[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flat plane V8s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1458454528391.gif (2MB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
1458454528391.gif
2MB, 270x188px
Why do people idolize them when they literally sound like angry inline 4 engines?

Why not just actually taking a supercharged inline 4 then?
>>
You must not understand torque OP
>>
revs
>>
Go drive one
>>
why are you buying an engine purely for sound? would you buy a slower engine that sounds better?

flat plane v8s sound good anyway. it's just different from cross plane v8s. not worse or better really.
>>
>>14870978
Just repeated buzzwords op. Regurgitated ramblings of ford fanboys. Just because it has a flat plane crank doeant make it any better then it was.
>>
>>14870978
no replacement for displacement
>>
>>14870996
>>14871069

>muh torque

>implying modern 4 cylinders aren't there yet
>>
>>14871082
They're not.
>>
"Several professional race engine builders I recently spoke with regarding the pros and cons of a flat-plane crank stated that, given their vibration issues, they had no idea why Ford opted to use one in the new GT350. Others suggested that it was purely for marketing. If there were indeed marketing considerations behind the decision to go flat-plane, kudos to Ford's marketing department. Ford turned “flat-plane crank” into a sexy catch phrase that sounds really impressive to people who know absolutely nothing about engines. Everyone’s talking about the GT350’s flat-plane crank, and you got to hand it to Ford for pulling off one heck of a PR coups that transformed the entire automotive press corps into a flat-plane crank propaganda machine."

Marketing
>>
>>14871153
>lighter rotating assembly
>no idea why

most likely the GM "engineers" in charge of the LT4
>>
>>14870978

Does anyone have the version of this with the faces?
>>
>>14871169
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim

Probably not gm.

Also, how much lighter? Is that really a good trade off for those nasty secondary harmonics?
>>
>>14871185
that author is clearly fucking retarded

the only affordable flat plane v8 options before the voodoo was a lingelfelter aftermarket crank for the LS or a lotus v8, which is rare as fuck
>>
>>14871208
And minivans and honda civics.

Why would you want one anyway? My ls is gravy already without one.
>>
>>14871215
>minivans and honda civivs have flatplane v8s

wow, i didn't know that

guess you learn something new everyday huh? this world is full of surprises
>>
>>14870978
>they literally sound like angry inline 4 engines?
you're literally hearing impaired
>>
>>14871215
>minivans and civics have flatplane v8s
>muh ls

well there we have it, GM boys are retarded
>>
Lighter
No counter balancing therefore better response and better ability to rev without putting massive stresses on everything else
Noise is subjective, I like the screaming sound they make and don't mind a lot of 4 cyl sounds and don't like CP v8 sound
>>
>>14870978
I tried to convince myself to like the new voodoo exhaust note but every time I listen to it with fresh ears I just hate it.
>>
Mclaren, Ferrari and Porsche all use flat plane V8's.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.