[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>But anon, why do people need cars capable of such dangerous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: dbDZ8PR.gif (2MB, 350x189px) Image search: [Google]
dbDZ8PR.gif
2MB, 350x189px
>But anon, why do people need cars capable of such dangerous speeds when the speed limit is Xmph?

What's your argument against this notion?

>inb4 b-but muh track days
>>
Why do people need such strong computers when all they need is a pentium to browse internet?
>>
>>14826804
I live in a rural area and the cops don't give a fuck
>>
Why do we need cars when bicycles, horses or walking works just as well?
>>
Why do we drill for oil and pollute the sky when we could just go back to killing whales?
>>
>>14826833

Video games.
>>
>>14826833
because os's are becoming bloated.
>>
>>14826833
Yea, but the things you can do with a stronger computer usually aren't illegal

My friend asked me that question the other day, I genuinely couldn't think up a response. What happens if the politicians start coming after fast cars just like guns? How would we defend against it?
>>
>>14826879
By using our assault cars.
>>
>>14826862
>go back to
>ever stopping
>>
>>14826884
For real though, I feel like we're going to get cucked hard by legislators, especially with all this self driving tech coming around
>>
File: 1455062917243.jpg (343KB, 1920x2502px) Image search: [Google]
1455062917243.jpg
343KB, 1920x2502px
>>14826804
>Gosh anon, you're such a loser!
finally we have shitposting on /o/
>>
>>14826898
>finally we have shitposting on /o/
>finally

How new are you?
>>
>>14826804

They don't.

/thread
>>
>>14826895
You're probably right, but lot's of people aren't going to either buy them or afford them.
>>
Because its fun to go fast.
>>
Because here in the sticks I can drive 100mph too and from work because everyone else does the same. Only wusses fear going fast because they're too sissy armed to control their vehicle at higher speeds on varying conditions
>>
File: freedom boner.gif (974KB, 285x171px) Image search: [Google]
freedom boner.gif
974KB, 285x171px
>>14826804
Because reasons.
>>
The same reason why you need a fucking ton of clothes and shoes while just using a few of them
>>
File: Clintonhearing.jpg (77KB, 860x528px) Image search: [Google]
Clintonhearing.jpg
77KB, 860x528px
>>14826926
>>14826909
>>14826919
>>14826932
not good enough anon
>>
I want a Tesla for insane mode. I love g force
>>
Because FUCK YOU safetycucks.
>>
>>14826949
Tell us why then
>>
So I can kill you in my steel landbarge
>>
File: Montana.jpg (37KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Montana.jpg
37KB, 800x450px
>>14826804

There are areas in the world where there is no speed limit, or is at dangerously high levels
>>
>>14827021
Because he's asking why you need this when anything you could reasonably do with it is illegal, and the only responses I've seen have been either "fuck you" or "I do illegal things" which, while entertaining, won't exactly fly when some soccer mom is yelling at you for your noisy useless car and trying to pass legislation to get it banned
>>
>>14827021
I'm trying to put you guys on the spot just like i was the other day. I can't figure it out either, and as far as i'm concerned not limiting a vehicle's top speed should be protected by the 1st amendment lol
>>
top speed isn't as important as acceleration, and acceleration is not illegal, it's just way more fun
>>
>need
>>
Because it takes a lot of power to safely accelerate up to 75mph on an onramp. Even more so if you're a truck with a load. Politicians understand that we don't want to wail on a weeny weedwacker motor for half a minute just near to the ballpark of the speedlimit. Don't worry. Also, don't fucking talk about shit like that. The wrong super-hippie with connections might hear you or something.
>>
>>14827057

>Speed is a natural god-given right

:)
>>
>>14827047
how about not caring what random normalfag opinion gets thrown at you?
>>
>>14827055
also, the current speed limits were enacted in the 60s when cars had drum brakes and driving at 65 felt like you were about to die
in modern cars 65 is basically nothing and you can stop quite fast.
speed doesn't kill, excessive speed relative to everyone else around you kills (and also excessive speed in densely populated areas with pedestrians)
>>
>>14827044
>it's illegal
By that definition all the automakers wouldn't put more than 150hp on their cars. But in reality they do
>>
There's a difference between doing 0-X in 10 seconds and 1 second.
>>
What about motorsports? Electric cars can't really do that many laps on racetracks, especially at full tilt. Your beloved P85 is only good for a standing 1/4 mile at a time, reasonably.
>>
>>14827072

I can do 0-20 in 10 seconds
>>
>>14827065

Speed limits are now actually more for average driver's reaction time rather than for car's limits. Shit sucks for those of us who take driving seriously, and at least pay attention - regardless of actual skill.
>>
>>14827047
>be normalfag
>know jackshit about cars
>ask anon why you need more power
>because yadda yadda
>no uh I will tell him that is not enough while not knowing jackshit about the topic
>>
>>14827093

"yadda yadda"

Stop watching Seinfeld
>>
>>14827063
It's not just the normalfags man. It isn't too far fetched for politicians to start going after fast cars. Think about /k/. They're armed to the teeth with reasons why gun control is shitty and we should be about limits on speed/hp etc
>>
>>14827057
I have THE NEEEED
>>
>>14826907
There will be cash-for-clunkers style incentives for people to trade in their ancient, obsolete manually-driven car for an all-new, safe self-driving model.
After a few years, you'll have to pay out the ass for insurance if you want to drive yourself.
>>
If there's an emergency and you need to get to your destination quickly, like say a medical emergency where you're unable to wait for an ambulance.

Or hey, how about you're stuck behind someone going the speed limit but he's swerving all over the road and generally being a road hazard. Maybe you want to get around that guy but oh wait no you're going the speed limit so fuck you.
>>
>>14827109
>It isn't too far fetched for politicians to start going after fast cars.
yeah they might pipe up until they get a big fat check form the car manufacturers
as long as there's money in fast cars, they will be legal
>>
>>14827122
>until they get a big fat check form the car manufacturers

God i normally hate that kind of shit but it gives me some comfort
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 720x540px
>Anon why do people need a bigger house? If a room is enough to live with your family
>Anon why do people need more money? Isn't X amount enough to live well
>Anon why do people need more food? Isn't two meals not enough for your body?
>>
>>14826879
A stronger computer can break encryptions.
>>
>>14827145
>Anon why do you need all those clothes? Aren't these two jumpsuits are enough for you?
>Anon why do you need music? Isn't the sounds of nature enough for you?
>Anon why do you need all that air? Isn't a breath every two minutes enough for you?
>>
I can think of several reasons, living in PA there are quite a few hills that without my 4.6 v8 I would have to pull in first or second at 20 mph.

My gas mileage would drop dramatically if I had to maintain highway speeds or accelerate with only 150 hp to pull my 5000 lb truck.

Sometimes you may find yourself in a situation where you have to GO RIGHT NOW to avoid collision.

So in conclusion, convenience, environment and saftey all play a roll. Granted this may not apply to 500 hp baby killing machines but hey, its a start.
>>
>>14827183
you can still make a 500hp car that's limited to like 100
>>
>>14827145
>>14827181
You both suck with the grammar.
>>
>>14827214
You do make a good point there, however as much as I love speed and cars there really is no reason to go 100 mph on public roads. You are only a danger to yourself and others. What happens to you is of little concern to me, but dont put me and my son at risk because you think your speed racer.
>>
>>14827364
It's a scary thought though. obviously it's dangerous, but i hate the idea of knowing my car is limited to a certain speed by the government.
>>
File: Cave_306c59_1052289.jpg (24KB, 196x274px) Image search: [Google]
Cave_306c59_1052289.jpg
24KB, 196x274px
>anon why does your speedometer go up to 260???? the speed limit on the highway is 110!!!
>>
>>14827382

Get a car that won't do that, then. Or make one.
>>
File: image.png (189KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
189KB, 2000x2000px
>speed limit
>>
>>14826804
Speed limits are arbitrary and have no relevance to safety as pretty much anything over 40 is capable of killing you in most cars, given the right circumstance.

They're there to be revenue sources.
>>
>>14826907
EFI was a big deal at some point.
Also, "Power steering? That's for luxury cars, I could never afford that!"
>>
>>14827382
You really put me in a position here. My reasonable side says 100 mph limit is not so bad, however my hate for gov intervention makes me feel 200 mph cars should be a standard part of a happy home.

The problem here is that we simply cant trust people to be responsible. Im not sure what the answer here is.
>>
File: 1438948609535.gif (988KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
1438948609535.gif
988KB, 500x270px
>>14827181
>anon, why do you need privacy? Do you have something to hide?
>anon, why do you need guns? Don't you have the police to protect you?
>anon why do you need independent thought? Do you think there's something wrong with what we teach in schools?
>>
>>14827181
>>14827145
This is retarded because breathing and buying a larger house aren't necessarily immediate hazards to other people
Having 350 horses available when you let your foot down and an incredible top speed can be.
>>
>>14827454
fucking this
>>
>>14827459
You might have an argument for stricter governors on cars, but not HP. More power doesn't matter much if fuel shuts off at 90mph.
>>
>>14826879
>speed is illegal
That completely depends on if youre in germany or not.
>>
>>14826840
Goodluck global trading with and supporting 7 billion people with horses
>>
>>14827504
Implying I care about the rest of the world.
>>
>>14827515
This is probably a troll, but you act as if global trading doesn't benefit you?
>>
>>14827109
We could just copy their reasons

>If you make owning fast cars a crime, only criminaly will have fast cars. Then how are we supposed to defend ourselves against them?
>>
>>14827459

A fork can be dangerous too, better make owning forks illegal.
>>
>>14827459
>larger house not a hazard
Tears up the ground, more people working with power tools and heavy objects, etc
>>
>>14827535
I live in backwoods ky. Not as much as you think.
>>
>>14827549
You're on an auto board and you claim the global economy doesn't effect you. Yet you'd get mad if someone said Americans are ignorant.
>>
>>14826804
Speed doesn't kill people, people kill people.
>>
>>14827563
I would? People say things all the time, it doesn't make them right. You can disagree all you want and I couldn't care less.

No, just because (you think) the global economy would die if people didn't drive cars doesn't mean that my life would be radically altered, I'd be fine. Most of the food around here is grown locally, so I'd be good there. The Amish down the rd seem to do just fine and they're not concerned wih the global economy in the least.

Even then, I never said the global economy wouldn't effect me, I said it wouldn't as much as you think. You put words in my mouth.
>>
>>14827062
As Eleanor Roosevelt once said
> America is all about speed, hot dirty badass speed
>>
>>14827572
People don't kill people, actions kill people
>>
Doesn't the government mandate the average mpgs of every automaker?

Isn't that already the same thing?
>>
>>14827644
People bitch about 'muh power' not about mpg. Because they think you will cause every accident ever with your gorillion hp car
>>
>>14827660
When in reality, the majority of accidents is caused by people not paying attention, usually while driving a very normal shitbox.
>>
>>14826804
Freedom, bitchcuck.

Car performance/power difference can be demonstrated even well within legal operating limits. A Dodge Viper has more power than a Geo Metro and can show and use it even without breaking a speed limit. Overtaking on the interstate is made safer by having more roll-on power, again even without ever breaking a speed limit. Getting up to speed to prevent a possible rear-ending if an error in visibility/judgment is made when turning into traffic is easier and safer in a vehicle with more power and thus is a safety advantage.

Each state, country can have separate maximum speed limits and they are subject to change; what is illegal now could be legal within the life of the vehicle, or it could not, but that's irrelevant.

Use on private property does not have to comply with many of the rules and regulations public roads are subject to. Vehicle performance in excess of current speed limits can be legally enjoyed on private property where sufficient to physically allow such.
>>
>>14827682
Wanting to display the amount of power you have is offensive and a product of rape culture. It's [THE CURRENT YEAR], I mean COME ON.
>>
>>14827459
larger house means reduced land area, increasing prices in densely populated areas, thus marginalizing the poor who usually live in these areas. BAN ASSAULT HOUSES.

See, with this kind of logic you can always make some sort of sense.
>>
>>14826804
I flip it around

Why do you need your own bathroom, or your own house? It's not necessary to live! Why do you need a phone that takes pictures and goes on the internet? Why do you need a portable phone at all? Why do you need those name brand clothes? Cheap rags keep you modest just fine!

I close with this: life in the civilized world isn't about need, if you want a life where everything is just what you need, go live in a little hut in the woods and eat berries and shit in a hole.
>>
>>14826804
Freedom. It's not the responsibility nor burden of the governed to explain why they "need" something as everything is their right until it is restricted by rule of law; it falls on the governing to provide a sufficient justification to REMOVE freedoms by way of that law.

At least that might have been how it worked once upon a time, now it's just "shitty stupid fucking idea" or "one dipshit offended or scared with or without cause" and there are 500 new laws (and taxes because why not right huehuehue) ruining everything for everyone else.
>>
>>14827549
except you know, the fact that you have a car, tools, a computer and internet access with which you can shitpost

or is that all made local from local materials, labor and expertise?
>>
>>14826804
TRACK DAY MOTHERFUCKER

GODDAMN COMMUTER ASSHOLE

I SWEAR ILL WRECK YOU
>>
>>14828034
I already have all that stuff, I wouldn't have to have it shipped from overseas. You think I'm going to throw my cool stuff away because you think the world is going to end because you can't drive a car?
>>
>>14826804
>implying I give a fuck about the speed limit.
>>
>>14826804
If you gear them to top out at 80mph or so they get shit MPG.
>>
>>14826895
>self driving tech

Its dangerously shit at badly marked roads and poor weather conditions, so unless you're a calicuck, they're not happening
>>
>>14826804
Honest answer, control.
Basketball players don't lift weights so they can shoot from further away, they do it so they're using less muscle to make the same shots, and in general that means more control.

In a shitty car you have small response times to do the same things a much better car can. I can stop way later or accelerate out of the way of someone who is going to hit me much quicker if I have that extra power.

Also a powerful engine is often much more reliable when accelerating as quickly as a less powerful engine, because using less of the engines potential causes less stress.

Its not about how fast or how far, its about reliability and safety.

For the argument on limiting cars top speeds, have you ever noticed when you're in slippery conditions and your speedo isn't reading correctly? Also how can you account for different speed limits in different areas? And upon speed limiting device malfunction couldn't that cause dangerous deceleration at times?
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.