[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Motorcycle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Hello, my br/o/thers.

I come to you today for some advice on my first Motorcycle. This won't be my first two-wheeled vehicle; I also enjoy bicycling and riding around town on my moped.

I was originally checking out 300cc motorcycles offered by Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and KTM.

However, A friend of mine owns a number of motorcycles and recommends a Buell XB9SX.

I like it because it's quirky. Push-rod, air cooled, belt drive, lightweight, has low-end torque, etc.

Is this a good first bike for someone with a bit of experience with other 2-wheeled transportation?
>>
File: ktm a shit.jpg (3MB, 4100x2116px) Image search: [Google]
ktm a shit.jpg
3MB, 4100x2116px
>>14881704
>I was originally checking out 300cc motorcycles offered by Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and KTM.
>and KTM
>>
>>14881723
>first answer is maymays

just get japcrap if you want to post here
>>
>>14881723
I wasn't really looking for an off-road motorcycle, but understood. I guess I'll stay away from KTM.
>>
>>14881704

Just get a honda, brah and get it over with.

Memecycles like the one you posted will not get you far.
>>
>>14881761
That's a cherry picked meme.
KTM is actually really good
>>
>>14881704
Depends. Is it in good condition? Maintained well? Proof of maintenence? What's the price, mileage, year? Been dropped or laid down?

You gotta ask these questions m8. If you want our help, we need this info.

As far as the power goes on it, you should be good as long as you're not stupid with the throttle. The Buell v twins are based on the Harley Sportster engines so they have a smooth, predictable powerband.
>>
>>14881814
I'm not looking to purchase until next spring. At this point I'm just doing research. I'll definitely have a buddy of mine help me out when it comes time to buy.

How is the cost of ownership? Maintenance? Reliability? Etc?
>>
>>14881704
>Buell
Ahahahahahaha
Enjoy never riding
>>
>should I get a 984cc bike for my first bike

No don't. You're gonna either die, or end up not having any fun because you're a newbie learning to ride on a really powerful bike.

Get a used 250-500cc naked bike or dualsport and ride it for half a year or so and then buy the Buell after you're comfortable riding.
>>
>>14881872
But a buell 984 has about as much HP as a Honda 200
>>
>>14881872
>he fell for the starter bike meme

top kek
>>
>>14881879
Yeah but at some point he's gonna want to rip that throttle. And when he does all that torque (the one thing that bike has mountains of) is gonna flip and crush his stupid head in.
>>
>>14881892
That's OK. We don't need more stupid riders on the road.
And by stupid riders I mean people that think buell is good.
>>
File: 1459908360493.jpg (20KB, 363x360px) Image search: [Google]
1459908360493.jpg
20KB, 363x360px
>>14881913
>>
>>14881884
He's a cyclist, 250cc might be more than he can handle.

Better start with a Grom.
>>
>>14881841
Cost of ownership shouldn't be bad as long as you don't have any mechanical issues. I haven't own a Buell per se, but I had an 883 Sportster for a while. I didn't have any issues with it and I put 18000 miles on it in about a year. Maintenance isn't bad if you do it all yourself, but if you bring it to Harley, they'll rape you more often then naught. I suggest going to another Powersports dealership because they do good work but typically charge much less. That's where I went to have new tires installed. Oh yeah, the Harley tires there were cheaper as well.
>>
I probably wouldn't recommend that bike to start on. It has a lot of low end power so it will need very fine control in wet weather and in corners especially with such light weight you can easily unload the front tire and lose steering control it might come unexpected.

The best option really is a used bike under 600cc. They are fairly cheap and the chance you will drop your first bike is pretty high.

However, if you keep the bike out of the power band any bike is typically easy to control but I have seen it first hand where someone full throttle took their bike to the redline, pulled a wheelie by accident and set it badly and threw themselves off at about 60mph the bike was wrecked and they weren't in a good shape themselves it really depends on the rider.

I'd suggest taking at least one course and insist on taking a bike with OK power like a ninja 300 or similar to get a feel for a bike before you think of getting a 1000cc.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.