[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much downforce does tilting your sunroof up create?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0457[1].jpg (61KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0457[1].jpg
61KB, 1024x768px
How much downforce does tilting your sunroof up create?
>>
try google champ
sage
>>
>>14807535
If it's open it will increase the drag coefficient by approximately 11%. The typical sportscar has a frontal area of 1.67 m^2 and a drag coefficient of 0.32. The density of air is 1.2 kg/m3.

If you want to find force (F) we'll have to multiply half times the drag coefficient (C) times the fluid density (ρ) [in this case, air] times the reference area (A) times our velocity^2. Now let's suppose we open the sun roof at 56 and 112 kmh. That would take the drag coefficient from 0.31 to 0.42 just by opening the sunoof.

To calculate the drag force with the sunroof closed, you take the drag coefficient times the density of air^2 times the velocity of the car (we will assume 15 m/s) times the frontal area of the car, and divide your result in half.

So you end up with a closed drag force calculation of 72.14 newtons. You use the same method to find it opened, except you increase the drag force accordingly with what we found earlier, so instead of 0.32 we use 0.41. This will result in an increase of down force to 92.43 newtons.

To calculate the difference we simply subtract the increased result from the original, and what we find is that on a typical sportscar, opening the sunroof will add approximately 20 newtons of downforce.
>>
>>14807649
Sick bruh. You sound smart.
>>
>>14807654
I'm really not, I barely passed high school and I just failed English 101 on my first semester of college. I just love physics and I'm assburger about this stuff.
>>
>>14807649
theres a bunch of things wrong in this, but I cbb working it out because im supposed to be studying instead of being on /o/
>>
>>14807649
>>14807711

for starters you need to know the sunroof angle nigga
>>
F1 levels of downforce
>>
the better question is,

how is your mileage affected?
>>
'bout tree fiddy
>>
Arnt there little thingys you can put on your roof for downforce?
>>
>>14807972
probably correct
>>
It creates a suction that will suck the lice right out of your hair.
>>
>>14808599
Vortex generators are mainly to reduce drag and turbulence, not create downforce.
>>
>>14807737
no. you need to know how much of the increased drag is turned into downforce.
my guess: about 1 over threefiddy, or in normal words nothing.
in fact it could create a low pressure vortex that is dragged over the rear windshield, creating an upforce.
>>
>>14807711
>theres a bunch of things wrong in this

Mech E here. He seems to have done it as right as he could with what little information he was provided.
>>
>>14808653
How the fuck did you know what I was talking about you magic man?
>>
File: fig_newtons.jpg (26KB, 250x198px) Image search: [Google]
fig_newtons.jpg
26KB, 250x198px
>>14807649
thats a lot of newtons
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.