[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EVs appeal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1460379126147.jpg (107KB, 418x467px) Image search: [Google]
1460379126147.jpg
107KB, 418x467px
no more bills from the mechanics...
>>
File: 1449086269705.jpg (46KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1449086269705.jpg
46KB, 450x300px
... why?
>>
>>14969869
>cars are only combustion engines
>>
>>14969869
Electrician bills are gonna suck. They're union.
>>
>>14969869

Even a fucking electric Golf Cart requires regular maintenance. I don't know where these evfags get this "Zero Maintenance" idea from.
>>
>>14969894
read the brochure
>>
>>14969869
Lower running costs, rapid acceleration, no fucking with engine warmup or gears at all, and no volatile oil price to try and deal with.

> Muh engine noise
My Focus is already so goddamn quiet that birds walk under the wheels while it's moving, and people don't hear it coming. Engine noise is already dead.

> It still requires maintenance
Well, yeah. Wheels, brakes, etc.

> Charge times
> Miles per charge
> Battery lifespan
Improving every year. They aren't viable YET, but the Tesla model 3 is nearly there in terms of miles per charge and list price.

I'm happy with my ICE right now, but come a few years when it starts costing money to get it through an MOT and I start looking for a new car? That might just be an electric car.
The future is coming, and I'll point and laugh at OPEC when we don't need their shit.
>>
>Propriety motor fails
>$4000 part plus union labour at $150 per hour
>>
>charging ev's is cheap, because most of the taxes are included only in fuel
>after severalf years charging will be as expensive as refueling
>>
>>14969894
they will lease them like iphone
.ie new model once a year then its someone else's problem
>>
>>14970349
>no fucking with engine warm-up or gears at all, and no volatile oil price
your in for a nasty surprise
>>
File: 61144567.jpg (71KB, 476x313px)
61144567.jpg
71KB, 476x313px
>DIY's who usually overtighten a sump plug while the pan is still hot, then sell on their car, might get electrocuted to death
>>
Motors have ball bearings that, on average, wear faster than an oiled plain bearing.

A nice newer EV is probably going to have a transmission. That means oil changes.

Some EV's even have a liquid cooling system with radiators and fans.

Power transfer electrical components such as MOSFETS and IGBT's have a service life. They aren't that cheap to replace when one dies either. When one dies that also means the rest of them are about to die as well. I would definitely expect a power supply built by an auto company to have a failure within 20 years of normal use.

It's a car, so it's still going to have axles, CV joints, wheel bearings, and brakes.

Batteries.

Long story short, anything moving is going to have wear. While I agree that electric drivetrains can have less maintenance required than an ICE, I would be damned to say that they would have no maintenance whatsoever. For some strange reason I can also forsee EV's becoming like appliances. When it breaks you just throw it away and get a new one.
>>
>>14970594
I would also like to note that EV's are more efficient than cars in terms of energy consumption. A gas operated power plant has an efficiency of about 50% whereas the engine in our car is about 25%. Far less energy is lost when using an electrical drivetrain.
>>
>>14970508
already hebbening
see: renault zoe
tldr: You buy a car but batteries are leased to you. They're never yours, don't try anything silly since they're DRM secured and even can be remotely disabled.
>>
>>14970439
Electricity is subsidized. There's no way you could make electricity more expensive because that would ruin the point of the subsidies.
>>
>>14969869
>OP in charge of not being a fucking retard
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.