[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a industrial (car) designer. Ask me something if you want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 17

File: car_rendering2.jpg (202KB, 1280x633px) Image search: [Google]
car_rendering2.jpg
202KB, 1280x633px
I'm a industrial (car) designer. Ask me something if you want
>>
>>14896935
Since it's been discussed in a thread days ago... Do you think your work is art, considering the classic definition of art?
>>
>>14896935
Where did you go to school? Did you major in any mechanics or engineering?
>>
Why is everything you fuckwits design so god damn ugly nowadays?
>>
>>14896935
If that pic is the best you can do, why haven't you offed yourself?

I get that you are living your dream or whatever but take a second to think about the rest of us. The rest of us you are subjecting to the uncreative garbage flowing out of your brain.

Fuck you.
>>
What do you think of Bangle ? Kerr ?
>>
>>14896953
Depends on the current state. The first concept sketches, renderings, etc. might be considered as art since the realism is on a very low level.

>>14896965
Studied industrial design in Germany. I know many more talented designer but I got the job because of connections.

>>14897002
There are many reasons. First of aerodynamics. Also, because all industries, releases cars like iphones.. almost every year. The step should not be too big - otherwise those who bought a new car in 2014 would be unsatisfied now because their car looks "old".
Another reason is that people tend to buy those "evil eyes, wide wheels, big car" cars. We are not ready yet for a change because it is too risky. But don't worry: there will be a change in design.
The biggest reason is because too many cars. Look how many different classes there are for each company. In the past there were like 4 or 5 classes and you could make each of them individual. Now we simply don't have enough designers to make 20 unique designs within a short time.

>>14897054
It is not mine. Just the first result if you search for car renderings.

>>14897062
>Bangle
Crazy guy. Some people saying he went to the office with cowboy boots and hat. Lots of people were worried about his decisions but somehow he always managed to convince the company head (BMW). Really don't know if he changed the cars into something better. People hated him at first but now everyone likes the BMW design.
>>
Why aren't you bringing back hard angles and sharp curves right now
>>
what do you see as the next trend in auto design when change does eventually come?

angry headlight econoboxes and shit isnt going to last forever
>>
>>14896935
Why do you guys make cars look like bars of soap?
I want overhangs, sharp angles and chrome around the front and rear windows, not just the damn sides.
>>
>>14897734
see

you want ugly inefficient design

the world isnt about that
>>
File: Tesla-Model-3-silver-1.jpg (94KB, 975x626px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla-Model-3-silver-1.jpg
94KB, 975x626px
>>14896935
What sort of thought process led someone to believe that it would be a good idea to make your flagship car look like a stillborn Porsche Cayenne with Down's syndrome?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>14897757
>stillborn Porsche Cayenne with Down's syndrome
holy shit
>>
>>14897749
maybe not, but almost all of the most memorable cars in auto history are "ugly inefficient design" while cars today will be forgotten as soon as the next model comes out
>>
File: Lexus-1.jpg (52KB, 645x349px) Image search: [Google]
Lexus-1.jpg
52KB, 645x349px
it's time again for BESTEST DESIGNS
>>
File: progressive sfr.png (1MB, 1170x731px) Image search: [Google]
progressive sfr.png
1MB, 1170x731px
>>14897812
>>
>>14897797
uhh no

you have cars like the Pacer and Aztek that are memorably ugly (Juke will be the same)

then you have actual good designs that are efficient such as the 250GTO
>>
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (505KB, 3000x1997px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
505KB, 3000x1997px
>>14897703
Depends on the future of electric cars. There won't be a need of the radiator grill anymore for example.
Most car companies have the problem that all their classes look the same and these days that is a big issue. So we can be sure there will be changes within the next years.

>>14897734
Aerodynamics and safety.

>>14897757
I don't know what they were thinking lol. Nevertheless, they do a very good job in marketing. That is their strenght.

>>14897797
will be forgotten as soon as the next model comes out
Also because they will be broken in 20 years.
>>
>>14897825
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (342KB, 1920x1011px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
342KB, 1920x1011px
>>14897838
What's your opinion on the electric BMW's?

/o/ hates them, but personally I think they look rather nice and the design is in line with their ambition.
>>
what's your favorite car/ car design?
>>
>>14897812
>>14897825
>>14897872
fuck off back to r-eddit with your unfunny faggotry
>>
File: bmw-e34-front.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bmw-e34-front.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>14897228
>The step should not be too big - otherwise those who bought a new car in 2014 would be unsatisfied now because their car looks "old".
Pure fucking cancer right here.

>People hated him at first but now everyone likes the BMW design.
Maybe between you car design fags. The rest of us still hate him for ruining BMW.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Why does it seem like automotive design and styling trails the product design and architectural design world by so many years? To make a direct comparison to consumer electronics - Apple has been making beautiful and universally loved minimalist designs for about 15 years now, but car design (especially brands like Toyota, Hyundai, Honda...) seem to be stuck with Alienware-esque evil headlight/angry mouth designs that would have been cool only in 2002. Yet with each new generation the styling of those brands just gets more and more extreme and flamboyant. Its almost as if the target demographic of new cars is comprised entirely of 12 year old boys.
>>
File: volvocrashtest.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
volvocrashtest.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>14896935
why do they pay faggots like you instead of sinking that money into R&D making their models and equipment more efficient?
>teenagers with pirated copies of autoCAD could do what you do
>mfw i just want more bulletproof APC turbobricks
>>
>>14899473
Because turbo bricks are hideous and dated. Do you also think bringing back the rear fins on luxury cars is a good idea?
>>
File: 1439354682953.jpg (76KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1439354682953.jpg
76KB, 480x336px
>>14899490
>bigger grills on our disposable bubble cars, stat!

>yfw implying Volvo or any manufacturer will ever make a family vehicle design as minimalist as turbobricks
>>
File: 1406912553329.jpg (90KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1406912553329.jpg
90KB, 500x667px
>>14899490
Fuck yeah nigga that shit is stylin. If I pay big bucks for a luxury car I better look like I'm flying a goddamned spaceship
>>
>>14897825
>>14897872
Post moar
>>
>>14899198
Not the designer, but I believe the answer to your this problem lies within your own question. Cars are the last vestige of childlike fun for many adults. As someone gets more mature, as does their expected tastes in life. Soda? No, real men drink beer. You can't wear a t-shirt to work, your apparell has to be more refined. Darker colors. sleek, sharp design. When it comes to cars though, no one judges. Everyone knows what its like to go fast. How terrifying and exhilirating your first time on the highway was. For most, that feeling of walking a tightrope above death is irreplaceable. Cars feel just safe enough to welcome you behind the wheel, but offer the hint of danger. We all know the statistics, how one in seven people will die in an automobile-related accident but we aren't concerned. If it was too much lower it would take the fun out of driving. To answer your question, The Car is evey 12 year olds dream, and to remind us that we are 35 and balding, living with a 9-5 job, getting no downtime at home because of the two toddlers and the dinner that needs to be made and the dishes that need to be cleaned and the laundry that has to be folded...
To remind us of that, would be to remove the dream. The illusion created whenever we step behind the wheel and turn the key. When that engine picks up, you are no longer a middle aged father, you're a 12 year old boy vibrating his lips racing his hot rods down a plastic track. The siren call of that V8 draws you closer to the end of the road and you recall a close memory. All those years ago. Before the divorce, before the layoffs, before you even started college, when your mom let you borrow her 89' toyota corrolla and drive on your own for the first time. As you lower your foot farther onto the pedal the low hum becomes a roar and the road dissapears behind you. You didn't really care about getting to supermarket to pick up something for your mom, you just wanted to see how fast you could go.
>>
Is it true that there is a low key competition to see who can be the first to get away with making the headlights touch the A pillar?
>>
>>14896935
Why do you hate windows?
>>
>>14897838
Thanks for the answers. I heard that cars were plenty aerodynamic back in the 80s already though. Those Audis come to mind.
>>
>>14897228
Wo genau hast du studiert und arbeitest/schaffst ( :^) ) du in Deutschland?
Hast du in deiner Freizeit Autos gezeichnet?
>>
>>14900149
This giant brick of text is a giant brick of poetry.
>>
File: 1461301259870.jpg (153KB, 740x556px) Image search: [Google]
1461301259870.jpg
153KB, 740x556px
>>14900149
I did not expect these feels
>>
>>14897757
They just need to slap a fake grille on it and it world look fine
>>
Is it possible to design modern pop-up headlights?
>>
>>14896935
do you care about MUH SOUL in your designs?
>>
>>14900149
>one in seven people will die in an automobile-related accident
Hahaha. What?
>>
>>14897826
AW11 MR2
>>
File: 1432080158795.jpg (12KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1432080158795.jpg
12KB, 284x284px
>>14900149
>>
>>14896935
Can you faggots maybe stop designing pigfat cars with no visibility already?
>>
>>14903874
>designing
They will stop designing them that way once the design trends move in another direction. These are designers not artists. They follow trends.
>>
>>14897838
>will be forgotten as soon as the next model comes out
>because they will be broken in 20 years
is pure profit behind this ?

if they made a car that was too good people would never get rid of it
its beauty to memorable and timeless its function too adequate and unyielding

to last long its core must be solid
but there comes a point where the means required to maintain function of the the device overall outstrips its core ability to integrate them

as technology moves on a new core technology becomes available
it becomes less costly to build a new core than to make parts that the old one running

you don't make money on spares or consumables
they are small peace-meal items and can be provided for by the after market

you make it on the first sale of a complete product
to generate the money needed to develop a new and current device

you have to no longer support the old as people do like to keep it
people must have no other choice the old must not just be made replaceable but rather be completely useless
>>
>>14904339
So what happens if I buy a factory tarbo'd engine and detune it by ripping out the tarbos and remapping the ECU to be econoline cruising? I break the cycle somehow.
>>
File: 1381588848730089283.jpg (43KB, 800x447px) Image search: [Google]
1381588848730089283.jpg
43KB, 800x447px
>>14897885
I don't like the i3. It looks too tall (because of the huge area between rims and window).

>>14899115
Some of Giugiaro's cars. I like many old cars.

>>14899146
>The rest of us still hate him for ruining BMW.
He probably ruined BMW for you and some others. The majority still buys new BMWs and they love it. That is our goal.

>>14899198
partly this: >>14900149
On the other hand, if you show to 100 people a modern "alienware" car with LEDs, angry look, etc. and in comparison a Dieter Rams/Apple car, 90 would buy the alienware one. For them it feels more expensive, more high quality, than a minimalistic, sharp edged car.
We basically have to wait until the first relevant car company makes a completely new style and see if it flops or not. It is a very risky game. You can ruin the company buy making to huge design steps.

>>14900993
Never heard of that

>>14901019
This is just a random rendering I found. We try to make windows very slim, which gives the car a more aerodynamic look (inspired by planes, etc.). But of course we compete with the engineers about safety and visibility.

>>14901237
Many cars in the 80s had better aerodynamics than todays SUVs. If you look at the Audi 100 from 80s the form itself is not that much different actually.

>>14902513
Mal da mal dort :^)
Wenn du sowas anstrebst, dann studiere Transport Design zb in Pforzheim. Sei der allerbeste in deinem Jahrgang und zeige etwas richtig gutes bei der Semesterausstellung. Designabteilungen von Fahrzeugfirmen sind dort meist unterwegs und suchen sich den besten raus. Den schicken sie dann nach Cali und finanzieren das restliche Studium. Oder du machst es wie ich, gehst den Weg völlig falsch an und bekommst trotzdem einen Job wegen Kontakten.

>Hast du in deiner Freizeit Autos gezeichnet?
In meiner Freizeit, während den Vorlesungen, im Zug, vor dem Schlafen, während dem Essen, ..
>>
File: ferrari-4122.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
ferrari-4122.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>14903219
With today's safety requirements kind of impossible. Do you know why that classic Mercedes star disappeared?

>>14903923
Thank you.

>>14904339
>is pure profit behind this ?
I'm not much into engineering so I can't say for sure. Cars itself are incredible stable these days. The problem are the electronics inside.
>>
>>14896935
Hey OP, is car design cyclical? If so, what "old" style should we expect to see next? If not, then what do you think will be the likely next design trend, and by which manufacturer?

Finally, will there ever be a return to a "minimalist, bare-bones" vehicle for the average consumer? It seems like if cars today are seen as disposable, why would people want things like touch screens and other driver assisting technologies if it only jacks the price up on them if they are going to get rid of it in a few years?

Thanks
>>
>>14903219
>>14904560
I thought about axial rotating headlights. A recessed bulge that spins and just exposes the headlight inside.
>>
I suppose the industry crash that resulted in a bunch of US carmakers needing a bailout has something to do with how safe they are these days with design and everything, up till '08 or so cars were still sort of building on the same tried and true design philosophies.

what do you think it would take for the auto industry to get risky and creative again?

aside from the obvious answer of safety deregulation
>>
>>14900149
>The siren call of that V8
*V4

the kind of neutered people that the philosophy you speak of is catering to isnt going to have a costly and dangerous V8. no, a safe and tame 4 instead
>>
>>14904592
>V4
>I4
>>
>>14896935
Why does every new truck look like shit?
Why do they still build 4 door longbed trucks?
Why did Dodge ruin the heritage of charger and dart?
Thanks
>>
>>14903923
>following trends
>not setting them
Rover tier
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.