[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should you change high mileage manual transmission fluid?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Recently bought a 2007 Civic SI with 145k and I noticed it's a little rough going into 2nd. I want to change the mtf but I don't know the previous service history on the transmission. I'm expecting the oil to be black and burnt. But I've heard horror stories of transmissions breaking after the fluid change. Do you think I should leave the old oil and hope it lasts or just drain and fill it?
>>
>>14854255
change
>>
>>14854255
You're thinking of the horror stories of post flushes. Those are usually automatics, which honestly, if they break after that, they were fucked to begin with.
>>
>tfw 14 year old shitbox
>never changed tranny oil EVER

How fucked am I? I know the tranny is the weakest part in my car, but Im not sure if changing the fluid will prolong it from failing, or just fuck my shit up faster.
>>
>>14854255
I dont think you have anything to really worry about with a manual
>>
>>14854326

Ive heard manuals can run rougher after oil changes because all the crap will get dislodged with the fresh fluid.
>>
>>14854336
>all the crap
I'm pretty sure the oil in a manual tranny isn't going to have that much debris in it, it's just gonna be old.
>>
>>14854336
I'm still 50/50. I really don't have the money to swap the transmission if it goes to shit immediately. But I definitely agree that when the dealer flushes out the old shit on AT they usually break soon after. There's just not enough info on MT's.
>>
>>14854365
Guaranteed there will be, there's no tranny filter in Honda transmissions, so all those metal shavings are just circulating in the transmission.
>>
>>14854391
>there's no tranny filter in Honda transmissions
so just like any other manual transmission then?
>all those metal shavings
If you have a considerable amount of metal shavings in your manual, that gearbox is be pretty fucked anyway, whether you replaced the oil or not
>>
>>14854391
Unless it's got a magnet in it.

Manual gearboxes don't often end up with filings in them. Sometimes you find bits of detents sitting in the bottom but being that the gears are all constant mesh they stay pretty well aligned so they don't have much opportunity to create shavings.
>>
>>14854255
If you're worried that changing the fluid could ruin your transmission, your transmission is probably already fucked to begin with. They aren't made of glass.
>>
Auto transmission fluid has many more jobs than manual fluid.

In an automatic it provides oiling, cleaning, cooling, and pressure purposes. It gets beat up.

Manual fluid is just pressure and oiling.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.