[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1986 corvette won't start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I have a 4-speed 1986 corvette and it won't start. I press the clutch and turn the key like normally and The dash lights dim but the starter doesn't start. I think the safety switch is bad but I can't find it or even any wires to bypass the safety switch. Please help!
>>
Sounds like an engine problem might not be getting enough starter oil.
>>
>>14758560
Check your battery terminals. Could be corroded or loose. Or the battery may be dead.
>>
No it can't be the battery it's brand new as well as the terminals. I think I just need some way to bypass pushing in the clutch to start it. Do any of y'all know how I do that?
>>
>>14758560
>>14758640

Starter solenoid or starter.
Give the starter tap with a hammer and try again.
Its on the bottom rear left side of the engine by the bell housing, when facing the car.

Unless the battery is just too low to trigger it, in which case yer a dunce for not chekin the actual voltage with a meter first.
>>
>>14758676
Have your mom start the car while your tapping the starter
>>
>>14758745

How about I tap your mom after I get her started.
>>
I think OP got eaten by his car.
>>
REMOVE CROSSFIRE
>>
File: 1447731710103.jpg (101KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1447731710103.jpg
101KB, 500x334px
Time to post chicks working on cars
>>
The lights dimming proves the starter is getting juice. For some reason it doesn't have the power to turn over engine. Check battery voltage and connection at starter.

No lights dimming would point to other problems.
>>
Check your wire harness. Had an IROC with this issue. 80s wiring is shit and gives out. Test your current.
>>
I had a Pontiac Firebird that had a similar issue, turns out the switch on the key ignition itself was the problem, had to take apart the steering column to fix it.
>>
So glad I decided on fox
>>
>>14759436
>Roadlkill will never be this good again
>>
>>14764543
>implying a Fox wouldn't be capable of having a similar issue

OP has either a bad battery or bad connection.
>>
>>14758560
>I think the safety switch is bad but I can't find it or even any wires to bypass the safety switch.

Sounds like a typical 1980's era AC-Delco problem.
>>
>>14758560

Get rid of that Jap crap and buy a real man's car
>>
>>14758560
>chevrolet wont start
what a fucking surprise
>>
>>14764590
It's fucking Chevy wire rot and you fucking know it
>>
>>14758560
lights dimming does not prove the starter is getting ENOUGH juice. Buy a multimeter, they're pretty cheap.

Standard starter doesn't turn process is something like this
1. test battery voltage, anywhere near 12.5 and you should get some cranking, If your low, then either charge battery or jumper it to another vehicle and continue testing
2. quick check terminals on battery, starter, and the big ground wire to chassis/ tranny or wherever it grounds, for tightness/ corrosion. clean anything with corrosion and see if that does it
3. You can bypass safety switch by connecting solenoid terminal (smaller, probably 12 gauge wire) with the main starter terminal (the one with the big wire going straight from the battery), with a piece of wire or a screw driver. It should crank.

3 - a. If it does and it still doesn't start with key, then you have a problem in the circuit - safety switch, ignition switch, loose connection, etc. The circuit is pretty simple, but kind of involved to check out. check the connection to solenoid... just go ahead and clean it at this point
3 - b. if you verify charge on the battery and cross terminals, hear a click but then nothing, your starter motor is probably bad, get another starter
3 - c if no click/no crank - the solenoid is bad, you could just replace solenoid for pretty cheap on some starters, on some you need to replace the whole starter
>>
>>14767036
oh, and if you cross the terminals, have the key in "run" position and make sure car is not in gear, as you could run yourself over.
- tapping starter with hammer legitimate thing to try too
>>
>>14758640
The clutch safety switch should be a simple two wire normally open switch. Unplug connector and jump the two prongs with a paper clip to eliminate this as a possibility.
>>
File: vettestarterwiring.gif (82KB, 1000x1360px) Image search: [Google]
vettestarterwiring.gif
82KB, 1000x1360px
86 vette most likely had passkey security. Does the key have a resistor pellet on it? If so, look on the dash for the security light and see what it is doing. The vats system back then disabled the starter with a relay. Here's the starting circuit.
>>
>>14764618
What?
>>
>>14767278
If it is the security system (which is notorious for crapping out all the goddamn time) then he could probably just get a cheapass security override for 20 bucks online. The 80's models had the VATS, were connected to the ECM and prevented fuel injection or starter operation.

Since he says he gets dimmed lights, I'm not sure if it's the VATS or not.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.