[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A connecting rod broke in my 2001 Subaru. It now needs a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: honda nr.jpg (80KB, 630x826px) Image search: [Google]
honda nr.jpg
80KB, 630x826px
A connecting rod broke in my 2001 Subaru. It now needs a new motor. Do I...

Have a shop replace the motor: $2500
I replace the motor: $1500 (It'll be my first)
Buy another beater: $2000
or
Do the bare minimum to get my project car back on the road: $1500

The project car is a 1972 Datsun and should only need new fuel and brake lines and a motor refresh to be road worthy. Although it needs extensive work to be fully restored.

Pretend like you're making this decision with almost no money.
>>
>>14715429
Project car mate, you know it's going to be awesome to be on the road.
>>
>>14715429
How much is your car worth:
1. Running
2. With a bad motor
That should guide you to the best choice
>>
>>14715479
True, but it's a 2 seater which isn't very practical.

>>14715486
I bought the car for $2800, and it was worth about $3200. With a replaced motor, it should bring about $3600. I have no idea what it's worth in it's current condition. $750 maybe?
>>
File: ah.jpg (66KB, 702x397px) Image search: [Google]
ah.jpg
66KB, 702x397px
>>14715429
Unless the 2001 everywhere else is in amazing perfect condition...

Buy another beater :(

Good luck
>>
If you're that poor, don't risk DDing the 50~ year old Datsun. Buy a junkyard motor, should literally be $400 or less. Get it from a car that was clearly junked because it was in a collision, so you know it was running at the time (ideally a rear or side impact). Then swap it.
>>
>>14715650
Interior is in perfect shape. Exterior, ah... it's a subbie, so rust is prevalent.

>>14715693
Yeah, I'm leaning toward not using the Datsun. I've put hundreds of hours into it, and I'd like to finish it the right way.

I've looked on eBay and a motor for the car ranges from a grand up. I haven't checked any junkyards yet, but at $400, I'd choose that option all day long, if it truly exists.
>>
>>14715429
what subaru.
just fix the subaru.
>>
>>14715790
Get yourself down to the junkyard lad. You get out of this what you put in to it. We believe in you.
>>
>>14715506
You won't get your money back on the motor.

> Isn't very practical
Fuck practical. Sell the dead car for scrap, use the money to get your project on the road. That's why you bought it and did all that work, wasn't it?
>>
File: Outback.jpg (132KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Outback.jpg
132KB, 800x500px
>>14715836
Legacy Outback. I needed a beater for Chicago winters and bought an awd, manual Subaru for peanuts. Not my favorite car I've owned, but it did the trick.

>>14715863
Definitely going to see what I can find. Hoping for the best.
>>
>>14715906
I've got a young daughter who rides in a car seat. Not practical means I can't pick her up and that's a deal breaker.
>>
>>14715925
Dude the ej in that car can easily be found floating around everywhere
>>
Swap junkyard engine.
>>
>>14715429
throw it in the gutter, go buy another
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.