[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you fell for the manual meme >tfw its pretty fun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: 1449367343115.png (249KB, 394x382px) Image search: [Google]
1449367343115.png
249KB, 394x382px
>tfw you fell for the manual meme
>tfw its pretty fun
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Me too. I'm never going back to autotragic.
>>
>>14803669
It's not a meme. It's a world standard.
>>
>>14803861
It's only standard in yurop.
>>
Nothing but benefits

>Have in depth feel of how my car responds to different actions
>Pay much more attention on the road
>So much smoother
>Engine braking
>More fun
>>
It's not really a meme, cars have automatics, cars have manuels, each has benefits and everyone should know both
>>
>>14803865
>any other place on the planet matters
>>
>drive manual for a year, long enough for the novelty to wear off
>go back to automatic
>not exactly responsive or exciting, but still feel comfy about not having to shift, even on a slushbox
I see merits in both.
>>
>>14803879
Your problem is that you expect /o/ to be reasonable.
>>
File: 1458580472073.jpg (542KB, 1800x1341px) Image search: [Google]
1458580472073.jpg
542KB, 1800x1341px
>>14803669

People say the only reason automatics are so big in America is because America is a big country.

Is this more or less true?
>>
>>14803886
>drive manual for a year, long enough for the novelty to wear off
>rent an automatic
>HOLY FUCK SHIFT ALREADY WHAT ARE YOU DOING JESUS CHRIST THIS IS SO FUCKING BORING FUCK

It's nice for the first 5 minutes of a drive when I'm dead tired in the morning but that's about it.
>>
>>14803956
I think it had something to do with the wealth boom after wwii. Hey, they make a transmission that shifts itself, I'll try that out. Then their kids dont learn, and their kids kids don't learn, and you end up where we are today.
>>
>>14803669
>tfw you fell for the manual meme
>tfw its pretty fun

I literally bought a manuel transmission car two years ago despite never driving one before. Probably the best car purchase I've ever made.
>>
File: IMPLYING.jpg (252KB, 1077x709px) Image search: [Google]
IMPLYING.jpg
252KB, 1077x709px
>>14803991
This. The effects of GIs returning home after WWII impacted a lot of our car culture. It's a major cause for highways, suburban sprawl, and trailer parks oddly enough (manufactured homes was one of the only ways to keep up with the large influx of prospective homeowners)
>>
>>14803964
Eh, there's really only been two automatic transmissions that really disappointed me. One was on my dad's Ram 3500. Fucking slow as balls and super indecisive. Another was on my C5 Corvette that utterly numbed out the experience. A Corvette should not feel so numb that my 19 year old sister could drive it without worries.
>>
>>14803991
I would also add we have no negative repercussions for not learning manual. It doesn't effect your drivers license, no special tax for auto vs manual.
>>
File: hailsatan.jpg (121KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hailsatan.jpg
121KB, 1600x1200px
Jesus christ you kids are such fucking amateurs I've owned five manuel cars and I just barely survived my 20's.

Automatics are great for commuting, and even old ass 1,2,3,D, select shifts give you a degree of control, but when you hit those 35mph offramps pushing 70 you're going to miss the feedback/response/enginebraking/gearratios/blahblahblah you get from a manual.

Also manual transmission are way lighter than their automatic counterparts in old shitboxes have any of you actually held an old torque converter? They make a great boat anchor.
>>
>>14803956
Pretty much. The automatic's main advantages are on the open road, where you're not doing much shifting, and in heavy traffic, so you don't wear out your left knee riding the clutch. Both things America has in spades.
>>
>fell for the "sports cars are fun" meme
>get a smile on my face everytime I go driving

damn you /o/
>>
>>14803882
Right even Mexico uses a Manuel.
>>
The only thing I miss about the manual was the downshifts. Also drag racing is more fun although auto launches and shifts are better.
>>
>>14803669
>be me
>fall for manual meme
>spend 5 weeks learning how to drive
>spent entire life driving autos
>go out with friend last night
>cruising in 5th on our favorite hoon lane
>downshift to 4th (no rev match because idek where to start)
>gun it
>barely top 70
>have the most fun I've ever had on that road without racing

I dunno if it's the tranny or the car, but this thing feel weightless.
It's like flexing my finger is all the effort I need to get this baby up, going, and turning.
Like, holy hell.
>>
Only in america you people make a big deal out of manual. It's not fucking hard, why is there always a thread about manual, are you that insecure about yourself? Do you feel superior? You haven't accomplished anything so stop trying to make this something.

inb4 i fell for the bait
>>
>>14807650
>it's another "if I can't feel good you can't feel good" reply from a yuropoor
>>
I owned 1 autotragic my whole life.
never
EVER
AGAIN!
again, I have never owned a car with less than 150k miles either.
>>
>>14803956
>>14804243
>Open road
>Cruising at steady speed

There is no shifting involved in either autotragic or manual.. so this definitely isn't a reason
>>
>>14803690
Do you live in a landfill?
>>
>>14804161
We should bring that shit to the states. If you can't drive a stick, you should be shamed and cockslapped until you get straight.
>>
>>14807712
Well I'm not a yorupoor you big faggot, I am an american.
>>
>>14804243
thats retarded, you're saying that an area of advantage for automatic is for when you wouldnt be doing much shifting in a standard? are you thinking before you post?
>>
>Americans that pass their test in an automatic are allowed to drive manual cars
>automatics are cheap and plentiful
This is why you have shit drivers.
>>
>>14807905
Yes
>>
>>14810854
We have shit drivers because there's no alternative. We're way too spread out for public transportation to work, so the DMV has to be a revolving door.
>>
Why is automatic so widespread in 'murica?
>>
>>14810864
These posts
>>14803991
>>14804014
>>14804161
>>
>>14810875

Oh, didn't know about the drivers license shit, if you get your drivers license in germany on an automatic car you are not allowed to drive stick.
>>
>>14810864
Because silent generation and baby boomers enabled it after world war II.

Since there's no requirement to learn standard you could essentially go through life without needing to.

So slowly over time people just stop learning to drive standard or teach their children or friends how.
>>
>>14810860
Not at all.
Licensing and testing doesn't improve overall driving abilities.
>>
>>14810917
This is the most retarded speculation.
The vast majority of native born white Americans can drive manual transmissions.
Funny thing is, many European immigrants can't drive manual transmissions, because they were too poor to afford a car in Europe.
Second gen asians usually don't learn unless they're boy racers.
Spics don't learn unless they're boy racers,
And Niggers don't learn period because where da white women at.
>>
File: 921.png (8KB, 653x168px) Image search: [Google]
921.png
8KB, 653x168px
>>14810860
>>14810937
Yes, it does. It forces you to pay attention and git gud to pass. Good testing also keeps shitters off the roads, preventing accidents and fatalities.
I'm sure Americans would kill a lot less people if their licensing system was like ours;
>You’re required to pass a theory test and this certificate lasts for two years during which time you have to take a practical test. Once this is passed you’re issued with a full driving licence.
>You have to pay for each test, if you fail you must re-book and pay the fee again. Theory: £23 ($32) Practical: £62 ($87)
>The pass rate is currently 47%
>>
>>14810976
>Funny thing is, many European immigrants can't drive manual transmissions, because they were too poor to afford a car in Europe.
What?
If they have their license, they can drive a manual.
>>
>>14810982
Why don't you advocate taking Germany's testing methods instead? They're more strict.
Oh wait, they've got more road fatalities than you do.
You can't force people to care.
Testing doesn't work, we all know this, we all went through school.
Regulation cannot change people.
The only way to improve the individual is to change your culture.
>>
>>14810976
>__________ don't learn unless they're boy racers.
>>
>>14810996
Europoor immigrants don't typically come to America with a license. Because they're too poor to drive in Europe.
>>
>>14811014
Lots of people get their license anyway, even if they're too poor to drive.
>>
>>14811012
It's true you stupid cuck,
Mexican culture holds no value in anything but the bare minimum.
Asian culture holds no value in anything but what will advance their family.
Nigger culture holds no value in anything but booty and bling.
>>
>>14811009
>testing doesn't work
>clearly does
Germany has more road fatalities than the UK because they have a looser highway code. You can't even go faster than 70mph on any road in the UK. This is irrelevant though since they still have a far lower fatality rate than the USA, which shows that testing does work.
>>
>>14803964
>shift already
Automatics only shift late if you are slamming the gas.
>>
>>14803956
No, it's because Automatic was viewed as a luxury addition a few decades ago. Now it"s a standard because people are lazy and used to Automatic.
>>
when there is the option to get a manual in the us, do you have to pay more?
>>
>>14811039
>Implying highway code means anything
Are you 12?
People drive what they feel is safe, not what's posted.
There are roads here that everyone drives 10 under on, and there are roads here that everyone drives 25 over on.
You really have a terrible understanding of human nature and the cultural influence on how people behave.
>>
>>14807764

That's the problem. Get an autotragic that wasn't maintained properly and you get the worst of it. They can last a hell of a long time if taken care of though. Barring any inherent flaws like bad solenoids or something.
>>
>>14811083
This. If you aren't driving ~85 on the average highway you aren't keeping pace with traffic.
>>
>>14811072
no its usually less from what Ive seen.
>>
>>14810976

>majority native born white americans can drive stick

Citation? I call complete bullshit until you show some fucking proof on that.
>>
>>14811098
America is the greatest nation on earth, that should be proof enough.
>>
>>14811072
>We should bring that shit to the states. If you can't drive a stick, you should be shamed and c

It still usually cheaper. Aftermarket though...
>>
>>14811098
He's lying. Manual knowledge is so low that it can be used as passive antitheft. Jackers won't be able to get away in a car they literally can't drive.
>>
>>14811119
>>14811098
https://www.google.com/insights/consumersurveys/view?survey=5zzzeryf5vbuk

People like to cite the sales rate of automatics in the US as the ability rate.
The majority of Americans can
Sorry if that doesn't fit your Europoor naritive.
Funfact, the more conservative you are the more likely you are to be able to drive a manual here.
>>
>>14811271
>more than 80% replied to this survey only on a Wednesday
>>
>>14803956
American manufacturers had finished developing automatics before and during WW2. A couple of American tanks used the Hydramatic which was huge in regards to testing. Add in the fact that America became incredibly wealthy after WW2 and automatics were bound to take off
>>
>>14807441
I loved my GSR
I should have died in that car with what I did in it
>>
>>14811039
I would say that in the UK nobody knows anything about the Highway Code.
There is no lane discipline here as motorway driving isn't a part of our test.
I've heard that autobahn driving is great as people there know what lane they're supposed to be in.
>>
File: landstraße.jpg (26KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
landstraße.jpg
26KB, 480x270px
>>14811009
>Oh wait, they've got more road fatalities than you do.
Because we can go 62mph on every non urban road and as fast as possible on highways. (If its not restricted)

picture related: typical 62mph road
>>
>>14811490
>There is no lane discipline here as motorway driving isn't a part of our test.
try driving outside of europe mate.
>>
>>14811490
>There is no lane discipline here
Dont you have a law that forced you to only use the left lane (or right in your case ) for overtaking?
>>
>>14810976
Make america great again anon
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.