[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What causes resistance on a shifter? Why is the shifter on my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

What causes resistance on a shifter? Why is the shifter on my new car sometimes smooth as fuck, but sometimes feel like dragging a stick through a bucket of gravel?
>>
>>14784222
temperature of the transmission fluid. cold fluid = janky shifting
>>
>>14784222
Because they still use plastic shifter ball bushings for el cheapo reasons.
>>
>>14784222
drive shaft is spinning to fast / slow for where your rpm is

It's the same reason you have to wait a few secs after a sudden stop to put car in reverse, or else you will grind reverse gear even if you have the clutch all the way down
>>
>>14784230

This. Switched from OEM fluiod to Motul Gear 300 and when its below 40 the syncros are janky as hell.
>>
>>14784230
Never knew about that.
Are manufacturers using very different fluids, because I always felt like BMW were alot "harder" to shift than VW or MB and I'm not really sure if you only get used to it after you drive a bit or the BMW/ZF shifter becomes softer?
>>
>>14784410
yeah they all use different formulations

most tuner types will recommend you change to an aftermarket fluid from stock no matter what you drive
>>
>>14784427
Are aftermarket fluids "only" better in the sense that they don't feel harder in the beginning?
>>
>>14784454
they claim all sorts of things but yes the good ones have smooth cold shifts
>>
On that note, how come sometimes when I'm a little above idle in gear I can lightly pull it into neutral without the clutch but other times it absolutely refuses to move anywhere?
>>
>>14784475
decoupling the transmission without the clitch while the engine is at revs and the car is at speed will fuck your clutch if you dont do it at exactly the right time so a lot of cars will set the synchros to not let you do it

rebuild your trans with a racing trans and itll let you do whatever you want
>>
>>14784525
But why is it only sometimes?
>>
>>14784662
The stress on your drivetrain prevents you from taking it out of gear.
When your foot is off the gas, your wheels are turning your engine and there is no stress on the drivetrain.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.