[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>drives with one hand on steering wheel, one hand on gearknob

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (31KB, 262x335px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 262x335px
>drives with one hand on steering wheel, one hand on gearknob
>it's an automatic
>>
Yeah, I do this in my rental because I'm still looking at buying a car to replace my manual g35
>>
better than resting your hand on a manual
>>
File: 2014-02-26 07.25.13.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-02-26 07.25.13.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>15085639
I do this all the time...but I have a manual...and a lovely knob.
>>
>>15085676
Just get a boyfriend, at least holding his knob won't damage the transmission.
>>
>>15085720
How does resting your hand on your gearknob bad for your transmission?

I've done it with all my cars and never had any bother. It does fuck all to the transmission.

Keeping your foot on the clutch pedal however...
>>
>>15085736
look up the clickbait engineering explained video abotu 5 things to not do in manual

rip
>>
I do this because it's my first automatic in a while
>>
>>15085744
Fuck off man. It does fuck all unless your a ham fisted mongo. Which I am not...
>>
>>15085639
>doing this ever
RIP shift forks
>>
>>15085755
I drove manual for a decade and just got an auto Lexus. Kept ghost-clutching during the first week haha. Just taking my foot off the brake feels super weird like I'm anticipating it's gonna stall.
>>
>>15085756
>Denial
I got bad news for you, friend
>>
>>15085800
Ok, denial.

Done this with every car I've owned for 20 years and never had one transmission related problem.

Piss off with your fear mongering.
>>
>>15085759
This.
>>15085756
He's right. Saying otherwise just because you said so, doesn't make it so.
>>
>>15085812
>oh yeah? Well I'm so old and have so much experience that contradicts your claims in this story I made up in this post
>>
>>15085812
you sound like a boomer from lpg stories
>>
>>15085720
Kek'd
>>
>>15085639
>>drives with one hand on steering wheel, one hand on gearknob
>>it's an automatic
I do this sometimes because my armrest and shifter are at the perfect height and distance apart to make it comfortable.
>>
>>15085639
I do this

I also pull the parking brake to hold the car at red lights

What you gonna do about it
>>
>>15085639

I do this when I need to shift between D and L.
>>
>>15085744
I'm trying to watch that but the guy is making me want to kill myself

Ok, finished. qualified mechanics opinion: this guy is reaching.

>>15085756
>It does fuck all unless your a ham fisted mongo.
accurate
also
>don't leave it in gear at traffic lights cos it wears out the throwout bearing
it's pretty rare for a throwout bearing to wear out before the clutch, even on city cars that sit in traffic snarls all the time. Occasionally you see it on 4x4s where it gets drenched in muddy rivers on the reg, or it's just really fucking old and the seals have died. Your engine is at idle, it's well within the operating norms of the bearing.
And of course you always replace the bearing when you replace the clutch.
>don't use the clutch to hold on a hill
duh
>don't load the engine up at low RPM
accurate, that's very hard on your overdrive gears. More of a problem on big V8s and turbo diesels - anything that makes a shitload of torque, and is probably towing someone
>don't rest your foot on the clutch
also yes
>>
>>15085744

Holding your stick does nothing unless your boyfriend is stradling the shifter with his as hole in which it might wear down the mechanism. Grinding and bumping are the only things that are defrimental to your transmission.
>>
>>15085812
I bet you're not even 20 years old
>>
>All this automatic homoerotic projection
>>
>>15085675
>spewing urban myths
Resting your hand on the gear knob does literally nothing to your transmission unless you're putting way too much force on it.
If it did, your transmission would be literally fucked taking into account the amount of force it is subjected to in acceleration/braking.
>>
>>15085639
But I have shiftronic anon.
>>
>>15085639
>gearknob
>>
>>15085639
>have column shift
Glad I don't have to deal with that humiliation
>>
>>15087061
Oh, so your transmission is mounted perfectly to the body of the car and doesn't flex at all?

Didn't think so.
>>
File: 276~01.jpg (20KB, 238x237px) Image search: [Google]
276~01.jpg
20KB, 238x237px
> my mummy won't let me get a manual because she borrows my car a lot and she can't drive stick
> drive with my hand on the gearknob
> i also throw the car into neutral and back into drive while stomping my foot on a pretend clutch when doing 80 on the freeway
> make conscious effort to look at my rpms even though it's auto and let go of the gas at 3k-4k so it shifts
>>
I don't rest it on the shifter in either car, but it's habit so I do hover over in both my manual and auto.
>>
>>15087061
Sorry, pal, but you're completely incorrect. Those are two different forces. Moving or putting force on the shift knob is moving the dog clutches on/off of their correct position on the main or secondary shaft, which contributed to additional wear on the synchro teeth.
Braking or accelerating is merely causing a torque on the mainshaft, and through it, the correct gears and finally the output shaft.
You clearly have no idea how manual transmissions are constructed, nonetheless the forces involved.
>>
>>15087369

You tried to sound smart but you still sound like a moron
>>
>>15087399
My career is in transmission durability testing, I have at least a vague idea what I'm talking about.
Those are the primary forces involved in the actions that the guy was talking about.
>>
>>15087411
>My career is in transmission durability testing
Mine is bullshit credibility testing and I you aint passing the test
>>
>>15087369

^this guy is right, the other guy is 13
>>
File: 14xgfg4.jpg (99KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
14xgfg4.jpg
99KB, 469x600px
>>15087411
>My career is in transmission durability testing
LOL
>>
File: Cersei_3539530a_3560192f.gif (1MB, 220x137px) Image search: [Google]
Cersei_3539530a_3560192f.gif
1MB, 220x137px
ITT: people don't understand that by resting your hand on the gear stick you apply pressure to it
>>
>>15089848
Only if you are applying pressure by resting your hand on it.
>>
>>15085639
I do this sometimes but its because I drive automatic and manual.
>>
>>15089858
Wow, your transmission is mounted directly to your chassis with zero play or flex in the mounts?

Yeah, didn't think so.
>>
>>15089890
None of which is germane to not using pressure to rest your hand on a shifter.
>>
Have any of you idiots ever taken a transmission apart?
Jesus christ guys, act like you belong on a car board.
>>
I drive with my right hand in an auto
>>
>>15089985
This is a car board. You want /diy/.
>>
>>15089858
...that's what I said.
>>
>>15087061
You're just a polish guy calling himself a car enthusiast while rolling a diesel fiat.

You know nothing.... By resting your hand on the gearknob, you apply a small force on the forks, which grinds on the gears. While the grinding is minimal you wear the forks prematurely.
>>
I find it hard to believe that resting your hand on the gear stick does any damage at all.

It might for americans whos giant ham fists weight 50kg each.
>>
File: 29408610106_large.jpg (350KB, 1022x768px) Image search: [Google]
29408610106_large.jpg
350KB, 1022x768px
Shit, I drive manual and I only take my hand off the wheel to shift or to drink some of my Coca-Cola® product. I even keep my blunt-hand on the wheel unless I'm taking a hit.

I wouldn't want to introduce a source of wear to the gear engagement or the linkages.
>>
>>15086036
>I do this sometimes because my armrest and shifter are at the perfect height and distance apart to make it comfortable.
w124 is the same.
The arm rest is so perfectly positioned it lets me control the windows, mirror. and shift. All without actually lifting my forearm off the armrest.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.