because in the facebook age we live in, you have two lines of thought
>I like this
>I don't like this
there's no middle ground.
>>
>>15100737
But that's what millenials do senpai

And they justify it by telling themselves they don't want freedom to hop in a car and travel anywhere they want whenever they want
>>
>>15100767
>>15100737
Why?
>>
>there are people over 25 years old lurking 4chan

pathetic
>>
>>15100777
Says the underage b&
>>
>>15100787
>neckbead 30 year old basement dweller loser detected

top kek
>>
>>15100793
Keep telling yourself that, maybe it'll make you feel better about your life
>>
File: Toyota_Camry_LE.jpg (115KB, 1780x920px) Image search: [Google]
Toyota_Camry_LE.jpg
115KB, 1780x920px
Have you seen car enthusiasts at your local meets? They can be described by the following adjectives:
-fat
-autistic
-old
-nerdy
-uncool
-lame
or any combination of the above. Oh and did I mention girls are completely turned off by them? I mean I'm a millenial and I know how to drive, but I have a basic car, follow the rules, don't talk about cars like a fucking autist, etc. Seriously I'd rather drive a Yaris than be associated with the car enthusiast homos.
>>
>>15100818
Hardparkers have always been fat autistic old nerdy uncool lamos.
>>
File: maple_chuckle.jpg (138KB, 404x428px) Image search: [Google]
maple_chuckle.jpg
138KB, 404x428px
>>15100818
>this bait
>>
Millenial here, not all of us are like this, but let me tell you what happened to me.

>Get learners permit
>Decide that i want to practice well more than the logbook hours before i take test, so i am genuinely good
>Practice for triple the hours
>Go in, know everything back to front
>Pass with flying colors
>Oh wait, i have a boomer doing my test for me
>Get failed because i shifted at 3500 rpm (did not exceed the speed limit, i was getting up to speed and staying calm with a road raging bogan behind me beeping me)
>Get home, realize that's not actually grounds to fail me, i did nothing wrong
>Call vicroads and try and explain
>Red tape bitch says try again in a month

So yea, a boomer fucked me over just because he thinks i'm one of those "evil young hoons" when i was trying my fucking utmost to be a responsible driver under pressure.

I've got about 10 days till i can take it again, now i'm fucking terrified of the same shit happening.

I fucking hate boomers, they tell us young people we're lazy but when we go above and beyond to actually fucking put in the hard yards they fuck us over. They're also hypocrites who enjoyed the most benefits while they were young and had the easiest fucking ride, compared to now when shit's a lot more expensive than their days.

Fuck them.
>>
>>15093660
Because now high school auto shop or drivers training. Because no job prospects for HS students and grads. College and debt being pushed heavily on kids. Businesses are run by boomers and as a culture we still treat them like they're the center of the world.
>>
File: chimp.jpg (196KB, 800x608px) Image search: [Google]
chimp.jpg
196KB, 800x608px
>>15101171
>be australian
>cannot rev car engine over 2000rpm
>>
File: 51651651.jpg (23KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
51651651.jpg
23KB, 450x338px
Another millenial here.

>Friend doesn't like to drive without texting
>Friend can't drive for shit because they actually look at you when you talk instead of looking at the road and just acknowledging you said something
>Car gets you from point A to point B, cars aren't fun
>Anon, do you think you have a big penis because you have a nice car?
>Anon, why the fuck do you insist on driving? You can't drive for shit, you just try to go fast (Anything above 2.5k rpm = shit driving)
And finally.... Anytime girls are involved:
>Anon has a nice car. He likes to do vroom vroom and all he talks about is his car. So if he talks about it, ignore him.
I never talk about my car, people never know about my car until they see me enter it or I have to pick them up/drive them back. I don't think going to people and tell them I drive an FR-S is a cool thing. Even when people bring up the FR-S and they say omg it's awesome (I'm 27, so I'm a typical 27yo at this point) I don't say I have one, someone else usually brings it up.

I'm glad I fucking dumped that guy. Such a piece of entitled trash. He got his parents to lease him a brand new car, on top of a bus/train pass to go to school and then forces them to get him an apartment downtown because he thinks his commute is too long. Now his parents are stuck with a $450/month lease on top of a $1200 apartment because he doesn't want roommates.

Other friends are cool though, they like cars and they don't bitch. One can't afford a car and the other one doesn't value spending money on his because he'd rather. I'm the only one with a respectable job. I think people find that one millennial that dislikes cars and is adamant about it (think vegans) and it reflects on others. I do agree that if you live in a city where public transit is good, it's not worth getting a car. It's impossible to find parking downtown here, so if you live there, a car is a liability more than anything.
>>
>>15100767
By not wasting money on a car they have the freedom to hop on an airplane and go anywhere IN THE WORLD they want.
>>
File: prole cap.jpg (8KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
prole cap.jpg
8KB, 236x214px
>>15094767
>just prole things
>>
>>15094580
>Your car won't make you a more interesting person at a party; do you want to be known for the kind of person you are or as the guy that owns the M3 out front?
I talk about cars at parties to other people who are interested in cars. It's almost like shared interests are important for social interaction.
>>
Because any car worth owning cost 35k or more and thats before stealership markups.15 year old pieces of shit that need 10k in repairs dont count so dont try to argue the whole "hurrr get something from scamlist". So after you $600 car payment, $150 insurance rate, $700 monthly payment for student loans, $1300 to not be homeless, and maybe the ability to eat you're left with nothing.

Oh so you finally can afford it? Well guess what? cops everywhere that will rape your insurance rates 6 ways till sunday. Shitty drivers everywhere that will fuck up your nice car, shitty fucking roads that will ruin your crusin experience, and grid lock fucking traffic making that V8 a fucking waste of money.

a v8 camaro costs nearly 40k now.

This is why no one gives a fuck about cars.

TL;DR Corporate greed, oil company lobbyists, and safety regulations are why no one gives a fuck about cars.
>>
>>15093660
18 and looking to buy a better shitbox.
Obviously though in millennial culture it's more valuable to spend money and time on things that are idolized in music/media, like drugs/drinking/partying etc.

And with the advent of uber and public transport advancements it's getting more and more unnecessary to own a car.

Regardless, you and >>15093724 shouldn't be putting so much money into your cars. Time, sure! It's a hobby and I have nothing against that. But at this age I doubt you have a hefty paycheck to be able to pay for it.
Chances are you have a 20 hour a week part time job and the money on that should be spent on more "normie" things like bills and gf/bf or whatever. Pay your bills first.
>>
Building your day to day life in a way that you NEED to own a car is stupid imo. Money down the drain. Live close to where you work: problem solved.

I prefer to save money so I can travel. THEN I'll buy a car / camper / motorcycle, actually get worthwhile use out of it, and then sell on.

For the majority of my life that I'm tied to a job and a particular place/city, there's no need to own a car. Because it'll just sit unused, since I'm working all the time, and relaxing locally when I'm not.
>>
>>15093660
lets start at the beginning: milennials are self entitled pieces of shit who are all thinks the world revolves around them and their internet/cellphone/mobile device

they dont drive because they expect someone else to do it for them...

they dont ususlly go anywhere because their lives revovle around social media.

because they dont drive or move from their houses expecting life to come to them.
>>
File: wsktng.jpg (161KB, 1010x704px) Image search: [Google]
wsktng.jpg
161KB, 1010x704px
>>15100724
>>15100737
Certainly is expensive here in Singakek, I'm lucky I even have a hatch
>>
>>15093660
it's hella expensive
>>
>be 21
>only friend that has car
>"lol cars r dum vote 4 burnie"
>"POLLUTION"
>"making your car paul walkery is only cool in the movie" (referring to modifications)
>"can you drive me 2 hours to a renegade"
>"no you're not invited"
>"can you take me to pick up weed"
>"can you drive me to my basketball game"
>"what do you mean no? You're some friend"
>"pick me up from my gf's"
>*waits 30min in apartments*
Fucking lazy entitled poorfags can't do shit for themselfs. I even bought one of those niggers a longboard and I still get blown up like im an uber
>>
>>15098819
>>15098921

Maccas = Australian McDonalds.

I started working when I was around 15.5. Worked my ass off, wasn't really a kid that partied or had many friends to think of it so I didn't really need to spend a ton.

And Yea, $12k in Australia is pretty shit. I pay $230AUD a week for my Studio Flat.

$12k= 1 year of rent for me. + Food +other bills.

Have worked full time since I was 18 to now, so I have a little nest egg for when I turn 25 years old.

To answer the question at hand, of my millennials hate driving, it probably has to do with the expenses a car has.

Now for me, I work full time and earn $50k a year, this is a lot of money for someone my age. 95% of people who are 18-22 are in University and have a shit ton of student loan debt to pay off.

Back in the 70's-80's barely anyone finished year 12, and everyone dropped out at 16 and worked apprenticeships, manual labor jobs, etc. And could get mortgages when they were 18. This isn't the case anymore.

With all these kids going to University, getting in 5-6 figure debt, and having no job prospects after, driving is essentially a luxury, rather than a necessity.
>>
>>15105324
if he treats you like a uber charge him like one... its your gas/time he is wasting
>>
>>15105302
Buy a corolla

$20 a week on gas

do you not have a job?
>>
>>15105358

Most Millennials don't
>>
>>15105356
I do. $10 a ride. $20 if its right after work. And 5 grams wax and a full tank if I'm rave taxi/dd
>>
File: 1460737273436.jpg (180KB, 500x832px) Image search: [Google]
1460737273436.jpg
180KB, 500x832px
>>15105358
>implying I don't own a car
been driving for 9 years cunt

cars are depreciating assets
>pay registration yearly
>insurance monthly
>put gas in it weekly
>ideally be proactive with scheduled
maintenance so it doesn't leave you abandoned
>most finance and have monthly payment too
normies don't appreciate shitboxes either
>>
>>15105388

Why the fuck would you finance a car? Legit no point, better off paying cash on a piece of shit
>>
>>15101171
Where did you take your test? I'm out in East Gippsland, so all the instructors were really laid-back.

>>15093660
Not sure what you count as millennial, but 22 year old here.
>Almost every single person at my school got their licenses as soon as possible
>Only person to drive a commodore
>race everyone because they want to prove their euro and jap cars are better
>always driving with mates, camping good times

Must be an American thing OP, people around here love cars. You're always considered a weirdo if you don't get your Ps by the time your 18 years old.
>>
>>15100737
imports in Malaysia are expensive desu. even the local literal shitboxes like Proton are about 10k usd here and that's the cheapest you can get to a new car. fuck taxes
>>
>>15105441
>owning a car anywhere in asia
Utter madness. Traffic is crazy. Nowhere to park. Scooter/motorcycle makes massively more sense, and costs a fraction as much.
>>
>>15105474
that's why a lot of millenials here would rather buy a bike here than a car, though no where as much as say, Saigon.
>>
>>15105495
You've got to really hate yourself to drive a car in Vietnam.
>>
>>15105432

I'm in West Melbourne (Sunshine) so the only real people out here who like JDM are lebs cause they're "fully Siq". Had awesome times with my lancer though. I drove all around Tassie in it over 2 weeks. Was incredible.
>>
>>15105521
Yeah, I did a Tassie trip in my brothers VY wagon. Those things are great, throw a mattress in the back and you're set.
I almost span out on an S-bend at the bottom of a hill. It had been raining heaps that day and the road was so bloody slippery.
Great times.
>>
>>15105617
That's the thing with TAS though. The whole state is underfunded. So roads and stuff of that nature are pretty shitty.

Great place though, wouldn't mind moving there if the job market was better. Renting and food down there is cheap though. The equivalent cost of my Studio Apartment down there is probably about $170 a week.
>>
>>15100630
I feel a bit the same when a four lane compacts into two lanes and everyone suddenly remembers what exit they should take

the swarm and chance is just something you have to deal with
Indians take this a step further and have no caution when driving
they consider a crash to be an unavoidable fate

a bit different from the people who think its never going to be them that crashes
>>
>>15105295
Just move out
>>
>>15094752
>Choose a hard degree
>Gain a victim complex over it
>>
File: 1377934048684.jpg (9KB, 206x251px) Image search: [Google]
1377934048684.jpg
9KB, 206x251px
>>15105663
>tfw vowed to myself to be accident free for a year after getting my first car
>rear end someone within 4 (?) months

The experience was expensive, but changed me for the better.
>>
>>15105324
that's why I charge people for friend rides.
>>
>>15105388
>Not buying a car that's already depreciated as far as it could go
>Buying new
>Financing
>Not knowing how to wrench
>Buying an SUV or crossover when fuel prices are a concern

THEY are the ones making a car prohibitively expensive to own
>>
>>15105324
This is why I drive a cramped 2 seater
>>
>>15094888
Pretty similar case here. Except my dad owned a motorcycle dealership and always worked on cars.

Weirdly I didn't get into cars until my second car, which was a 95 coupe grand prix. After that my enthusiasm really took off and I started wrenching old mopars with my dad. I'm still make mistakes pretty often but I consider myself pretty knowledgeable and I take a lot of pride in having a practical skill. Also I'm a Bio major as well as an Archaeology major. Arc is somewhat useless but it's fun and easy, which helps my GPA and doesn't cost me more money.
Anyway there are a lot of millenials that are basically worthless, but there are those of us who work for what we have and don't waste our time on useless vapid bullshit.
>>
>>15099773
>Millennials are born between 1982 and 2004.
While this is true, it's a bit frustrating being lumped with those born in 2003, coming from someone born in 1991.

I knew what it was like to not have the internet or a cell phone. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16, and that was only because I was doing extra-curricular activities and needed to be able to contact my mother.

I certainly identify with people my sister's age (1987) more than someone born in 1997.
>>
>>15107078
1991 fag here too, I agree. The time band is a bit too wide, considering how fast things changed over just a decade and a bit.
>>
I think its mostly bullshit misattribution by grumpy old people, not an actual trend.

Millennials can't AFFORD to drive. Even shitty beaters go for $2500 on craigslist these days, which might as well be $250000 given how rock bottom wages are - not to mention ludicrously expensive car insurance for anyone who makes the mistake of being less than 25 years old.
>>
>>15107203
I only pay about 600$ a year for car insurance, and I'm well under 25
>>
>>15107866
I pay around $400
>>
>>15099658
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>tfw can't afford to own a car
>want to learn to wrench
fuck
>>
>>15099795
Who cares dude? Millennials are going to be remembered for buying into the boomer story that their childhood is shit and that they should be nostalgic for a childhood that existed 30 years before they were born.

It's sad that these kids are buying into this retro rehash nostalgic garbage. I guess it's no surprise that the original me generation is refusing to let go of the reins.
>>
>>15108107
>Millennials are going to be remembered for buying into the boomer story that their childhood is shit and that they should be nostalgic for a childhood that existed 30 years before they were born.
What the fuck are you talking about? I know pretty much no other Millennials who want to go back to the 60s. The 60s were shit and led to the situation we're in today, fuck the 60s. The only way to move is forwards.
>>
Millennials are just lazy.
>>
>>15104102
>1300 to not be homeless

Sounds like you should look for cheaper places to live in that scenario fampai.
>>
>>15093660
>what is city living. You can get apartments that don't even have a parking space. Why do boomer faggots hate cars so much that they won't provide space for a vehicle?
>>
>>15108253
I never thought I'd be one of "those" people but I wouldn't mind an automated Uber system. Personal ownership is just too cost-prohibitive
>>
>>15108150
>retro fashion
>retro cars
>bring back this shitty tv show
>reboot this shitty movie
>le wrong generation amirite guize XD!?!?
>self hating shit eaters like you
>>
>>15108719
>retro fashion
>retro cars
yeah uh i have no idea what the fuck you're talking about there friend
>bring back this shitty tv show
>reboot this shitty movie
it's weird how those reboots are pretty much exclusively stuff from the 60s and 70s and not anything a millennial grew up with, doesn't really help you make your point
>le wrong generation amirite guize XD!?!?
there's been obnoxious fucks who wished they were their dad since the beginning of society, the internet just makes this round more obvious
>self hating shit eaters like you
idk senpai i seem to be okay with my generation, you're the one freaking out about millenials
>>
>be 21
>never in an accident or had a ticket
>apply for insurance
>the cheapest quote was $220/m

I can see why most younger people aren't into cars
>>
>>15108750
Look at what millenials are wearing. It's all throwback hippie or that old hipster shit. Same with the cars. The pony cars, mini, fiat 500.

What I'm saying is this generation is a self hating group of kids who listened to the boomers and now look to past pop culture trends and hate their own.
>>
>>15109118
Trends have always copied what used to look popular in the past. Did you already forget how ugly tiedie shit and skateboarding was in the 90s.
>>
>>15109118
You are so far out of touch with society
>>
>>15108845
But can you see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
>>
>>15100644

you're posting on 4chan newfriend what the fuck did you expect
>>
>>15093784
This
Also a major often unavoidable lifetime expense
Cars are a meme
>>
>>15100630

Just experience. I was scared of freeway driver too when I just started, I avoided them as much as I could. Big city freeways still make me tense, like Denver, but otherwise I enjoy freeways now. I get to go fast.
>>
20 y/o. 2 Kids, one is my daughter, the other is my 4Runner.

I'll be damned if I don't get it to where I want it to be. I'm pretty much doing a full resto on it. I work at a garage and they let me work on it on my days off.
>>
>>15110035
>20 years old with a kid
Jesus
>>
File: bear in a lain suit.png (351KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
bear in a lain suit.png
351KB, 639x480px
>>15110035
...the daughter, or the 4runner?
>>
>>15110035
Are you posting from 1950?
Thread posts: 261
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.