[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i35 engine replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (8KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 280x180px
I recently bought a 2002 infiniti i35 with a ridiculous amount of miles on it for 500 dollars because i found a vq35de engine for sale with 80k on it for 200 dollars. I figured for 700$ I'm not gonna turn my nose up at a moderately luxurious ride with 255 horsepower no matter what it is. After my ambitions and goal cleared up and I bought the car and engine I realized one little problem; I don't know how to replace a stock engine. Can anyone on here give me a crash course? A basic guide or link would be nice. quick few facts and questions aside from the basics though;

-i35 is mechanically a maxima
-fwd
- the new engine came with the torque converter still attached. should I use the one from the old engine or the new?
-will the engine be difficult to separate from the transmission, and if so should i pull just the engine out to replace it, or pull the engine with the transmission still connected and then replace the engine?
-what all should i replace or thoroughly clean when i pull it?

Any help would be really appreciated
>>
>>15074311
I replaced an s10 clutch having never done anything more then entry level car work. I know it's not the same difficulty level, but once you start digging in it will become much more clear. I'd personally record you removing it and review when issues arise. Also, label the fuck out of connectors and tubing.
>>
That has been about the extent of what I've read online as well. Label, take pictures, and record. The only part I'm really concerned with is when it comes to disconnecting and reconnecting it to the transmission, but I'd like as much knowledge as I can get beforehand. And I'm also hoping I don't accidentally drain my refrigerant or power steering fluid.
>>
>>15074488
I think you're going to need to drain the refrigerant and power steering fluid anyways since the pump and compressor will just get in the way.
>>
>>15074488
You... Don't seem very knowledgeable. Power steering fluid is child's play. Refrigerant should have a storage tank built into the car.
>>
>>15074516
Most things I've read say to just detach them from the engine and then attach them to the side of the bay, rather than actually removing it. I'm hoping so at least, that's one less expense I'd have to shell out. I am wondering what lines I should replace though....
>>
>>15074525
Yeah, no when it comes to cars i'm painfully inexperienced. I've worked on hydraulics, circuitboards, and programming on cnc lathes and mills, but never had the opportunity to do jack on cars.
>>
>>15074549
This is way out of your comfort zone then. As much as you may not want to, I would advise getting a local shop to do the swap for you
>>
The most I've done is exhaust, suspension, brakes, and a bit of custom fabrication for body mods for other people.
>>
there's a shop about 4 blocks away from where I'll be working on it. If I have someone experienced review it prior to me actually trying to start it, How much damage can I do?
>>
really surprised no one's popped up with "nissan scum" yet
>>
Go find a maxima forum, shit you get here will be general and vague at best.
>>
>>15074311
Get a reman engine and pay someone to put it in. You'll have a warranty and the piece of mind that it was done right.
>>
I feel like I should clarify... I'm both broke and cheap. And have already bought the engine I'm going to put in it that has 80k on it for 200$
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.