[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dropped Loads, Poorly Secured Loads, Near Misses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

Dad had several good stories, I have some of my own. Let's talk about things that we've seen while driving or being driven that pertain to loads that were not well secured or planned, dropped loads, things you've almost hit laying in the roadway, or things you have hit and what happened.
Hoping some of our truckerfags have some good stories.
I'll start.

>Work
>Driving company owned E250, like a 2000-something
>Thing has 240K miles on it burns oil like hell, all four tires are different types and 2 of them are dry rot as fuck, suspension is horribly in need of replacement, steering has about 6 inch deadzone, starter sometimes grinds when you start it, thing has been literally run out of oil, like the shop added like 7 quarts or something retarded and it would drop oil pressure.
>Be driving down interstate at like 75, going to a plant, thing feels like it's about to shake apart
>still a good fucking van
>Be behind a semi
>Before I could react, 4 foot long steel pole that they use for those cable-based guardrail things in the center median
>no time to react, start a reflex-based swerve but stop myself before the steering wheel leaves the 6 inch dead zone
>Welp we're gonna fuckin' hit it.
>Hits.
>fuck.
>Continue driving, watch dash closely for dropped oil pressure, rising coolant temperature, warning lights, anything
>Van sounds no different
>Keep driving cause I don't give a fuck about this van
>This is a 3 lane interstate I was in the middle
>About 1/4 mile later see DOT crew in left lane with a truck pulling a flatbed trailer doing like 55
>on the trailer there's like 3 guys standing, about 70 of those tall cones, and a pile of like 300 of these metal bars, just like tossed into a pile, not stacked or anything
I kek
>>
>>14805381
I have watched people drop trailers that weren't totally hooked up in our yard so many damn times. Always takes a couple forklifts to pick the front of the trailer up and then they have to back the tractor under it again. It's loud as hell when a loaded trailer hits the ground.

One of our drivers left a bay open maybe a year ago and a whole pallet of 12 packs went flying out of the truck when he made a turn. Busted soda all over the intersection.

Last weekend I witnessed a trailer with a giant speed boat being towed by a pickup truck lose its two right wheels while making a turn. Dude dragged the trailer and boat for a few feet and finally stopped and was blocking 3 lanes of traffic. Drove past a couple hours later and he dug some nice grooves into the asphalt.
>>
>>14805414
And this one might be my favorite
>years ago, driving muh Explorer.
>at red light, shitty old pickup in front of me and new Benz in back
>light turns green and as shitty pickup takes off, the spare tire falls out from under the bed and lands on the ground
>I just straddle it because Explorer and drive right over, and of course new Mercedes is tailgating me
>Mercedes hits the thing dead center at like 30mph and pickup's spare tire gets jammed under his front bumper to the point where it probably fucked his radiator too
>proceeds to push it another 100ft before finally pulling over
That was fun.
>>
>>14805381
I drop loads all the time.
>>
>>14805414
I was hoping you'd get in here, surely you and Tfag have some good ones. I'm not a truckerfag myself but I spend a lot of time around trucks.
>I have watched people drop trailers that weren't totally hooked up
I can only imagine. My company is an asphalt manufacturer and our main office has an asphalt plant on the same campus, as well as our main shop, (I work in IT but used to do tons of field work) but we have tons of dump trucks coming in to drop off RAP and aggregate all the time and other dump trucks hauling asphalt to jobs, not to mention liquid tankers for the liquid AC for the plant and all the box trailers for deliveries and drag drivers hauling job equipment for the shop. We got it all. I can only imagine how loud dropping a pin must be. I've heard of it but never seen it. It must be fucking loud because we have like full length dump trailers extend their beds all the way in the air to dump agg and they'll let them down pretty fast and drive forward and their tailgates will slam (but not latch, they always keep swinging) and my god, I'm used to it but every once in a while it'll catch me off guard and I'll turn my head. It's got that whole fucking empty trailer to reverberate through too so it's pretty damn loud.
>>
Also another story
>Live in Cincinnati OH
>Local trash company for this area is called Rumpke.
>We have others like Bavarian Waste, Republic, CSI, Best Way..Whatever. Rumpke is the giant though. They own most of the dumps and have the greatest share of the trash market around here
>But their drivers fucking suck at tarping and checking their loads.
>Be driving in middle lane passing rollback dumpster truck from Rumpke who is in the right lane
>Kicks up a fucking half of a brick and it chips my windshield from the outside layer but spiderwebs it from the inside layer thus making it totally unfixable
>Drive around like this for a while till it spreads into the "wiper zone" (it hit in the lower driver side by the VIN plate where the wiper doesn't hit so it didn't bother me too much)
>Crack eventually spreads and I have to replace the windshield
>Don't really care it was like 250 bucks and they did it right but it was just bullshit I had to wade through
>Next week after that two days in a row I am pelted with shit from their rollback trucks, no breaks but it's worse than any of the gravel trucks we have driving around by where our office is. And that's bad because gravel trucks are constantly spraying shit everywhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14805452
I'm sure I will remember more too.

One that came to mind was when I first started at Pepsi. The I-95 exit right by the plant, there was one of those big 48' or 53' trailers that kinda look like dump trucks but the walls are a full 13'6" tall and don't tip. Well either way one of those fucker overloaded with scrap metal took the off ramp too quick and tipped the thing onto the road that I-95 exits onto. The scrap metal spilled across all 6+ lanes and closed the road for hours.

I also saw a garbage truck on fire and it had 10' flames coming out of the top.
>>
Another one, this time from dad told as if I were him
>Be like college aged
>Be driving in I6 Nova with cousin
>Hear weird whooshing sound almost like rain or rushing water
>Clear outside not a cloud in the sky
>Huh.
>Get past a few cars
>Hillbilly with pickup and untarped pile of sand in bed
>You can visibly watch the pile getting smaller
>Literally had car sandblasted
>>
>land air express
>gets shut down by DOT for allowing drivers to transport HM withotu HM endorsement
>some dumb land air driver comes over to our shop to ask what placards he need for a load
>inform him that the back of his truck is leaking fluid
>see ERT crew there half an hour later
>>
Another dad story
>Be driving or in car
>Traffic is absolutely crawling
>What the fuck it's like mid day this should not be happening
>Something obviously not cool
>Look ahead
>Cars with brake lights all over the place, swerving all over the road
>Like multiple of them, all over
>Get up there to see what's going on
>Redneck in a single cab pickup with two others on bench seat piled with old furniture and shit pulling a trailer doing like 30 in a 55
>On back of trailer is a floor-standing full length mirror that rotates about the center axis for angle
>It's reflecting the sun into different driver's eyes as they hit bumps and the mirror shifts
>Driver of pickup entirely unaware of chaos behind them
>>
Dad story
>See La-Z-Boy recliner in middle of interstate
>Come back next day
>Thing was in a million pieces, splinters everywhere
>Stuffing everywhere
>Semi must have hit it

Another other Dad story (he seriously has tons of these)
>Be in truck with cousin
>Be behind other pickup
>Tailgate is down
>There is a box of like 2000 roofing nails, like a contractor pack, on his tailgate. Open. Sitting on the edge.
>Going over bumps on gloriously horrid Ohio roads
>Can see the future, so get around him fast
>Check news later that night
>"12 cars with tire damage due to roofing nails spilled all over I-75 this evening"
>>
>>14805551
Kek
>>
Various things I've seen
>Be driving into work
>5 lane wide highway in this one spot
>2nd from left lane and into 3rd from left lane there is a clawfoot tub, upside down, laying across these lanes
>Literally like a 20's style steel clawfoot fucking tub laying in the middle of the interstate

>See two black guys in Chevy Venture with mattress on roof
>Driver and passenger are holding the mattress with their hands
>No ratchet straps

>See same thing another day but replace blacks with mexicans, Chevy Venture with Jeep Grand Cherokee, and mattress with "several sheets of plywood, uncut" and add two more mexicans in the back seats.

>See a guy with a fridge in his Toyota Tundra
>Literally being held around the bottom with a single one of those cheapo orange HF ratchet straps

>Be driving with girlfriend
>Scrapping is big around here
>Constantly have these stupid fucking rednecks driving around on trash night with their pickups with a huge cage thing that's about as high as a 53' high-cube trailer. On a 2500 Chevy or whatever.
>Just annoying cause they take all the interesting shit out of the trash like bikes and lawnmowers and shit, you can't fucking do anything anymore.
>They always look like fucking shitshows
>See one of their custom cages sitting on the side of the road, no debris just the cage.

>Be driving another time
>Scrapper again with a custom cage
>Guy has like 8 washing machines in the back of a Ranger, stacked on top of each other

>Or that time I almost hit a single 10' section of PVC pipe laying across like 3 lanes on the interstate.
>>
I've had pipes and small board fly of truck and vans several times...most recently it was 16ft quarter round in a short bed pick up. He had just rested a pile of it on the mirror
>>
Two more dad stories and I'm almost out of content..that I can think of right now...again told as if I were him

>Dad has to transport a mattress
>Ties it to the top of his wagon with nylon pull string (like they use for cable running)
>Thing snaps and mattress flies off back and onto road
>Just fucking leave it there that day
>Dad comes back later and grabs it to return the mattress because of damages

>Driving with dad and brothers
>Working on refinishing cabinets
>Need a single section of plywood for something
>Go up to HomeQuarters in dad's old Pontiac Sunbird or some shit
>Pick up single plywood sheet
>Fuck we didn't bring a car that can carry this.
>Out comes the nylon pull string again
>Tie it to top of shitbox with a single rope
>Okay we'll go the backroad and keep speed low and we should be fine, we only have a few miles to go.
>Traffic starts to build up, dad waves them on but they will not go around
>People start tailgating
>Dad pressured into driving faster
>Slight gust of wind grabs plywood
>Lifts front of plywood, nylon pull string acts as a blade and slices the plywood in half
>Flies back and lands flat on the windshield of truck behind us
>Pull over to exchange insurance info
>Driver of pickup reaches around, pulls plywood fragment off of window, tosses aside, and keeps driving
>okay

>Uncle is driving behind semi
>70's or 80's 450SEL Benz they had just semi-restored (this is back in the late 80's I think)
>Traffic slightly heavy
>14 foot extension ladder in roadway
>Laying diagonal-ish
>Semi clips corner
>Extension ladder goes like 60 feet into the air
>Can see it coming right down on windshield
>Punch gas and swerve
>Misses ladder by just a few inches
>God only knows what happened to whoever was behind.
>"Cause of death: Falling extension ladder"
>"He fell off an extension ladder and died?"
>"No, an extension ladder literally fell from the sky and impaled him."
kek
>>
why do some trucks put on their flashers in traffic randomly while still driving
>>
>>14805381
> Driving through country roads
> Encounter a tractor
> With a trailer
> In the trailer is a goddamn washing machine
> Just sat there
> No straps
> No securement
> Just sat on the trailer
> Steady 20MPH
> Stuck behind him for a mile or two waiting for a good window to pass
>>
>Driving around drinking pepsi and smoking cigars with friend
>Tacoma infront of me pulling a 20ft boat
>Trailer comes loose and goes off to the right
>Hitch pops up slamming into the tailgate
>Tacoma slams on brakes, sweet dent drives itself across tailgate and then up the side of his truck.

We pulled over and went over to help and realized he hadnt locked the ball or put on safety chains. So we turned around, i called police to report the guy for erratic driving and probably being drunk.
>>
>Be driving
>Behind tractor trailer. Fairly close but not tailgating
>Remains of another truck's tire in lane
>Swerve but too close to completely miss
>Breaks corner turn signal (car has three for some reason so not too big a loss)
>Rips out wheel well liner but don't notice this til a day later
>See said liner lying beside road a few days later, take it home and put it back on
>>
>driving big stake bed pickup
>have some cheapo trash cans stacked together
>empty for the most part
>technically only attached the lower most trash can to the stake bed
and that was the day I learned the wind will lift those trash cans 40 ft into the air at 70 mph
>watching them explode all over the highway
pull over the next exit and thank jeebus no one was behind me
>>
>Be tow truck driver
>Police call me to impound a pickup+trailer
>Show up and figure out what the fuck
>Trailer is a flatbed with no rails
>Loaded to the tits with boxes of shingles
>No tiedowns
>Driver is drunk off his ass
>I do not carry enough ratchet straps for this bullshit
>End up tying down hundreds of pounds worth of shingles with shit rope thats good to 100 pounds
>Go very, very slow on my way home

Weeeee
>>
>>14805838
I've only seen it as a "thank you" when someone flashes their hi beams on to let them know it's safe to change lanes
>>
>>14805986
kek the mental image of several trash cans flying out of the top of a stake truck is amusing to me.
>>
once on a county road near my house a truck full of chickens overturned

hundreds of dead chickens all over the road and who knows how many took off into the woods
>>
>>14806748
That's what I used for the OP image, hard to tell but I just did a google for "things spilled on highway" and that one with chickens came up and I thought it was amusing.
Like man could you imagine being that guy who wrecked and spilled like 2000 chickens all over the interstate?
"Yeah hey dispatch this is bob, we have a uh, situation"
"What now?"
"Yeah so those 2000 chickens you had me delivering to that place? Yeah I wrecked and long story short there's about 1500 of them walking around the interstate. I reckon like 500 got squished during the wreck."
"Fuck."
"Yeah I already called the state troopers but I'm not sure what they're going to do because they've already spread out in an area like four times the size of a football field. Really I don't think there's much we can do. There's just so many chickens. You don't think about it when you're loading them up but there's just a hopeless amount of chickens here. I think I'm just gonna go get lunch or something and let 5-0 deal with this."

Like how would you even go about explaining that to 911 or the police
>>
>>14806788

When pigs and cows flip, a very large majority of the time is spent waiting on a veterinary to finish their work with a gun and haul off all the corpses.
>>
File: 1448514263023.jpg (106KB, 358x477px) Image search: [Google]
1448514263023.jpg
106KB, 358x477px
>>14806788
>About 500 got squished
I don't know why I find that part so funny
>>
>>14805503
> Get dash cam
> Sue the trash company

Insecure loads like that are a violation.
>>
I was a driver in the San Francisco Bay area for a number of years....

Ladders. you motherfuckers who don't tie them down. I drove over one at about 6:00 AM on 880 and all I could do was stab it to get the nose up as I rolled over it.

I was coming across the Richmond bridge on night, going into Richmond. I saw something up ahead, so I changed lanes tot eh left...it
was a pair of huge forklift forks laying on their side- they were about 10" wide.

Seen a few accidents- I've seen two people just spin out of control for no reason- maybe they fell asleep, but their cars just looped off the freeway.

Came close to rear-ending and being rear-ended a bunch of times. I used to own a VW Corrado with a VR-6. I was going about 90 southbound on 101 in Marin and traffic came to a dead stop and I juuust got stopped- I stopped about 18" from the guy in front of me.

Had a pidgeon fly into the side of my truck and just explode in a grey cloud of feathers.

Oh, I was driving a 24' bobtail truck for an industrial battery company, and was coming north on 101 by Gilroy, and had to really mash the brakes, and the huge forklift battery that I had on the back slid forward and hit the front wall of the bed hard..I pulled over and threw a couple more straps on it.

Oh, I was coming down 101 at the north end of Santa Rosa and a gravel truck had just dumped 6" of gravel over both lanes. I was driving a Dodge van with a 440, so I mashed the throttle and ploughed through.
>>
File: 1435607513180.gif (3MB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
1435607513180.gif
3MB, 300x196px
>>14807138
>Had a pidgeon fly into the side of my truck and just explode in a grey cloud of feathers.
>>
>>14805759
good thread op
>>
>>14805838
Because they're moving significantly slower than other traffic because hill.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.