[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/ I need some help/advice/guidance I have a 1981 c10 pickup,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
/o/ I need some help/advice/guidance
I have a 1981 c10 pickup, all stock. It won't pass emissions on co.
It has a new egr, new quadrant, new plugs/wires/cap/rotor, new catalytic converter, thermostat and fan clutch, etc
In Arizona they use the IM147 test. Measured in grams per mile.
My results are.
HC: 2.40 out of 4.00
CO: 65.66 out of 40.00
NOX: 2.20 out of 5.50

Could it be that I have too much egr? I'm debating plugging it and re testing.
Does ignition timing effect CO levels?
It was set at 0deg when I got the truck and was passing, I have it set at 8deg

What does /o/ think?
>>
Also what about running with my air filter removed?
I have an old school covered air cleaner with an inlet tube so they wouldn't see it.
>>
>>14889266
Drive until cat at full temp
>>
>>14889290
This. Also put your timing back to 0. Never heard of a vehicle running 0 btdc stock but if it works do that. Try to run some kind of cleaner in the fuel tank before you next inspection to clean up the fuel system a bit.
>>
>living in a state where they have inspection and emissions test

Worse than cuckolding imo
>>
>>14889374
Not OP but that is one downside of living in Texas but they only do emission test on vehicles made before 1996. The inspection is just basic shit. Wouldn't wanna live anywhere else though.
>>
>>14889374
>living somewhere smelly rustrods can rattle down th road indangering everything in sight

'MUrica..land of the fatb urgers, home of the gun's..
>>
>>14889266

We have to do the same basic test here in eastern Ontario every second year...

I drive a 95 GMC k1500 4x4 4.3l ... what I've done the last two cycles, is I make my appointment for the test, at least 2 weeks in advance...then run nothing but hitest through the truck for those 2 weeks...

I've had no real work done on either the engine, or emissions for over 4 years...passed everything w/ flying colors...
>>
>>14889266
High CO is an indication of a rich fuel mixture.

Check the air cleaner
check the carb
get the engine hot as fark before the next test
If the engine isn't tinging when you drop it off you're doin' it wrong.
>>
>>14889370
4 degrees is stock. PO had it at 0. >>14889493
I was thinking of running no filter, it's a sealed case with an inlet pipe I don't think they'd check it. I passed on equipment. Gonna try a new filter.

Anybody having any thoughts on the egr? Maybe it's getting too much egr?
>>
>>14889534
>Anybody having any thoughts on the egr? Maybe it's getting too much egr?

Having never even heard of the car or engine before, and having no knowledge of what the emissions result of a healthy car looks like......what do you expect from us?

Yes
No
Maybe
>>
>>14889553
Egr allows exhaust gas to recirculate into the intake stream effectively displacing oxygen intake. On a fuel injected car the ecu will sense less air in coming through the maf, and allow less fuel. On a carbed motor egr will work, carb will still flow the same fuel.
>>
>>14889671
>On a carbed motor egr will work, carb will still flow the same fuel.
Not if the egr is injected into the manifold i.e not upstream of the carb.
>>
>>14889493
sounds like the mixture is too rich, set the timing to oem spec, set the idle speed then turn the mixture screw in until it stops (lightly) turn it out 1+1/2 turns. start the engine, turn the screw out a 1/4 turn at a time until you find the max rpm, turn it out until the rpm drops off then back 1/4 turn. Used to pass with a 68 fury errytime. if that doesn't do it you need a carb rebuild.
>>
>>14889820
But it's a loaded test. Idle won't mean shit for me. Timing is set at spec, I'm gonna lower it.
>>
Anyone here know if denatured alcohol will help?
>>
>>14890134
nigga you're running rich. lean up your fucking carb

http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-carbon-monoxide-co.cfm
>>
>>14891886
I know I'm rich, I just need to limp this fucker through emissions for the last time and sell it and get rid of it. I'm tired of fucking with carbs at this point it's like round 15 of that. I want some shit I can pour in or disable easily that will squeeze through. Bought a gallon of denatured alcohol, if the thread is still up tomorrow I'll give an update.
>>
>>14892641
you have a carb - leaning it out is a simple fucking adjustment
removing an air filter isnt going to do shit
EGR is for Nox reduction - not CO

several guys have already told you its running rich and that's your problem. it's an easy fix.
>>
>>14892716
How do I lean out a quadrajet? I can't find much online aside from playing with jets. Not idle, I mean over all.
>>
>>14892787
Actually with a 'Bog you play with metering rods first. You would need a thicker rod to reduce flow through the jet.

In your case it would probably be easier and sufficient to drop the float level 1 or 2/32nds. Still have to pull up the top but you don't have to research and find rod/jet combos. If it would take much more than that to hit the target you would really need to be playing with rods and jets.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.