[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HUDs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 99hud_01_ph_01[1].jpg (123KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
99hud_01_ph_01[1].jpg
123KB, 1600x900px
I really like the idea of HUDs, and all the possibilities they have.

How cool would it be to have holograms of random bits of information through the windshield?

For example, if you were looking for Chinese restaurants, you could tell the navigation to show all Chinese restaurants in the vicinity, and all them would show markers in virtual space through the windshield. Marked buildings hidden behind taller buildings would show markers risen high enough to be seen from behind them, like in Sly Cooper 2 and 3.
>>
I wonder how long it will be before someone hacks dicks all over them.
>>
>>14824055
I like the idea, but it would be taking distracted driving to a whole new level. I know hud already exists in some cars but it's usually in cars that aren't owned by stacy.
>>
>>14824055
It would need to be extremely well designed.
I wonder if they could so something similar to fighter aircraft where they have a glass HUD.
I don't think it's practical to do it on the windshield.
>>
>>14824055
that's way too much bullshit to look at

I have a hud in my car, only thing I need/want is the speedometer
>>
>>14824055
its actually distracting as fuck especially at night.

imagine someone shining 100leds from inside the car at the windscreen
>>
Augmented reality would be amazing for navigation
>>
>>14824055
I wonder how much will I have to pay to fix it in 5-10 years
>>
File: Yamaha PES2 (2).jpg (97KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
Yamaha PES2 (2).jpg
97KB, 1440x960px
>>14824055

>you could tell the navigation to show all Chinese restaurants in the vicinity

Seeing their health inspection ratings would also be nice.

I'd also like a HUD to show neighborhood crime statistics. I wonder if driverless cars will have the option of avoiding high crime neighborhoods.

Whatever happened to the "avoid ghetto" app?
>>
>>14824384
Nah they'll be hard coded to detour to the shittiest areas possible to avoid being racist.
>>
>>14824096

Electronic aids could help prevent accidents.

>>14824130

Like an aircraft is kind of like what I was thinking.

>>14824340

It could be customizable.

>>14824357

The brightness could adapt to the ambient light.

>>14824368

Yeah, a navigation line like in The Crew and in the picture would be so cool.

Or what if the line was on the road? It could have arrows like in a sim racing game, with brake indicators on the corners.

>>14824376

It would probably be cheap because it's just a projector on top of the dash, but it looks like it fills the whole world in front of you.

>>14824384

That would be another possibility.
>>
File: huehuehue.jpg (12KB, 439x222px) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.jpg
12KB, 439x222px
>>14824410
Maybe a radar showing the nearest police cars like in Need for Speed or GTA
>>
Not a fan. Maybe if I was a courier or something I'd have a use for it but I already know where the chinese restaurants are and I know how to get where I go and I can read map and plan a route.

Maybe if I'm driving a rental in another city it'll be useful, but I'm not going to bother learning how to use it.
>>
>>14824410
looks like an opportunity
if it were useful enough I'd buy it
I think GPS and other telemetry could be improved a lot by it
If you can carve out a place for it in the dash, would be even better for saving space
>>
>>14825303
actually there's already some models on the way
https://www.navdy.com/
This thing looks like absolute shit though, it's just the reflection of the smartphone on the windshield
http://www.sygic.com/gps-navigation/addon/head-up-display
>>
>a-pillars already so fat it creates a huge blindspot in corners
>now they want to flash shit directly in your field of view

has progress gone too far?
>>
Only piece of info I want on my windshield is my speed. Everything else I don't mind looking at my dash for. I am quite sure there is gadgets that do that already.
>>
>>14825599
If it sits right below the windshield, it's in your peripheral field of view, which is where the original dash is then no problem right?
>>14825758
why not sensors for oil, engine temp and rpm?
you could even draw a schematic of the road up ahead in 3d so you know what to anticipate on new routes/turns where visibility is low
Obviously more than you'd need, but it would be a nice option for a higher end car.
And the numbers would be in a more discrete place, like with aircraft.
>>
>>14824426

Yes! That would be cool.

>>14824459

I imagine it will get better with more features. Maybe you will find something about it you'll like?

>>14825303
>I think GPS and other telemetry could be improved a lot by it

That's exactly what I am thinking. It could add a level of dynamism to driving. The only issue I find is that with self driving cars becoming more common, people might see it as redundant/obsolete and the technology might not grow as much because of it.

>>14825321

That first one looks so cool. :D

>>14825599

It's all transparent, so it won't block anything from being seen.

I remember watching a video of a car which projected images on the pillars to create an unobstructed 360 degree view around the driver, but I forgot what it was called.

>>14825758

Great! I think most people can learn to appreciate it in some way.

>>14825984

Guidelines on the lanes and markers on the traffic would change the way people drive in fog forever.
>>
Shut the Fuck up no one needs a fucking heads up display
>>
File: 1455062917239.jpg (5KB, 180x151px) Image search: [Google]
1455062917239.jpg
5KB, 180x151px
>>14827331
>people can't like what I don't like
>>
>>14825984
Those additional sensors can be good and all, but I never find myself constantly looking at them. I wouldn't mind if they were small and to the side in case I needed to look at them
>>
>>14827792
well it is a novelty item after all
>>
>>14824055
Mercedes Mechanic here... it gets old... quick.

After a while, you start wishing there wasn't shit in the corner of your eye constantly there.
>>
I think the Aztek had a little red speedo projected onto the lower windshield. The G6 and G6 Coupes had them in the mid 2000s. Cadillac had one even earlier than that, a nice bright green, and they were available many years before.
Just basic things like speedo, and engine errors, but they're pretty nice. I had imagined they'd be standard equipment on all cars by now. Not sure if I'd want navigation directly in my line of sight though.
>>
>>14827331
>implying I dont want KITT 2.0 in my electric delorean
>>
>>14828190
yeah on the windshield it looks a bit weird
maybe I'll do a design mock up for fun
>>
>>14828225
Apparently you could get one on a Cutlass Supreme in 1988. They've been around a very, very long time.
>>
I'd love overlay HUDs as long as they used available info from GPS/Internet/Etc to tell me where black people lived so I could avoid those streets.
>>
>>14826854
mercedes is doing that currenty with a hud for warning/ghost follow/ and ect.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.