[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subaru Forester discussion/question/advice thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: '98ForesterL.jpg (93KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
'98ForesterL.jpg
93KB, 800x598px
I love how the early foresters styling. I love how a subi sounds when its tastfully modified. I like the idea of having AWD. The extra storage space in the forester over the impreza seems desirable.

Im not a fan of the engine reliability, nor the stock power in non turbo models. The fuel economy is a bit underwhelming as well.

Based on the above, would I be crazy to buy a 98 forester L (which ive read has a notoriously bad engine) to daily until the engine blows? Id love to use a 98 as a build platform for a faster daily.

Id be interested to hear opinions on whats the max milage I should consider an engine swap?
>>
>>14798988
Current owner of a 98 L here, try to find one that's not too heavily beat up, keep an eye on your fluids cause it start drinking heavily as it ages, and you'll be fine with one.

The engine thing is gonna be a gamble, I got lucky and mine never had the headgasket issue everyone dreads with these cars (according to the two previous owners) and had it's engine rebuilt before I got her, so I can probably get to 300K easily if I take care of it. (I got it with 181K already on it)
>>
>>14798988
>Burns out.
>Head gasket defect makes engine become kill.

Otherwise not too bad.

Some people have said you can prevent the head gaskets from failing by cleaning ground cables/straps??
>>
>>14799493
>Burns OIL*
>>
>>14799493
>Some people have said you can prevent the head gaskets from failing by cleaning ground cables/straps??
that makes no fucking sense.
OP, they are decent cars, don't be afraid of a head gasket job. You can easily do it at home, and the car will last forever after that.
>>
>>14799508
>You can easily do it at home

Have fun pulling the engine.
>>
>>14799508
Always love it how DIYfags believe we all have engine lifts in our garages (IF we have garages)

>Inb4 "But you can do it with the engine still inside!"
>>
>>14799092
I have my eye on one that has 190k on it, engine was rebuilt 29k miles ago. Any model-specific red flags I should check for?
>>
>>14799508
If I get one Ill probably just swap it when/if the gaskets go out, instead of just fixing it and dreading every mile until the engine isnt worth fixing anymore.
>>
>>14799550
I'll be pulling it anyway when I swap it.
>>
>>14799576

It's cute when poorfags try to work on their own cars.

Gotta have money to play.
>>
>>14799576
Make friends and rent their hoist in exchange for a favor when theyre not using it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.