[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is road salt legal >muh snow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

File: x9QkwoE.jpg (473KB, 1440x1416px) Image search: [Google]
x9QkwoE.jpg
473KB, 1440x1416px
Why is road salt legal

>muh snow
>>
>>15022848
This picture makes it look like road salt can magically restore metal to its original state.

Putting aside that autism:
>not having a sacrificial anode
>>
File: 771efa177f7f4b8b9087914d595a0a10.jpg (393KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
771efa177f7f4b8b9087914d595a0a10.jpg
393KB, 1152x1536px
>>
wash your damn car.
>>
>>15022867
sacrificial anodes only work in the sea, child
>>
>>15022848
my beater i got for 300$ is rusted to fuck ecause it was never rust proofed. Its a great car with only 80k km :(
>>
>>15022848
Live in a state that doesn't snow retard.
>>
>>15022886
>Washers close down in winter, save for the shittiest gas station "Sandpaper" washes.
>HOA has strict no carwashing policy, went as far as banning Front of house spigots during house construction phase.
>Salt sprayed and spread so liberally that it forms SHEETS on the road.
>Salty slush everywhere
Dude, do you even midwest
>>
>>15022911
>great car
>rusted

pick one
>>
>>15022931
>no carwashing policy
just use water, sue for invasion of privacy, and stop being a

KEK
U
C
K
>>
>>15022950
senpai desu cuck
>>
do the colorado shit, sprinkle weed stems on the roads for traction
>>
>>15022931
HOA.
>why
>>
File: 20160510_004222.jpg (116KB, 521x392px) Image search: [Google]
20160510_004222.jpg
116KB, 521x392px
>>15022848
>>15022911
If I had a boat load of money I would love to get my hands on Nissans old machinery & rebuild my S13 as an aluminum car, since I'd love to be able to just drive it all year round without having to put it away for the winter.
That said there's a guy local to me with a NSX with 200,000+ miles who drives it year round thru the snow & it still looks great since they don't rust aswel as plati dipping it to protect the paintjob from fading
>>
>>15022886
Oh lemme wash it every time I leave the house...
>>
>>15022931

Anyone who willingly lives where there's an hoa deserves whatever assfucking they get.
>>
>>15022960
>>15023046
Sometimes you have to choose between an HOA and living around uncivilized niggers
>>
>>15022986
Holy fuck that picture triggered me to all fuck
>>
>>15023113
The NSX was built as a daily drivable supercar, though.
>>
>>15023113
nsx is aluminium so its good
>>
>>15023139
Oh yeah I forgot, makes me feel a little better
>>
>roads dont get salted when it snows
>they close down highways because they dont want to deal with it
>cars stay clean
>get comfy snow
>>
>>15023098
>complains about uncivilized niggers
>so niggardly that his car disintegrates from lack of maintenance

must suck to be white trash
>>
Ontario uses salt and holy fuck is it bull shit, it's garbage tier
>>
>tfw use to plow snow for city
>would open up calcium sprayer to the max and full blast salt spreader

You're welcome faggots
>>
What's better for a given country?

>making more efficient snow plows (like when ford replaced the econoline with the transit in the US) and increasing usage of them each winter in lieu of salting

or

>tons of car frames rusting apart potentially causing more car accidents, slower emergency rooms, higher death rates, increased filling of scrapyards and higher unemployment rates due to some employers not forgiving tardies even if they were caused by their daily breaking down from something rusting up
>>
>>15022848
Because people don't understand that you need to buy snow tires and brake early. They'd rather kill their cars slowly and painfully.
>>
>>15023167
You cannot wash out salt every time you drive. You can slow it down but you can't stop it.
>>
or... take weed stems, dry them out in a fucking pile, let some rats make nests in it while it's stored during the warmer seasons, grind it up before winter including any rats that have made their homes in it, spread that shit onto the roads after plowing in lieu of salt. i just made someone a fucking billionaire
>>
>>15023132
Nsx was never a supercar, just a sports car.
>>
>>15023262
good meme
>>
>>15023230
Do you even understand what the salt is for
>>
>>15023267
Remind yourself what each letter stood for in NSX.
>>
>>15023273
to break up the snow on the road (and your chassis)
>>
>>15023308
it's a jewish conspiracy to degrade your car's longevity and durability so you buy new cars regularly, the jews are responsible for snow
>>
>>15023318
It costs the state less money than weather-related accidents. If anything, they're happy when you buy new cars (and pay new taxes). So yeah, it's pretty much a jewish conspiracy.

>the taxes pay for the roads, anon. yeah, there are still potholes everywhere and outdated road design that facilitates accidents, but that's what lowered speed limits are for.
>buy a new car anyways it'll be safer in an inevitable crash caused by our pothole-ridden, poorly designed two-lane major roads
>>
>>15022886
Wash the car when its in the negatives? Why?
>>
>>15023419
because the jews earn more shekels
>>
>>15023419
Don't worry about rust then, because it will not form. Wash when it's above freezing.
>>
>>15023444

trips on washing the underside?
>>
>>15023167
that's not what niggardly means you nigger
>>
>>15023452
Go to a car wash where you park the car in a building and have a handheld sprayer.

>tfw no such thing on my town
>>
>>15023452
Point the nozzle underneath the car slightly upward. Move it around. You may get on your hands and knees if you wish, but it's not required. Check what's behind you, don't get raped.
>>
>>15023456
Remember when stupid niggers made that Philadelphia city whateverthefuck he was resign because THEY didn't fucking know what the word meant.
LOL stupid Australians.
>>
>>15023461
>>15023468
so spraying underside with water is sufficient?
>>
>>15023542
no, you need to spray it with gasoline then light it on fire. fire destroys rust from forming
>>
>>15023542
Yeah, it's just salt. It water soluble.
>>
File: 1461507717330.jpg (26KB, 720x575px) Image search: [Google]
1461507717330.jpg
26KB, 720x575px
>>15023308
It's to melt ice sheets on the road left behind by packed snow from cars driving over it.
>>
>>15022928
>living where it snows
>still fucking hot during the summer

For what purpose?
>>
>>15023661
This is minnesota. I want out of this hell hole but it will be at least half a decade.
>>
File: tooshallow.jpg (21KB, 300x343px) Image search: [Google]
tooshallow.jpg
21KB, 300x343px
>>15022848
because stupid fucking cunts refuse to get winter tires because they are too expensive
>>
>>15023778
Get ready for rain in the 612 651 etc this week anon fuck MN makes me want to an hero.
>>
>>15023814
>snow tires
>not getting tire chains
retards
>>
>>15023851
It's illegal to use tire chains in some states anon
>>
>>15023855
really?
that's fucking retarded.
i can kinda get it, that it may hurt the roads some, but no more than constant heavy-ass plowtrucks.
plus wouldn't driver safety be more important than some slight road damage?
>>
>>15023851
words of a man who's never had to throw iron.
>>
>>15023878
i've chained up, it fucking sucks.
I figure it would be better than having to buy new tires every season though, cost wise.
i dread the day that they make snow super singles.
>>
>>15022848
>bare steel
>not sealed
>not painted
>not powered coated
>not nitrocarburized
>not cerakoted

Mass nitride treatment of fasteners and clamps should be standard. We should really be using more titanium too. It would be really nice to put an end to frame rust, rusted exhaust pipes, rusted stuck on fasteners, crumbling rusted clamps, and everything else. Entirely possible too, and it wouldn't cost much either.

>>15023867
Can't use snow chains *or* studded tires here in MN. For whatever reason no highway vehicle can have any metal on its tires which contacts the road.
Though I've seen tests of some studded tires vs fancy new non studded snow tires and the studs don't seam to do much unless you're driving on a frozen lake.
>>
>>15022867
>>not having a sacrificial anode
>I don't know how rust in open atmosphere works
>>
File: 1460804840113.png (79KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1460804840113.png
79KB, 500x500px
>>15023935
>and it wouldn't cost much either.
>titanium
>not costing much more than steel
>>
File: mazda 3 2003 (33).jpg (661KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mazda 3 2003 (33).jpg
661KB, 1024x768px
>>15023935

Tell me about that ceracoating. I have heard it mentioned before, but never really looked into it. Is it for paintwork or the underside of the car? Does it crack? How much does it cost?
>>
>>15024075
Cerakote is a fancy ceramic paint that bonds to the surface when heat cured. Its sort of like charged particle powder coating, but it sprays more like paint.
Abrasion resistance is relatively high, it can flex to something like 30 degrees, corrosion resistance is insanely high. Costs less than $0.60 per sq.ft to spray.

You could coat your frame with it, but you wouldn't get ideal results unless you cured it which involves an industrial oven. For something that big it would be up to the manufacturer to apply it at the factory. People typically apply it to firearms and things like that.

>>15024074
For the total cost of a vehicle, using titanium fasteners, bolts, and exhaust wouldn't affect price much.
>>
>>15024106
>For the total cost of a vehicle, using titanium fasteners, bolts, and exhaust wouldn't affect price much.
For two pounds of titanium you could buy a literal ton of steel on the industrial market.
The exhaust alone would add thousands to the price.
>>
>used to live on the beach
>sea air blows in every morning non stop from 10am to midnight like a gale
>destroys everyones utes after a few years

on god it's a mess you can't own a nice car here
>>
>>15024159
>I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'll just talk out of my ass anyway

Since you clearly have never dealt with the metal market, and have no idea what anything actually costs, why did you even bother typing up that full retard post and hitting the submit button?
A 110lb sheet of grade 5 is selling at $38 right this second, and thats advertised open market price. That isn't the price anyone dealing with a mill would pay.
It isn't prohibitively expensive by any means.

Protip: Grade 5 isn't low quality material either.
>>
>>15024198
>A 110lb sheet of grade 5 is selling at $38 right this second,
(citation needed)
>>
>>15022848
Its not in my country
>>
>>15022848
Because nobody has sued the fuck out of the gubberment for their pride & joy rusting away
>>
>>15022931
>HOA

Retards deserve corroded cars.
>>
Make winter tires mandatory north of the Ohio RIver and we'll talk.

Until then, I want salt to prevent some fuckwit in an F150 from slamming into the back of my Nokian-equipped Subaru at a stop sign. People are fucking stupid, cheap, and lazy. Soo... we get higher taxes, salt everywhere, and polluted water.
>>
>>15024198
Protip: grade 5 is shit
>>
>>15023285
Nissan Stagea Xtreme?
>>
>>15022931
Can HOA's really tell you what to do?

It's free a country, they don't own your property. What are they gonna do? Call the police and waste their time because someone is washing their car?
>>
>>15025363
Why is it against the rules anyways? Are they afraid of the soap getting in the storm drainage and polluting rivers? I'm sure there's worse stuff in our rivers than just car washing soap, I'm sure they have eco friendly soap too
>>
>>15022848
>TFW when the place I live uses sand
Rust free cars and traction, plus the plows aren't rotting and can do their jobs.
>>
File: ffilm.jpg (15KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
ffilm.jpg
15KB, 355x355px
Has anyone used fluid film or similar? Does it work or is it more hassle than it's worth?
>>
>>15025497

I've used it for 2 winters and I don't notice any new rust, but my truck already had some rust when i got it. I did seem to get rid of some light surface rust in some areas, this might be my imagination though.

Here's a good compilation of info. if you're in the mood to read: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rust-prevention-treatment-consolidation-thread.355928/

I settled on using fluid film based on the research I did. I bought a huge case of spray cans on Amazon for a decent price
>>
>>15022931
HOA is worse than hitler.

fuck anyone living in one.
>>
File: 365495.jpg (291KB, 844x630px) Image search: [Google]
365495.jpg
291KB, 844x630px
Just POR15 the entire undercarriage.

Shit is awesome, but needs at least 3 coats.

You can be super anal, drop the subframe, and paint everything nicely, or just fucking splatter that shit under a lift.
can be applied with a hand brush.

Pay a mechanic $100 to use their lift for a day, bring two friends, and go at it. Just make sure to clean off all the grease first.
>>
>>15025655
thas sum volkswagen thar innit
>>
>>15025363
HOAs can put a lean on your house or just up and take it with out due process.

There is a story about a german woman that retired in America. Her house was in a HOA area. She never joined the HOA and paid the insignificant yearly dues. She thought it was voluntary and no one every bothered to explain to her that she had to join and pay dues or face consequences. So after a few years the HOA just takes her house with out even a trial, and evicted her. Then someone buys the house and allows her to continue living there as a rent paying tenant.
>>
>>15026074

Yup. HOAs are usually run by the power-hungry neighborhood bullies and nosey housewives. Under contract law the HOA has rights that supercede the city, county, and state. They can seriously fuck you up if they choose, and they can pass any sort of stupid fucking ordinance they wish without recourse. Stupid shit like "Lawns cannot be mown on Sundays" or "No red flowers in front of the house".

I left that shit for dead when I last moved out here to the country. The guy who was building houses out here tried to hand me a "restrictions" list when I closed. I told him to get fucked and tore it in half. My property is zoned rural and the only people I'm accountable to are the county and state. My place is one of the nicest on my road with great curb appeal, but I'd never force that shit on someone else. Goddamn I hate HOAs.

That said, I have used Boeshield on my motorcycles. It makes a mess and looks like crap (like someone sprayed Crisco on everything), but it works. Use it on the undercarriage, but be careful around the brakes and exhaust.
>>
>>15026175
Last Week Tonight needs to do a special on HOA.
>>
>>15022931
Our HOA says you can't work on cars on your drive. One of the heads of the HOA lives just down the road from and can see my driveway from his office.

Doesn't stop me. He's literally not mentioned it once in the 15 years we've lived here. My neighbour is a car dealer and sometimes has 6 or 7 cars on his drive at once, with some of them being worked on. He's lived there for about the same time I have and he's never been told to stop either.
>>
File: 1447138430929.jpg (30KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
1447138430929.jpg
30KB, 500x450px
>living in a country where salt is on the road from something other than the ocean
>>
File: tbh fam.jpg (141KB, 550x715px) Image search: [Google]
tbh fam.jpg
141KB, 550x715px
>>15024075
people usually cerakote firearms due to its high resistance to scratches, saltwater, oils and other stuff like that. its a very durable paint if done right. it isnt cheap though, like at all.

cerakoting a handgun is like a 100-200$ job so I cant imagine the cost of cerakoting larger car parts. you might be better off with a different paint despite the durability of cerakote.
>>
File: fetty 'hua.jpg (84KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
fetty 'hua.jpg
84KB, 375x500px
>>15026175
yea our HOA soccer moms were straight up bullies and harrassed my mom because shes puetro rican for a couple years, they never did shit to me since im half white and look white. I found out about the stupid leaders illegal daycare and got her shitter pushed in by the bureaucratically long, black dick of the law for tax evasion and running an illegal business etc.
>>
>a little inevitable corrosion
or
>hundreds of people sliding all over the place crashing into everything
I'll choose the salty roads.
>>
>>15022848
living in a shithole country that needs salt for the road.
>>
>>15023847
Yeah rain blows. I'm finally getting my fun car back out after finals and now it's gonna be shitty out.
>>
>>15026488
How about mandatory winter tires faggot
>>
>>15023814
Excellent off road snow tire. Holy hell do they sing anywhere after 45mph though.
>>
>>15027492
>germany
>mandatory winter tires
>spray salt anyway
>still gorillions of crashes in wintertime
Nigger, winter does not fuck around.
>>
>>15022931
>being this much of a cuckold
Just Midwest things
>>
>>15027492

Canada did it.

I use winter tires (actually 4 season rated Nokian WRG3's), but I hate the government telling people what to do. But given the choice of salt or mandatory winters I'd chose the latter.

I live out in the sticks in northern Ohio. They plow our roads later, so everyone out here has 4WD and snow tires. The county uses a mixture of salt and sand on our roads, so I have to be careful in the spring when I get the motorcycles out of storage.

Once you've tried winter tires, even on a RWD car, you'll be amazed how much better they are than all-season, especially "high performance all seasons".

My brother lives in east central Oregon. His kid goes to school in Eugene. He buys brand new Toyo Observes every year for his wife to drive over the passes without chaining up. Cheaper than a deductible, and much cheaper than a hospital bill.
>>
>>15025363
>Can HOA's really tell you what to do?
HOA gets their power from being written into your deed as a covenant. They are protected by USA supreme court so they can tell you to do things that even the city cannot legally do.

>What are they gonna do? Call the police and waste their time because someone is washing their car?
They cannot fine you since only a court can fine you. BUT they can tell their lawyer to send you a lawyer letter that you were observed breaking rules. Lawyer time costs $150 per hour rounded up in quarter hours. Issuing letter is a $75 fee. Messenger to deliver to your home and stuff into your door crack is $80 plus mileage/auto charges here. Taxes you pay too. So, each time you wash, you get another lawyer letter. You cannot refuse to pay since it is a lien against your home and will force foreclosure. Your insurance rates can go up if adverse info appears which this is.

>>15023046
>Anyone who willingly lives where there's an hoa deserves whatever assfucking they get.
There's lots of benefits from HOA especially if you have a walled-off neighborhood that actually owns its roadways and all public areas. This makes them private and you can't be accused of racism if you kick someone out that shouldn't be on the street in front of your home.

>>15023098
>Sometimes you have to choose between an HOA and living around uncivilized niggers
That's another plus. Black people are fine and I have no problem. It is niggers that are bad and black people dislike those too. However, niggers are unable to obey HOA rules and thus get legally forced out of the community. Racism "one year injunction delay" protections don't work against home covenants which is where HOA get powers from.

>>It's free a country, they don't own your property.
A lien can be placed upon your property. Now it cannot be legally sold without taking care of the lien. Ignore it and foreclosure happens. Foreclosure kills ur credit score! Car insurance rates go up!
>>
>>15027492
Because even in the winter the roads are dry 70% of the time. It's just a couple bad snows every year that end up leaving tons of snow on the road.

People ride on bald tires all year so tire laws obviously don't get enforced anyway. I don't suppose winter tires would actually get put on every vehicle.

I've never had winter tires, and I don't imagine them being much of an improvement on hardened ice. Could be wrong though.
>>
>>15023177
They should use the money spent on salt and re-emburs snow tire purchases.
Snow tires beat salted roads every time
>>
>>15023098
I'll take living next to Jamal the drug dealer and Pedro the cholo over surrendering my freedom to a bunch of soccer moms drunk on power.
>>
I would literally kill everyone related to my HOA if they tried to take my house
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.