[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new car shopping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: car shopping.jpg (237KB, 643x681px) Image search: [Google]
car shopping.jpg
237KB, 643x681px
so I have this list...tell me how shitty the shitty cars on it are,

why do they suck?

are there any particularly dumb options?
why are they dumb?

I'm gathering data and I hope you guys can be good at telling me whats shit(ier) and what isn't...
people have told me good things about the Toyota RAV4, the Chevy Equinox, the Nissan Rogue, and the engine performance of the Mazdas on the list...

I've not sat in any of these yet, this is part of the winnowing process, so get ready to shit on my taste in vehicles...

READY. SET. GO!
>>
>>14744489
Mazda 3 and outback are ok
the rest are shameful. You should probably leave.
>>
>>14744489
>buying new

What do you actually want in a car? How much can you spend? Cash or financing? How much down? Do you have a wife or demon spawn to keep happy?
>>
>>14744501
>the rest are shameful
Why?

>You should probably leave.
Again, why?
I figure, this being 4chan(or indeed simply the internet), that there are plenty of people willing to talk shit about things like this...
>>
>>14744518

>buying used

How's it feel to be poor and a cuck?
>>
>>14744519
Quality post motherfucker.
>>
>>14744518
>what I want
more space than my corolla has, enough for 3 fat friends, 2 medium-large dogs and several duffel bags(sometimes all at once). and a full length walking staff must easily fit inside the vehicle in some safe configuration

>spend
less than 30K

>financing
I have reasonably good credit(746-752 across the board)

>wife/kids
nope, my social club has been a source for good clean friends-with-benefits arrangements, and I have no desire to change that.

I like the look of Hatchback vehicles.
I like vehicles that are efficient and green in colour.
towing capability is nice, but by no means a requirement.
Highway fuel economy is important as I commute 70 miles a day(more or less) for work
I like manual transmissions, my current vehicle is a manual and I don't adapt to change well

>>14744563
now now, buying used has it's benefits

>>14744579
is it?
>>
>>14744588
Prius v.
>>
>>14744489
Get a green HRV manual
>>
>>14744604
I would like to not get a hybrid vehicle, perhaps it is an irrational prejudice, perhaps not.

>>14744608
any particular reason you'd recommend that one?
personal experiences?
>>
>>14744608
>hrv
>space for people and cargo at once
Pick one.
>>
>>14744618
Why do you not want a hybrid? It meets all your requirements perfectly.
>>
>>14744489
>mazda 3
.>vw GTI
>subaru outback

Those are your top 3. Personally I would go with GTI.
>>
>>14744618
>>14744624
Dude it's as big as the first gen CRV it isn't bad. Plus a Honda manual is reliable as fuck and fun compared to an auto trans.

Is there other cars in the list that has a green option and manual? I don't know the other cars too well since I'm a hondafag
>>
>>14744630
like I said, irrational, it's not prone to reasoning with.

like my acuphobia, or my propensity for foot injuries, it's something I have to just deal with.

that and I have heard people claim that the batteries fail after the first half-decade and that they are less suited to long distance cruising(that 70 mile commute is at 80 mph most of the way)

have those issues been rectified since I heard them?

>>14744660
why the GTI?
>>
>>14744669
>Honda manual is reliable as fuck and fun compared to an auto trans.

Agreed. Honda makes some damn good manual transmissions. Silky smooth shifting and light grabby clutches. The transmission makes up for the lack of power imo.
>>
>>14744677
>why the GTI
Because it's objectively the fastest and most fun car on your list. Plus it meets the requirements you listed.
>>
>>14744669
>I don't know the other cars too well
several do have manual transmission options.

I cannot speak for honda Manuals, my toyota manual is also enjoyable(if more than ready for some repairs at 180K miles) still I'll put a note down regarding honda manuals

>>14744690
>lack of power imo.
uh oh...
is this a usual tendency for hondas?

>>14744697
oh, I see.
speed wasn't a requirement, but I can appreciate fun to drive. all noted.
>>
>>14744677
It's a Toyota. It'll last forever. My relatives have a prius from 05 and they just replaced the battery. That's 11 years. You're not going have this car that long.
>>
>>14744719
>You're not going have this car that long.
it's my intention to have this car longer if possible.
my current car is an 06, and I wouldn't be here if I didn't need something bigger.
>>
>>14744714
But do the other cars that come in manual have a green colored option though?

>underpowered
The CRV feels very under powered but the HRV shouldn't be as bad since it's lighter.
>>
>>14744734
>shouldn't be as bad since it's lighter.
I'll assume from this they have identical power-plants?

my mother bought a CR-V just recently. it seems to output power well, though that could be the wierd transmission
>(is anyone else here unnerved by a transmission that doesn't perceptibly shift?)
>>
>>14744734
>But do the other cars that come in manual have a green colored option though?
a few do IIRC, however I forgot to add that as a field on my spreadsheet...
>>
>>14744732
Ok so even if you had to replace the battery, it's no different cost-wise than having to replace the transmission on a normal car.
>>
>>14744745
If you don't think the CRV is underpowered the HRV is fine. It's only underpowered for people who drive like aggressive assholes.
>>
>>14744761
except that this would be in addition to a transmission, not instead of a transmission.

how are these batteries for maintenance?
charge rates?
do I need a charging port at my home?

cargo volume is listed as 34 cubic feet...no idea if that includes folding down seats
and the price starts out very high....

...and I seem to be finding excuses where I shouldn't. ON THE LIST IT GOES.

>>14744785
>It's only underpowered for people who drive like aggressive assholes.
I sometimes drive like an aggressive asshole, but it usually depends on the day I've been having...
>>
>>14744800
>he lets his feelings affect his driving
SHIGGY DIGGY op
>>
>>14744800
Go used if money is an issue. Normal hybrids don't need to be plugged in. 34 is definitely with the seats up.
>>
>>14744785
Hrv is a shitty lifted fit. And if you want awd you have to get the shitty cvt. Hondas are garbage these days.
>>
>>14744563
what is more cuck than losing 11% of your """""investment""""" as soon as you drive away from the dealer?
>>
>>14744810
I also let the fact of my status as "on the clock" and "in a company vehicle" effect my driving as well, even after they pulled out the vehicle monitors for budgetary reasons.

I like to think that being able to admit to flaws is a good sign...even if I have had no success fixing them
>>
>>14744837
...as someone who contributes to literally cucking someone(fetishists are weird, but usually fun)...I can say that A LOT of things are...
>>
>>14744851
granted, but buying a good used car is not one of them
>>
>>14744837
Cars are nothing but a money sink.

So get the one you want how you want it.
>>
>>14744859
they are harder to finance though.

(credit reasons for me to finance when I could buy many of the options cash in hand)
>>
>>14744868
impossible with used cars amirite?
>>
>>14744899
I suspect not, however I'd bet reasonable money that it tends to be more difficult.
>>
>>14744899
Not impossible. It's just that 99.9% of the time there will be compromises. Mileage, small dings and dents, a different color, a tech package you do/don't want, etc.

Not to mention that you can get better credit rates on a brand new than a used most of the time.

There comes a point where you get into the cash market which is even more about happenstance and constant vigilance, not to mention the fact that some people simply can't amass sizeable sums of cash (through willpower or income or whatever).

A new car allows you to walk to the dealer and get the EXACT vehicle you want. Only 10% down, a reasonable monthly payment, and a warranty. Some people enjoy that.
>>
GENERAL QUESTION how is cargo-volume calculated/determined?

I feel like I should ask...
>>
>>14745038
Length x width x height
Did you not go to elementary school?
>>
>>14746012
sadly I'm an American so that means I'd have needed to finish HIGH school to know the basics...international anons laugh now...

for clarification purposes, I meant where are the dimensions drawn from? is the height to the top of the passenger seat, or the headliner?
is the width side to side on the floor panel? or does it account for widening of the space? etc.
>>
>>14746041
I'm american too, and I thought that was common knowledge.
Fuck, you're retarded.
>>
>>14746073
...I have an engineering degree...

they just started covering that shit late in my high-school. it turns out there are a lot of very stupid children in south Texas...

so can you define the dimensions beyond the basic description, or do I just assume
they derive from an estimate of the cargo area design plans??

and if that's the case tell me so I can cut a third off the numbers for a reasonable and more realistic estimate of cargo-volume
>>
>>14746143
Probably just measured in a 3d model
>>
I bought a '15 Golf, and haven't regretted it for a second. I don't recommend the GTI unless you want speed. The Golf has a much more refined interior and enjoys better fuel efficiency on the highway.

I've put 40,000 miles on mine since September '14 and haven't had a single issue.
>>
>>14746196
well, then I'm cutting a third off then...

>>14746439
and one vote for a Golf on the counting sheet...
>>
>>14746566
>>
File: Untitled.png (347KB, 961x1049px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
347KB, 961x1049px
>>14744714
>>14744734
went back and checked for manual transmissions

>>14744734
updated spreadsheet, now with manual transmission field and comment positivity...
>>
>>14749088
Outback is junk. Comes with a shitty CVT and it's bigger and heavier than the small crossovers.

I'd remove all nissans, and really anything else that comes with a cvt and no manual option.
>>
>>14749130
>I'd remove all nissans,
any specific reason?

>outback is junk
negative comment noted,

>anything that comes in CVT
reasoning?
what about a typical automatics with no manual options?
>>
>>14749088
The cars I've driven, and my thoughts:

Escape: Decent SUV. drives pretty well, decently tight steering but turn-in is predictably a bit shit because ride height and crossover suspension. Storage space is good, it's a decent crossover that's good for suburban/city driving.

Ford Focus: Depends on the trim. It's not a bad car, but in my experience, the seating (particularly the back seats) leaves something to be desired. I'm sure the ST is a blast to drive, but even the mid-level trims are decent.

Yaris: Small. Decent headroom, but the cabin itself is understandably small. I'm 6'4", and it got uncomfortable to drive in after a while. If you're not as tall as me, it might be a reasonable option.

Prius: Haven't driven one in ~5 years. Back then, the interior was funky & quirky (in a good way), but that's not particularly relevant anymore, as I'm sure the interior has changed since 2011. The drive itself was pretty boring/unremarkable.

RAV4/CR-V: They're decent. Nothing to write home about, and in my opinion, they're essentially the same as the Escape, but with slightly less capable AWD systems.

If you're looking at cars in the $25k range, why aren't you considering the Mustang and/or Camaro? Just wondering. The v6 for both is squarely in the $25k range, and I've even heard that the turbo Mustang has been sliding down to the $25-26k range as it's not selling all that well.
>>
>>14749239
>why aren't you considering the Mustang and/or Camaro?
because, attractive though I find those options what I mostly need is cargo space...fat friends, 2 dogs, a 6 foot walking staff, and 3-5 duffle bags full of BDSM gear(or other shit) plus a simplified action pack. etc., etc.,

my corolla is too small.
>>
File: 10300761_1459437386.905.jpg (64KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
10300761_1459437386.905.jpg
64KB, 600x400px
Help this loser buy his rustang slobra.

gofund(dot)me/donateGT500
>>
>>14744489
I'm a die hard GM fag, but avoid the Chevies at all costs. My dad has had two Sonics that are absolute shit (think Cavaliers of this decade). I'm 5'7" and still feel cramped in the back seat in terms of leg room. A spark is an economy version of the already economy Sonic. Trax is built upon the same platform as Sonic with more room, still shit quality ride and cheap interior. The older generation Equinoxes were absolutely painful to sit in. The new ones aren't bad though. Avoid the Juke, gf's mom has one and it's ugly as fuck and awkward (at least in passenger front). Souls are just retarded IMO and the rest I'm not sure about. But I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with a mazda, vw, or subaru
>>
>>14749537
>(think Cavaliers of this decade).
I don't understand the reference...

soul was off my list for other reasons

what major selling points for Mazda VW and subaru to you? your points might help me narrow things a bit.
>>
>>14749370
I'm starting an ATS-V fund.
>>
>>14749160
Nissans just have mediocre build quality. If money isn't an issue people would Toyota, honda or Mazda all day long. Nissan is only still around because they undercut the competition on price.

CVTs just sap any possibility of fun out of the car. Conventional autos are ok.
>>
>>14750467
gotcha so Nissan is the "CRAZY HASSAN" of the automotive market?

YOU WANT BUY USED CAMEL?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.