[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

repair or new?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 2016-04-09 23.41.07.jpg (674KB, 958x718px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-09 23.41.07.jpg
674KB, 958x718px
My car is kill.
Repairs would cost 6800€ (insurance would pay it), but the guy at the workshop offered to buy it for 7200€.

As you can see it's a Peugeot 207, now 6 years old with 67k km. It's got 120 hp and is my first car, my dad leased it and then we bought it last year for 5k €.

So do I just have it repaired and hope they will do a good enough job so that it will live another 5 years? Or do I take the 7,2k and buy a new (used) car?
I found some other used Peugeots with less mileage for 5-7k, but idk anything about used cars. I could get a dodge caliber for the same price, or all kinds of shitboxes but idk.

What would you do/buy in my situation?
>>
>>14812203
Fix it to running condition and drive it until the wheels fall off
>>
>>14812211
Can't just drive anything that runs on the road in yurop.
>>
>>14812211
Will it be as reliable? Idk how good you can fix these things but I imagine that a crash will put a lot of stress and wear on all parts
>>
>>14812203
This sounds like a dubious deal. When you say "guy at the workshop" do you mean him personally offering to buy it, or is it your insurance company offering a lump sum of £7200 and they keep your car and send it off to auction?
>>
File: laughing_frog.jpg (4MB, 10000x5860px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_frog.jpg
4MB, 10000x5860px
>>
File: 1437329594892.gif (3MB, 322x178px) Image search: [Google]
1437329594892.gif
3MB, 322x178px
>>14812203
>first car
>leased
>>
>>14812497
Nice reading comprehension, his dad leased it at first, then bought it for 5k and gave it to OP.
>>
>>14812203
Wtf did you hit op?
>>
>>14812447
Not sure exactly, for some reason they called my dad and talked to him, but I think it's the official insurance lump sum.

>>14812968
My gf rear ended an Opel with a trailer hitch, going about 40 km/h. I wasn't in the car so can only go by what she told me.
Anyway, the tow thing was at a height where it punched right into the grill and destroyed pretty much everything there, dented the air filter (?) and probably fucked up a good deal of shit behind it. The motor did start again after the crash but the gears were stuck, and on the left sight the chassis is malformed so the door scratches on it when opening.

The other car stopped to let some dude cross the road and my gf must have seen it too late. But if they had not had a tow thingie it probably would have been just some fucked up plastic and dented bumpers. Oh well..
>>
>>14812483
If you look closely, you can see the whitish mark the trailer hitch punched into the filter, on the right side.

Do you guys think this can be repaired decently enough so that the car holds up for another 5 years?
>>
Air filter??? Do you mean the radiator?
>>
Take the 7200. Cars value is gonna plummet after its repaired, and it probably wont run the same.
>>
>>14815847
I would agree with this.
>>
>>14814742

>Letting your gf drive your car unsupervised

You learnt a valuable lesson here.
>>
>>14815806
Yea I guess. Looked like a filter to me, I'm a car noob.

>>14815847
Yea probably what I'm going to do

>>14815949
Meh, she uses it more than I do and this was her first accident. I guess she learned a lesson and is paying more attention now, but I can't blame her because I drive brain-afk all the time.
Accidents happen and the 500 she has to pay for the insurance claim to come through is lesson enough.

I'm glad nobody got hurt
>>
>>14815968
Does she let you PIITB?
>>
>>14815980
Yes
I'm not a fan tho
>>
>>14816019
lol
>>
>>14815949

just this night i literally woke up screaming from a nightmare: the police call me and say my car has been in an accident and my gf was driving it, I arrive at the police station and my car is just a lump of metal shit, my gf says "sorry", i scream...
>>
>>14816473
>i don't wake up
>>
>>14812203
saw your thread on /biz/
>>
>7200 Euros for a trashed 207

What the fuck, I bought my pristine 2008 with 60k miles for £2.3k in January
>>
>>14816503
Yeah I made it there first but then I wanted to hear /o/s opinion after someone told me about classic cars and told me buying new was stupid etc

>>14816513
Dunno, even on autoscout24 I find similar cars with half the mileage for 6k. So I'm making a good deal if I cash it in right?

Kinda tempted to buy an old Porsche now but it's not practical for me
>>
>>14816473
Why would you car be at the police station when it's totaled?
>>
>>14816623

because it was a dream
>>
>>14816513
>>14816604
I agree. It seemed from the beginning that the money is very high in this deal but to start with I just was thinking "jesus yurop" but now I wonder is there some kind of a premium package available for this car that OP may be unaware he has?
>>
Sell it, buy a Clio RS 197, or the prettier 200
>>
>>14817137
I think I have some sort of premium package, but it's nothing useful, just some chrome features on the exterior. The interior is all standard, I got a/c but that's it. Maybe 2 additional speakers in the door but not sure if that's special or not.

We got the car in 2010 and leased it very cheap because it was a showroom car (50 km mileage so technically a used car) and the dealer needed to fill quotas very badly so he dumped the price a lot. Then last year we bought out the lease for 5k €.

It's a good car and I've been very happy but it's not special outside of personal emotional value.

>>14817872
Gonna check those out but not a fan of Renault desu

I like american cars but idk how easy replacement parts are to find and they just eat too much gas.

Right now it looks like I'm going to finance a hyundai i20 trend with the 7k as a down payment, with good amount of extras, 100hp, some turbo thingy and 500km mileage for 13k €, because I could get it tomorrow or tuesday... but I feel like I could get a better deal.

I'm just afraid to buy used and afraid of mileage. (Almost) new car will have 5 years warranty and when it's paid off in 4 years it will still be worth some, while a used car now will probably be worth nothing in 4 years?

Idk
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.