[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 00M0M_2oGqCzXuLeM_600x450.jpg (34KB, 459x450px) Image search: [Google]
00M0M_2oGqCzXuLeM_600x450.jpg
34KB, 459x450px
I saw this 2001 mustang on craigslist for $995. This is going to be my first car. Automatic Transmission, 3.8L Engine V6,and 182378 Miles. I called the place and the guy said that the only thing wrong with it is that the air (AC) compressor does not work, and that it does need it's maintenance and alignment. I asked if the motor and transmission were fine, he said that they were and that the car turns on and runs great. I;m just a little iffy by the "maintenance" part. What the hell would that involve? just a tune up I'm guessing? anyways I'm going to make my dad tomorrow so we can have a look at it. Here is some pictures of the car. WHat do you guys think?
>>
File: 01515_e84lyQmZguL_600x450.jpg (30KB, 371x450px) Image search: [Google]
01515_e84lyQmZguL_600x450.jpg
30KB, 371x450px
>>
File: 00R0R_5nFXdGFLqgy_50x50c.jpg (1KB, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
00R0R_5nFXdGFLqgy_50x50c.jpg
1KB, 50x50px
>>
File: 00n0n_f0zzg2uA0Ec_600x450.jpg (50KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00n0n_f0zzg2uA0Ec_600x450.jpg
50KB, 600x450px
>>
>>14759091
Are you a woman? Your choice in cars is making you look like it.
>>
>>14759091
>I;m just a little iffy by the "maintenance" part. What the hell would that involve?
He's covering his ass by saying that because the thing has probably never had belts, hoses, or any other wear or consumable item replaced. That way he can deny any culpability when the thing blows a hose or slings a belt and explodes into its constituent pieces before you can get it stopped. Yes, people DO try to come back at sellers weeks/months after a sale with bullshit damage claims.
>>
>>14759116
Fuck off

OP Mustangs are incredibly cheap and easy to fix and maintain. If it runs and drives for that price then go for it.
>>
>>14759129
This car is a piece of shit though. I guarantee it's been fucked with just enough to make sure he can sell it before it grenades on OP.
>>
>>14759125
We do have auto mechanic students at my school, so if I buy it I can ask what the car needs, wnd I get a discount since I am a student
>>
If it's too good to be true....
>>
>>14759091
You are literally retarded if you buy this car.
>>
>>14759145
really? :\
>>
>2001
>nearly 200k miles
>automatic
>"needs maintenance"
>$994.99
>>
>>14759155
One thing I do see in the pics that's a problem waiting to happen is the repair end on the battery cable in the underhood pic. Those things are prone to bad connections and no starts resulting from that. Get a proper battery cable for it as soon as you can afford it.
>>
OP, do you just want a commuter? Look elsewhere. Do you want a mustang? Buy a well taken care of v8 model and not this piece of garbage.
>>
>>14759091
>3800 frustbang
Stuff a a big old turbo on it and blow it up
>>
>>14759091
Maintainance means timing belt and water pump, every time.

Basically the car is being sold so cheap that they can't be bothered doing those, so you're getting the car cheap but you need to factor in the cost of the job.

You'd be looking at around $2-300 in parts diy or $700+ for a shop to do it. You can buy it and drive it, it may last 10 days or 2 years without the job being done but when the belt goes, so does the engine.
>>
>$1000 mustang
>>
>>14759311
3.8 Essex engines have timing chains that are considered "lifetime" use
>>
>>14759293
Not a 3800
>>
>>14759319
Even still that chain needs to be replaced with so many miles. I'm not a mustang fan I didn't know they didn't have a belt, but there's no chain that doesn't stretch or guides that don't get worn.
>>
>>14759339
Be that as it may, timing chains are not considered "maintenance".
>>
>>14759091
if you buy it it could be good but consider that you will need tires probably, and an oil change/sparkplug/injectors/trans fluid
a 950$ could realistically cost you 1500-2000 if you need parts.
but you get a rwd v6 in working order. enough to have some fun.
although if all you need is a cheap a to b car something with better gas mileage may be useful.
a car that cheap comes with strings attached
>>
>>14759369
You do know you need to replace them right? Just not as often.
>>
>>14759339
This is correct. No chain lasts "the life of an engine", chains snap all the time.
>>
>>14759418
>>14759425
It is still not "maintenance". It is repair.
>>
>>14759516
No.

It's called preventative maintainance. You're replacing the chain to prevent a huge repair bill.
>>
>>14759678
>huge repair bill
>OHC non-interference engine

like what, needing to put a new chain on it anyway?

this isn't your geo metro that needs a belt every 60k
>>
Just posting in here to say OP don't do it

>190k miles
>$995
>"needs maintenance"
>>
>>14759678
If it's maintenance then you should have no problem showing the Ford recommended replacement interval for a timing chain on the 3.8L V6.
>>
>>14759091
>does need it's maintenance
that means anything they could get away with not doing is probably overdue. If you HAVE to get it be prepared to spend more money on repairs
>>
>>14759091
dude... dont buy a v6 autotragic mustang. Literally everyone who asks about your car is going to be disappointed when you tell them its not a racecar.
>>
>>14759145
Did that to my piece of shit before i sold it. Ran lucas and other additives, greased ther fuck out of all belts so it ran quietly, and disabled the cel.
>>
>>14759091
AC compressors aren't cheap, fluid flushes add up, you're probably gonna end up replacing all the brake pads, the serpentine belt, and any old hoses under the hood. If you're okay with all of that, go for it, but be sure you have enough money to do that stuff, or else you'll have a $995 paperweight.
>>
>>14759091
Well shit, for that price theres gotta be something seriously wrong with it. Take your boyfriend or take it to a mechanic to check it out.
>>
>>14759091
>2001 mustang
>182k miles
>automatic
>V6

at $995 I'd say its not that bad of a deal, but the "maintenance and alignment" are red flags that the car could seriously be fucked up. Considering its your first car you probably know fuck all about cars. Mustangs aren't anything special and when you're looking at a used car don't get too attached to it before buying because chances are you'll be looking at another one within a week.

If you've got your heart set on a mustang try to get a 99-04 Mustang GT.
They can be found pretty cheap these days 3-9k depending on condition, options, etc. Also if you're planning to drive these things hard get the manual transmission. Having driven both the manual is a lot more fun.

Good luck OP
>>
>>14759091
get it and swap a 351w in it

only way you wont be a faggot
>>
OP here my dad looked at it and said its also gonna need a set of tires... we talked the guy down to 750 should we still do it?
>>
File: 1krlUEO.jpg (44KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1krlUEO.jpg
44KB, 480x480px
no, get an old civic hatch off craigslist for the same price.

it will be more reliable, (probably) faster than a shitbox v6 autotragic muhstang, and way more aesthetic
>>
>>14763316
No. You're going down a path that will lead you to "sunken cost" fallacy.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.