[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's it like to drive a model t/pre war car in general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: ford-model-t_2693.jpg (37KB, 553x375px) Image search: [Google]
ford-model-t_2693.jpg
37KB, 553x375px
Anyone have actual experience?
>>
its awful like any old car
>>
The model T has a different kind of transmission with planetary gears. Completely different way of driving it. Other cars have normal manual transmissions but aren't syncromeshed and require double clutching.
>>
>>14804431
>has never driven a Model T
The pedal assembly is not like a normal car, you have to advance the ignition timing yourself with a lever on the steering column. It's a completely different and unique experience from driving a car made since 1930+.
>>
So is it enjoyable? How difficult would it be for someone that knows
how to drive stick and double clutch?
>>
>>14804443
>advance the ignition timing
Please explain
>>
>>14804788
It's a lever on the wheel that acts as a sort of a throttle.

Bear in mind that I haven't driven a T in the last 10 years, so my memory is a tad hazy.
>>
>>14804804
I saw a mention of this control when I was reading an online how to I'm also curious about what it's actually like to do in real life
>>
>>14804834
It's essentially a manually-operated vacuum advance for the equivalent of a distributor.
>>
>>14804804
>>14804893
some also have a lever to adjust the air fuel ratio
>>
>>14804893
Forgot to add:

It's like operating a directional indicator that controls the timing; by modern standards, it's extremely unintuitive, but it can be a lot of fun.
>>
>>14804351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OjQlnE6zBg
>>
File: 2016-04-07 12.41.11.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-07 12.41.11.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I recently got a job repairing antique engines and my coworker drives his model T daily. I would hope he enjoys it.
>>
>>14805145
That's awesome, does it have an electric starter? Or crank?
>>
>>14805427
He uses a crank to start it.
>>
>>14804351
Didn't these things hit like 60mph? Sounds sketchy as fuck
>>
>>14805620
72km/h

Still sketchy on wooden wheels
>>
File: IMG-20151026-WA0007.jpg (31KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151026-WA0007.jpg
31KB, 500x281px
>>14804351
Own a model A
It's ok, slow as fuck and needs loads of care to run
>>
>>14804351
I just realized that said coworker >>14805145 drives that exact model in OP. His leather interior isn't as intact but it looks just like that. Brass radiator and all.
>>
>>14804788
>Obviously hasn't driven anything with a distributor either.
>>
>>14805734
Damn that's just a stock photo haha but cool

>>14805720
I think the As look better tbqh, but yeah I guess I figured that's the deal with them

Id be scared of breaking my arm lol
>>
Only one I've driven was a Model A. It was slow but fun as hell. Once it running and you've set the spark advance where intends to be its just like driving any manual car, at least in terms of controls. Kind of reminded me of my Series Iia Land Rover a little bit. My only problem was that sine this particular car was a standard Tudor, the seats are non-adjustable and me being 6'3" made it a tight fit. Put those seats on some tracks like a Deluxe and it would have been perfect.
>>
>>14806346
The secret to not breaking your arm is to use the left one. I have seen the dude start it and it seems pretty fool proof as long as you do that. The car will start pretty easily and even in case of a backfire it just pushes your hand away. Worst case scenario is it really throws your hand and you bust a knuckle on the tire or something.
>>
>>14806346
>>14808339
It's also how you hold the crank. Don't put your thumb over the crank, that way if it backfires, the crank is yanked out of your hand.

>learned how to hand crank a Farmall model A.
It usually started on the first or second pull.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.