[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High Milage B6 A4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

How bad of an idea is it to buy a A4 with over 400,000km on the chassis? Engine was replaced, has 45,000km on it. Pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2483x2447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2483x2447px
>>14869725
What engine?
I've owned a 350k km A4 B6 just like pictured, 2.5 tdi with multitronic transmission.
Honestly it was pretty shit
>>
>>14869758
1.8T. It's quattro as well. Not sure if any of them came non-quattro
>>
>>14869799
Mine was FWD
If it has a manual trans it might be not too bad, my engine was running fine, i've heard some bad things about the 1.8 turbo engine though.
Pretty stable chassis, decent comfort, the bushings and suspension bearings tend to wear out so it's likely you'll have to replace some
>>
>>14869863
It's a manual. I've read some B6 vs B7 threads. Seems like B7 owners say the1.8T is shit and B6 owners say the 2.0T is shit.

Bushings and stuff isn't that huge of an issue for me. I suspect the owner has done some of that type of stuff if they are still driving it at 400k.

How bad is it to work on these things. If I had to replace a tranny, is that something I could do in my garage?
>>
>>14869725
no. and thats coming from an a4 owner. at that point, things will start breaking a lot and will be expensive to fix. youll exceed its worth within 1-2 fix ups
>>
>>14870051
Fair enough. Thanks.

Otherwise are Audis pretty decent? I'm looking at an A3 or A4 Avant to replace my truck.
>>
>>14869725
B5 owner here, unless they changed too many things other than the front supports between the chassis types, any faults or things that wear out should be quite easy and cheap to fix, the engine will surely live a long life, but the chassis might have stuff like exhaust-mounts or fuel tank straps rusting off if you live in a wet climate. Had to make a new exhaust mount out of a few bolts and weld them to the bottom of the car :D '96 A4, but mine has been missing the bottom covers for a long time. Otherwise the chassis and panels are rust-proof and pretty decent, I'd take it on a lift before I'd buy it though, just to see the condition of the bottom of the car. They're really great cars and very cheap (if you do it yourself) and easy to maintain.
>>
>>14873366
It's the opposite with B6's with the rust
My 2003 A4 had some (minor) body rust issues but not chassis.
>>
>>14869725
Judging by the blades on the ground there, guy's a whitewater kayaker -- so it'll probably have been used a lot with boats on the roof or inside, done a bit of off-road, what you'd expect really. Most paddlers I know absolutely beat on their cars though.
>>
>>14869799
Multitronic and quattro were never able to be combined.

>>14870990
Within warranty they're decent, after warranty everything starts going wrong and fixing it becomes expensive. Consider a Lexus if you don't want to fix it all the time.
>>
Mine only has 97000 miles on and has about 45 degrees of play in the steering, and the suspension jumps around like a bouncy castle.
>>
>>14875974
That sounds more like you just need to do some maintenance than anything wrong with the car itself.

Story behind the 400k is yearly trips out east and back. Makes me a little less concerned about it. Probably go check it out on the weekend.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.