[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bargaining and buying techniques

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: RE4_Merchant_Concept.png (539KB, 567x800px) Image search: [Google]
RE4_Merchant_Concept.png
539KB, 567x800px
hey guys, potential new car buyer here.

never bought a car on my own before, anybody have suggestions tips or tricks for how to successfully haggle with a new or used car merchant?

I wan to earn the massive nose on my face and jew them hard.

so how do I pinch the pennies till they scream?

what traps should I watch for from the auto salesman?

what normally innocuous behavior should I avoid on the lot?
>>
>>14756397
I'm not a pro but don't be afraid to walk away if they won't negotiate. Also they usually ask how much you wanna pay a month. Don't fall for that. The total price of the car is what you wanna focus on. And any extras they wanna throw in (floor mats, oil changes shit like that)
>>
Just don't fall in love and always be ready willing and able to walk away. Another car will come along.
>>
Text the guy 3 times asking what their lowest price is, offer $2500 less than their asking price, and offer trades of substantially lesser value to feel out how low they'll go
>>
>>14756414
>>14756417
>be ready to walk away.
noted.

I have a list of 26 possible models that fit my criteria ordered by manufacturer. If I carry it around in the open on a clip-board will this imply my willingness to walk away? will it irritate the dealer and raise the prices?

>>14756414
>default to walking away of they refuse to negotiate
noted

>overall price trumps monthly
indeed, I am able to easily cover a 20% down payment on all of the models I am interested in, should I mention that at the beginning or the end of the bargaining?

>>14756432
...could you clarify that? I seem to be missing the contexts for that phrase...
>>
>>14756397
Try to get pre-approved by a bank, credit union, or other credit institution, and be write down what kind of APR you'll be looking at. Even if you plan on financing on the lot, having a written approval from a bank or other entity goes a long way to getting yourself a better deal.

I would also try to get someone to come with you, because it's easy for a salesman to convince one person that a car is great (even if it's not), but two people? Not so much. Best case scenario, try to bring along a mechanic friend or someone who knows a lot about working on cars, but even if you bring someone who doesn't know a lot along, they'll still be beneficial because it's an extra pair of eyes and ears that might catch something you didn't.

Nitpick every little fucking thing. Does the battery look a little old? Are the tires looking just a bit too bald? Is there a spot on the upholstery? Is the paint chipped? Is the backseat cramped? Everything. And be sure to say this stuff aloud and within earshot of the salesman.

>>14756440
I think the clipboard idea is great! If any salesman try to muscle you, or convince you that "We don't haggle", simply cross them off your list with a big red marker, offer them a handshake, say "Thank you for your time" and head for the door. There are plenty of dealers out there, and one of them will give you the deal you want.

I wouldn't mention any money down at all until they ask for it. Remember, they'll try to convince you to go for a lower monthly payment, but what you're concerned about is the total amount.
>>
>>14756440
to be honest the clipboard thing doesn't put a dealer off.
you do still look like someone who genuinely wants to buy a car than just another dreamer
>>
File: Untitled.png (61KB, 848x594px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
61KB, 848x594px
>>14756609
>Even if you plan on financing on the lot, having a written approval from a bank or other entity goes a long way to getting yourself a better deal.
this will be good practice for home buying...will do.

>I would also try to get someone to come with you
was planning to bring my mother, she's just recently bought a car and is unlikely to fall for some of the other tricks(and back in the day she used to sell used Corvets)

>Nitpick every little fucking thing...
I had intended to do this.
>...And be sure to say this stuff aloud and within earshot of the salesman.
but not this, now I will.

>I think the clipboard idea is great!
excellent. I shall acquire a distinctively red marker for this then, and perhaps a less battered clip-board.

pic related is the thing I'll be putting on the board, any other slots I should add? space for notes? comments targeted to worry a salesperson?

>speak not of money down till the final stage barganing.
noted

>>14756620
good, last time I bought a car people kept assuming someone my age wasn't actually serious about spending money...I've grown a goatee and 5 more inches in height since then, but not being taken seriously really bugs the hell out of me
>>
>>14756654
>people kept assuming someone my age wasn't actually serious about spending money...I've grown a goatee and 5 more inches in height since then, but not being taken seriously really bugs the hell out of me

That's actually a really shit sales tactic, bro. If you talk down and act like someone younger than you isn't capable/willing/informed/or financially sound you trigger their insecurities which in turn makes them more likely to try to impress the other person by throwing more money at it/not haggle them down. What they want is to maximize their sale price, never forget that.
>>
>>14756701
I ended up buying my mothers car, she then took my money and used that as a down payment for a much nicer car.

my 06 corolla's still kicking, it's just not big enough for me anymore...by the by, about what should I sell that for? 06 corolla S with a 5-speed manual, needs a re-paint and a new windscreen, but is otherwise in tip-top shape?

no captcha, a norse long-boat is NOT A KAYAK
>>
>>14756701
crafty fucking jews
>>
>>14756654
Sounds like a pretty solid plan. Another thing I should add is ask if you can get the car inspected by your personal mechanic within a few days of purchase, and if they find a problem ask could you get a refund. This is more for gauging the dealer's reaction more than anything else... If they're totally fine with it and don't hesitate, then even if you get a lemon (it does happen) they'll be more likely to help you out. If they act all resistant and wish-washy, you'll definitely want to tread carefully.

And most importantly, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. It's all a matter of he said/she said until it's written down. Especially if you're getting add-ons like free tires and maintenance.

>was planning to bring my mother, she's just recently bought a car and is unlikely to fall for some of the other tricks(and back in the day she used to sell used Corvets)

I actually brought my mom along as well, and she spotted someone that saved me an extra $700 that was hidden away in taxes, so yeah, it's a good idea.

>>14756701
What this man said. Seriously, even the nicest of car places want to make the most money out of you; it's not out of maliciousness, it's just what they're trained to do. Just be respectful, but firm, and ready to walk out if they start their BS and I'm sure you'll do fine.
>>
so, MSRP represents how much markup usually? or does that value(rate of markup) vary widely vehicle to vehicle?
>>
>>14756397
WELCOME!

WHATDYA BUYING?
WHATDYA SELLING?

HEHEHE THANK YOU!
>>
When I bought my new car, I actually wound up getting it cheaper than the TrueCar price. I bought it like November 28th or 29th. I didn't do any hard negotiating tactics or anything like that. I think they were just trying to meet a quota and I got lucky. They were super aggressive. They even gave me a very generous offer on my piece of shit trade, sight unseen. So maybe try shopping towards the end of the month?

Also, if you've never bought a car before, watch out for the extras. When you've struck a final price, they'll shake your hand then send you to a back room to fill out some paperwork, then the guy who's there is actually a second salesman. He'll try to sell you an extended warranty as well as gap insurance. This could easily add $2-3k to the car. Note that if for whatever reason you did want either of these, you can negotiate on those prices too. Just turn it down, and he'll keep lowering and lowering the prices. Also note, it's completely unnecessary to buy these things. Even if you wanted them, you could buy it elsewhere for cheaper.
>>
>>14758011
GARNETS, I'M SELLING GARNETS TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM ALL!!!!
>>
>>14756397
I like to punch people that don't give me what I am looking for. When I pull back my arm it sounds like a shotgun being cocked.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.