[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New manual driver ?s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
Hey folks, I just started drivin my manual civic I just bought a few days ago and have a couple questions. For one, my handbrake seems to be a little loose. Are manual hand takes normally a little loose when not engaged? If I move my hand an bump it up on accident it will move a bit. Second, for braking, should I engage the clutch right before I start braking or before I come to a complete stop? Also wondering, is just shifting to neutral and then using the brake bad at all? Thanks in advance
>>
>>14824300
Your handbrake shouldn't be loose, the cable may have lost tension over time. You might need to replace it.
Shifting to neutral and using your brakes isn't bad. Memesters will tell you how much faster it wears your brakes than engine braking but pads are a wear item anyway and they're easy to replace. I'd only care if I had some archaic POS that still had rear drum brakes.
>>
>>14824310
What about the clutch? Do you only use it while braking before you come to a full stop?
>>
Shifting to neutral before braking isn't "bad" per se, just wastes a bit of fuel. Personally, I leave it in gear to take advantage of fuel cut during engine braking, then when when I'm about to come to a stop I shift to neutral and let the clutch out to save wear on the throwout bearing.
>>
>>14824382
Downshifting twice puts twice as much wear on your throwout bearing than just leaving the clutch engaged, four times as much if you double clutch. I don't know where the idea that holding your clutch in wears the bearing came from it's not like it's spinning constantly.
>>
>>14824300

A sincere congratulations to you anon for making the big jump from auto to manual.
Most people will never make this transition and never experience the joy and benefits of driving a manual.

I suggest you watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbZlhduYJY
>>
>>14824492
When the car is stopped and the clutch is pressed in, the engine is spinning and the tranmission's input shaft isn't. This difference in speed is what puts wear on the throwout bearing. It certainly does make a difference over the lifetime of the clutch, especially if you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic.

And I never mentioned downshifting.
>>
>>14824537
the resting thing is true only with old cars
>>
>>14824546
>>14824546
>When the car is stopped and the clutch is pressed in, the engine is spinning and the tranmission's input shaft isn't
And neither is the throwout bearing within a couple seconds. If you shifted into neutral by clutching I guess that there would have been somewhat reduced momentum from the transmission on the bearing. I usually shift into neutral as I'm stopping more in preparation to shift into first than to prevent wear. but that's a habit I just naturally developed after a certain amount of time driving a manual.

Downshifting to stop is probably useful when learning what downshifting feels like for use in cornering but it doesn't protect your throwout bearing like at all and it seems like lots of Anons like to claim otherwise.
>>
>>14824608

Even then I think it's a good idea not to develop the habit.

You should have both your hands on the wheel unless you're doing some frequent shifting.
>>
>>14824300
>is just shifting to neutral and then using the brake bad at all?
It's not bad in the way that it won't do any damage but you're wasting fuel, losing braking power and wearing out brake pads more- not in ridiculous amounts but just a little bit. If you leave the car in gear when braking you will engine brake which will give you more stopping power and the engine will not inject gas at all (contrary to leaving it in neutral). The savings will probably be negligible but the difference in stopping power might make it or break it in extreme conditions.
>>
>>14824646
You need to look up what a throwout bearing is and how it works, because it's clear you have no clue.

The throwout bearing HAS to be spinning when the clutch is pressed in and there is a difference in speed between the pressure plate and the input shaft of the transmission. Otherwise you'd just wear right through the fingers on your pressure plate (I've seen this happen with seized throwout bearings and it's not pretty). Not only is it spinning, the clutch hydraulics are putting a lot of pressure on it, because that's how a clutch works.

They do wear out and fail prematurely. You can argue all you want, but it happens, and just taking the transmission out of gear and letting the clutch out is a simple way to prevent pointless wear.

And you're the only one talking about downshifting here.
>>
>>14824537
Thanks buddy :-) Even though it's a 2001 civic it's actually been a blast to drive so far
>>
First and final bump
>>
>>14824742
You can't stop by magic. You have to clutch whether it's to downshift (most wear to bearing), just to hold the clutch (bearing wears until car stops), or to shift to neutral (bearing wears until inertia in flywheel is expended). There's no way to prevent wear to it and the debate on what causes more wear to it is pretty academic if you ask me. Surely it wasn't normal wear and tear that caused the bearing you saw to seize?
>>
>>14824382
You dont need clutch when puttin it to neutral my man
>>
>>14825088
Your poor synchros
>>
>>14825098
Dude you think u need syncro for neutral? Learn2to transmission
>>
>>14825088
>>14825109
>Why double clutch?
>>
>>14824300
>Second, for braking, should I engage the clutch right before I start braking or before I come to a complete stop?

You'll speed up momentarily if you push the clutch in before the break. Instead you should break first and engage the clutch when your speed starts to drop below that required to maintain your current gear

>Also wondering, is just shifting to neutral and then using the brake bad at all?
Why would you do this?
>>
>>14825123
You srsly dont have a clue do you?
>>
>>14824537
his voice really irritates my ears for some reason it's not annoying it just bugs my ears
>>
>>14825177

I perceive him to be a faggot but despite that I felt his advice was sound.
>>
>>14825082
Wear on the throwout bearing only occurs while the clutch is pressed in. Pressing the clutch long enough to pop it out of gear just before coming to a stop takes half a second, versus the minutes you'll spend with it pressed in while waiting at a stop light. This should not be difficult to understand.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.