[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3rd gen Prelude vs Fiero V6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: hqdefault (1).jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
9KB, 480x360px
I wanted a Fiero. They all told me to get a Prelude. I bought the Fiero anyways - what am I missing out on /o/, stock for stock comparison?
>>
They're not really relatable but the prelude is built better overall, will be faster and better control overall but the fieros got a big after market for it. Overall inferior to the miata though.
>>
Fiero is cooler.
>>
>>14893813
Not relatable in which ways? Just talking in terms of driving dynamics, "feels", etc... which is more fun to drive at the end of the day, under which conditions?
>>
>>14894057
>Not relatable in which ways?
Pretty much everything other than being a car.

The Prelude is an 80's sport coupe, a combination of Honda's best known traits- reliability, simplicity, and a sub-2L, inline 4 powering the front wheels only. It was made for a number of years, had a bunch of different generations and basically Honda was free to work out what worked and what didn't because it's Honda and they only answer to themselves. It's right up there with CRXs for "sporty looking Hondas that are alright cars but massively overhyped by fans." The best way to sum it up is, well, it's a Honda. You know exactly what it is. It's a tight car but you won't be going hektik in it.

The Fiero is an 80's sports car that shouldn't even exist- the only reason it does is Pontiac was able to slip it under GM's radar by telling them it was a boring economy car, which it was at first except every subsequent year they made it better, eventually culminating with the later V6 models that would destroy Corvettes on GM's own track (hence why they immediately made Pontiac shitcan the Fiero). It's a mid-engine, rear wheel drive car that has pretty much zilch for cargo space and will probably kill you the first time you get frisky in the rain. It'll be harder to work on than a Honda, and probably have a lot more shit break and more often, but it's also a more interesting car, at least in terms of "cool things we could have had if GM wasn't fucking retarded."
>>
>>14893798
Plans for the Fiero?
>>
File: fieroprototype.jpg (174KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fieroprototype.jpg
174KB, 1024x768px
>>14894120
We could of had a MR firebird. Seriously, fuck GM

Personally I would go if a MR2 if you want a MR though
>>
You made the right choice I'd say. Mid-Engine V6 4 wheel disc brakes. I got one 4 months ago. This is it. I did not like this car, then I drove it and changed my mind.
>>
>>14895020
Nice Formula, is it an '88?
>>
>>14895039
It is.
>>
>>14895043
Fucking jelly, you keeping it stock?
>>
>>14895020
I had an 88 gt fast back in high school

everyone thought i drove a Ferrari
>>
>>14895049
I'm not the actual owner, I just recognised the photo and the owner told me he posted his car. He's likely going to keep it stock or turbo it.
I also have a fiero, but mine is a 3800 supercharged swap. Busted as fuck too.
>>
>>14895064
Ahhhhhh, I've talked to you before, about how you were putting down 400 to the wheels but you couldn't get wider tires because they wouldn't fit on a Fiero
>>
>>14895079
Lol no. Different fiero. I doubt I'm getting the stock 240 the 3800 pits out. And that's before the missfire.
>>
You're missing out on all wheel steering m8
>>
>>14895086
Work in progress or fuck it?
>>
>>14895039
Owner of the '88 here. Yeah keeping it stock, considering turbo for the 2.8. Having an "awesome" time getting insurance right now. Long process to own classic cars when your not 30, where I'm from anyways.
>>
you have some garbage shitbox 80s Pontiac instead of a decent sport compact
>>
>>14895102
>considering turboing the 2.8
For the love of God don't, you'd be better off swapping a junkyard Ecotec than doing anything with that godawful engine
>>
>>14895109
I'm swapping the engine regardless. It will eventually tire out. The 2.8 isn't toast yet. So the plan is to do whatever with it until I get around to building something better.
>>
File: 3662238292_ce1d4363f2[1].jpg (135KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
3662238292_ce1d4363f2[1].jpg
135KB, 500x332px
>>14895102
Have you considered a Northstar swap?
>>
>>14895123
I have. It is one of the more difficult of the common swaps, but does provide more power than the rest, and northstars are easy to come by. Still on the fence of what I'll do.
>>
>>14895121
Then don't waste your money tuning it, just drive it stock until you have enough money to swap
Buddy of my brother's had a MK3 GTI VR6 and he first tried building it NA, but then changed his mind after already dumping over 10k into it and spent another 15k turboing it, he told me he wished he had just saved the money and did the turbo right the first time, now he has issues relating to the switch
>>
>>14895123
>northstar engine
boy I sure do love head gasket leaks
>>
>>14895138
Well that's certainly a situation I wouldn't want to find myself in. As far as driving it stock goes, I really don't mind. I'll get around to swapping something in. My issue is time, so the cost of the build isn't too concerning. Thanks for the advice! I've only driven it twice in four months and the only reason I haven't insured it is because I haven't had time to meet with a broker. It's starting to be a real pain.
>>
>>14895156
Do yourself a favor and research swaps before hand, the easiest from what I hear is the supercharged 3800s, with the L67 being the most common because there's a ton of aftermarket for the swap and the engine, I would personally go Ecotec, specifically one of the turbo models like the LNF, LSJ,(Cobalt SS engines) or LK9 from a Saab because they'll get you the power you want but get amazing gas mileage when cruising
>>
>>14895171
My friend has a SC3800, its toasted now, but made good power in its prime. That and the 3.4 are by far the easiest. I've been researching since before I got the car, I'm just really really indecisive. Then sometimes I just think of leaving it how it is, since it will most likely just end up in my garage as I stoop into full fledged adulthood.
>>
>>14895193
Don't do the 3.4, I've heard nothing but bad things about that engine when it was stock in cars, it's gonna be worse when it's swapped into a car that it never came in, also heard the same argument for the HOQuad4s, Northstars have head gasket issues, probably can be had for cheap if blown already, but it'll get expensive to just get it running again, LS/SBCs are another choice but you have to remember that they will be mounted transversely and will need a compatible trans that isn't complete dogshit (again it's expensive), that's why i recommend a turbo Ecotec because they're cheaper, more reliable, and becoming more prevalent so the knowledge is out there and they respond very well to mods
>>
>>14895211
I will definitely look into that! Yeah, wasn't considering the 3.4, it isn't much of a power upgrade either.
>>
>>14895211
Monte Carlo SS and impala SS came with a transverse v8 at the end of the Monte Carlos run but they are auto only.
>>
>>14895382
And those transmissions are dogshit, which is why I don't recommend them or a V8 swap
>>
>>14893798
>what am I missing out on
understeer
>>
Since when did Preludes get all shitty according to this thread? I always heard these amazing things about them... Im getting disappointed guys.
>>
>>14899335
its just the kids getting out of school and shitting on cars they don't understand because of
>its fwd so its bad thats what jalopnik told me
>>
>>14899335
I DD a 300zx, and im saving to get my old 3rd gen lude back. it was amazing.
>>
So... the Prelude is just if you want a sportier, faster old Honda.

The Fiero is if you want a second-rate MR sports car, with all the handling benefits but not the reliability?

Something like that?
>>
>>14900086
I had my 300zx the same time I had my Prelude

Prelude was much better.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.