[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manny tranny swap?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

hey fagg/o/s i was wondering, is it difficult to do a manny tranny swap in a classsic car?
>>
>>15086001
no
>>
>>15086014
but its an automatic now
>>
>>15086025
No ECU bullshit at least. Might need a new driveshaft and possibly rear end if the gearing is different. But if you are capable of dropping the old trans, go for it.
>>
>>15086025
>>15086046
But just remember you gotta get the clutch pedal and all the lines and shit too. Interior trim to make it look nice as well. Might be worth getting a donor car if possible.

Upside is there will often still be spots to mount all the shit from the factory if the car came with a manual and auto option.
>>
Old cars are going to be much easier to do it on than new ones, having more space to work with and simple construction, not to mention no computers. I'd look up forums, guides etc specific to the car.
>>
>>15086025
well of course, otherwise why would you swap it?

its not difficult, thats what i meant
>>
It depends on the car you mong

Your going to need to install a clutch pedal, and either have a mechanical setup or a slave cylinder.
The manual transmission might be wider at the bell housing than what you have now so that means either cutting your trams tunnel or hearing it up and bashing the shit out of it.
The transmission mounting brace is probably different, so you'll have to make or buy a swap bracket.
The manual transmission is probably longer or shorter than whatever you have now, so that means lengthening or shortening your driveshaft.
Half the time the shifter doesn't come up where the stock one did, so your center console and trans tunnel have to be modified slightly.

And that's for swapping in later style manual transmissions into older cars.
If you have something that was offered with a manual transmission, and you hunted down that same style transmission, then usually everything would bolt up and half these steps wouldn't be necessary.

tl;dr do your research and git gud so you don't get stuck halfway through the swap

I
>>
/o/ did something good for me today, thanks guys. Also how hard is it to get a custom driveshaft? I know it cant be too hard but I don't know of anyplaces that sell them, im in WI if it helps
>>
>>15086082
There as shops specifically for driveshafts that lengthen, shorten, and balance them.
There's one in the next town that will shorten the driveshaft for less than 100 dollars, but lengthening is where it can get expensive.

Almost always it will need shortening, and sometimes its nearly the same length and you can just keep the same driveshaft.
>>
>>15086001
depends on the car but for an old mustang it's about 99% likely there's an idiot proof off the shelf solution
>>
If you have to ask, its too far above you
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.