[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I have an opportunity to get one of these things, should I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: cadillac-xlr-02.jpg (89KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cadillac-xlr-02.jpg
89KB, 1024x768px
If I have an opportunity to get one of these things, should I? I remember lusting after them as a child. They're almost like the original TT in that they're kind of an odd design statement.
>>
Nice prelude
>>
LOL enjoy yanking the whole motor to do engine work of any sort. Northstar is a shit engine platform with a shittier configuration
>>
>>15051454
It's a Chevrolet Corvette convertible with a Northstar V8. What's not to like?

>>15051472
Have you seen its sister car, the C6 Corvette? Same drill, different engine. Need to pull the engine to do just about any work.
>>
>>15051493
> look at the underside of motor. all you see is subframe, bottom of oil pan and trans pan. you literally cannot touch the side of oil pan or even trans. once the subframe is out than its pretty easy. but removing the subframe is like taking the foundation out from under a house. how do you do that? by removing the motor or propping it up

The labor's so expensive to take care of these turds that people just fucking sell them instead of fixing them.
>>
File: whothefuck.jpg (127KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
whothefuck.jpg
127KB, 864x648px
>>15051493
OH and the exhaust is in the fucking way as well, forgot that tidbit. WHO WOULD DO THIS? Who the fuck in their right mind would do this? Greedy corporate scum who want to feed the brand and the dealership instead of making quality vehicles for their customers.
>>
>>15051454
That car looks like a something a I would draw in elementary school.
>>
>>15051529
They did it because they wanted to cram the most power into the smallest space.

I once had an automotive teacher that worked on heavy machinery instead of cars. He said "They take a shoehorn and Vaseline to make those engines fit in cars."

Anyway, I don't know if the XLR had this problem, but Northstar engines would often have headbolts tear their threads out. The solution was to pull the heads out, install time-serts or ARP studs, then re-assemble.

And since even the most simple job on the Northstar is a bitch, just imagine taking the heads off.

Also, you might be stuck replacing timing chains, which also is annoying.
>>
File: dazzle pensive.png (378KB, 844x480px) Image search: [Google]
dazzle pensive.png
378KB, 844x480px
>>15051463
>prelude

Anon...
>>
>>15051454

The styling was cool when it was knew but over a decade later, it looks quite dated as are most of the other contemporary Cadillac that were produced during the majority of the 2000s. It definitely trailed behind the competition (the R230 SL-Class and the Z40 SC). Some people call it the Cadillac Corvette and they wouldn't be wrong: It's a Y-body with an automatic-only Northstar V8 and nicer interior. If that sounds like your thing, go for it. The Northstar was more or less sorted compared to previous iterations just in time for it to be phased out. If Northstar doesn't do it for you, I've read that you can replace the drivetrain for a conventional SBC and T-56 fairly easily (as far as drivetrain swaps go anyway).

If you want a car for collectors' purposes, don't settle for less than the V. If you want something putt around in or mod, get the base.
>>
>>15051529
>WHO WOULD DO THIS?
Is that even really a question? GM is trash
>>
Gorgeous vehicle. Hasn't aged a day IMO.

I'd go over it with a microscope though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.