[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions Thread: Transmission Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1366345799168.jpg (204KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1366345799168.jpg
204KB, 480x640px
Hey guys, post your dumbass questions here.

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 i Touring. The manual isn't crazy specific on which fluid to purchase. Is Idemitsu a good brand? Says it's OEM-equivlant (which don't am I right?) and I'm not interested in paying for Redline D4 at 16/USD a QT.

>mfw looking for fucking proper transmission fluid
>>
>>14757225
Go to some Mazda forums for that kinda stuff.
>>
so how do you drive a car?
>>
Just the thread I need.

I have a 1990 Chevy 1500 pickup with a bog standard 350 engine and a 4L60 transmission. Not a 4L60E, not the 700r4. It's actually a heavy half ton, so it also has a lot of "heavy-duty" parts.

A year and a half ago the transmission shit the bed, and it's been sitting ever since. I was told a valve was stuck by a transmission shop.

If I wanted to swap the transmission for a manual, what manual would I need?

Might it be cheaper (swapping to a manual) than removing the valve body and having someone tear it down and repair it? What are the chances that the valve that's "stuck" isn't in the valve body but elsewhere in the transmission? I don't really trust the shop I had look at it, but the shop I do trust is too far to drive to in the current condition the truck is in.

I need to get my truck back up and running this year because I need to haul some firewood this fall and I need it as a backup for bad weather in the winter.
>>
>>14758897

iirc, removing the valve body in the 4l60 can be done from underneath, just 10-ish bolts or so, would be pretty easy to do yourself, bring it to someone to have a look at it. They're pretty simple inside so I can't imagine they'd charge too much for that.
>>
>>14757225
If your 3 is anything like my '05 3s - and assuming it's a manual trans - the fluid is specified for the life of the trans. We both should have the G35 trans. However at 170,000 miles I was getting some notchiness going into third, and replaced the fluid with Redline MT-90. Works great, will probably never have to change it again.
>>
File: 1458878888947.jpg (244KB, 995x749px) Image search: [Google]
1458878888947.jpg
244KB, 995x749px
I need to replace drive belts in my car. How can I find the right belt numbers, part numbers, etc? A great many google searches have failed me, and the car's manual doesn't touch on it at all. I have an EK Civic with engine D16Y4 with MPFI.
>>
>>14758754
open door, sit in the drivers seat, put on your seat belt, adjust the mirrors so you can see things around you, put the key into the ignition (not the door key, the other one) turn the key all the way until the car starts and then let go of the key.

Now here is where things get hardcore. If you have an automatic transmission put your right foot on the brake pedal and push it down, press the shift release button on the shifter and put it in either D or R depending on which was you want to go then take your right foot off the brake pedal and move it onto the accelerator and commence driving. Upon arriving at your destination find an appropriate place to park your car then slowly drive into that area with your foot on the brake pedal and bring your car to a full stop. Then place the shifter into P and then turn the key in the ignition the opposite direction you turned it to start it. Remove the key from the ignition. The car should now be completely off. Undo your seatbelt and get out of your car and then lock the doors so black/brown people wont steal your car, radio, possessions, etc.

REMEMBER: Crashing your automobile and can lead to serious injury and even death. Do not crash your automobile.
>>
>>14760860
I've had the transmission pan off a couple times (to change the fluid), and I know the valve body is right there. Should be pretty easy to get out.

You think the "stuck valve" really could be in the valve body? My brother in law is pretty good with engines and transmissions, so I might ask him to take a look at it. Otherwise I'll take it to the transmission shop I trust.
>>
>>14761657
Yeah, I figured this , but how do you make the car not go straight. You know when it goes forward, but also slightly in another direction? I just keep hitting things and I don't know why.
>>
Is there any difference besides price between bolts I can get at an automotive parts store vs a hardware store?
>>
what's better for a daily auto commuter

1995 civic or 1995 corolla

i'm looking for reliability
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.