[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squeaking coming from engine compartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3113.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3113.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /o/, this is my first time posting here. I recently got a car, my first car. Its a 2002 Buick Lesabre. Just today about 40 minutes ago I started it up and there was this squeaking noise coming from the engine compartment. I want to say more specifically it was the belt but I cant be sure. I was wondering if any of you had some input on this.
Pic related, its my car
>>
check the belt, how does it look? it can also be power steering if there's a small hole, i would turn the wheels as well to be sure
>>
Very loud squeak?

Belts are very obvious, just open the hood and listen for the noise
>>
>>14979343
The belt is brand new, I just installed it saturday. As for the steering, it feels fine. I took it around the neighborhood and the steering was fine
>>
>>14979354
if the belt is brand new it may not be the right one?
maybe its not tight enough?
>>
>>14979352
Whe I opened the hood and checked it, it sounded like it was coming from the belt. I also recently changed out the radiator hoses and the 2 elbow joints on the water pump, so I think its very likely that some anti-freeze got on the belt
>>
>>14979354
Guaranteed shit on the belt/pulleys. You rubbed your oily little mits all over it.
>>
>>14979368
just drive it around for a while in that case
>>
>>14979365
I was not the one who purchased the belt, my dad did. So I'm not entirely sure if he got the wrong one by mistake but when we put it on it seemed to fit right
>>
>>14979379
How tight is the belt? There shouldn't be more than 10-20mm (3/4 inch in old money) play if you firmly push down in the middle of the longest section between pulleys.
>>
Is it a constant squeal? Or more like a bird chirping. If so, it may be the tensioner
>>
>>14979438
Kind of like a bird chirping
>>
>>14979438
Kind of like a bird chirping
>>
>>14979423
I took a closer look at the belt, it looks like some of it was worn away by rubbing against the alternator
>>
>>14979457
Against the alternator? Can you grab a pic.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14979476
I'm not sure if it was against the alternator but it looked like it was rubbing against something
>>
File: 1457844249612.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1457844249612.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>14979503
oh lawd

m8 the belt has to be all the way across the grooves on all the pulleys
>>
in addition, I just took it out and it didn't sound right. When I pushed down the pedal, the revs went up but it accelerated slowly and it seemed like it couldn't get over 45. I've had a problem like this before with my moms explorer.
>>
>>14979503
You pt the belt on wrong you fucking idiot
>>
File: 1424500822840.jpg (21KB, 200x178px) Image search: [Google]
1424500822840.jpg
21KB, 200x178px
>>14979503
>>
>>14979522
>>14979503
The belt is fucked, for one, you will need another new one. You've installed it either incorrectly or too loosely which has caused to jump inwards and trash itself.
>>
>>14979513
Shit, I'm sorry, I've never really done any car work on my own. What little I do know was from my dad helping me and watching top gear. To remedy this do I just need to slip it back over the grooves or do I need to replace the belt entirely
>>
>>14979537
Should replacing the belt solve my problem?
>>
>>14979544
You need a new belt, that one is totalled. It needs to sit all the way inside the pulley, and where it hits a tensioner on the smooth side of the belt, inside the obvious clean bit as you can see from the pic you posted.

It's a bit of a colossal fuck up but I won't take the piss as everyone starts somewhere, and you shouldn't have done any real damage other than to the belt. Just get a new one, keep an eye on its alignment, tension it correctly and maybe watch a couple of youtube vidoes on it if you're still unsure.
>>
File: mileage.jpg (42KB, 1056x1408px) Image search: [Google]
mileage.jpg
42KB, 1056x1408px
>>14979368

A) I hope to christ you used the metal replacement elbows.

B) Spray a small amount of brakekleen on the belt at idle, should get rid of any grease pretty quickly

Pic related. I know how to make these things run for a long time.
>>
>>14979503
>>14979537

The belt tensioner is automatic, so if it isn't tight enough, and you're sure you've got the right belt, then you need a new tensioner.
>>
>>14979591
What's your oil pressure like at idle when it's heatsoaked in the summer?
>>
>>14979672

The lowest I see my Oil Pressure is around 35-40lbs.
>>
>>14979591
Also when I started it up, a warning message came on saying something like oil levels or pressure are low. I checked my oil and it was fine as was the pressure gage
>>
>>14979730
You've probably got a bad sensor. They tend to flake out by intermittently dropping to 0psi. Hit the guage info button a few times until you see oil pressure and watch it for a while to see if it drops to zero and then jumps back up. Or just replace the sensor. Fair warning, you're going to need a big wrench.
>>
>>14979537
Should replacing the belt fix the issue with the acceleration
>>
Where do you live OP? The dealer I work at sold a gold 02 lesabre with a squeak from the engine on start today
>>
>>14980647
No. Does the car run smoothly or is it running rough or sluggish when driving? If it's revving and running normally and not accelerating it could be the transmission slipping...

If it's running weird or rough and not accelerating it could be a number of things, simple as a vacuum leak to fuel filter or airflow sensor or even air filter.
>>
It's probably just a mouse. Chill bro
>>
>>14980688
I live in central virginia
>>
>>14980728
It feels a bit rough and sluggish
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.