[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carmax

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: CarMax.png (13KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
CarMax.png
13KB, 252x252px
Anybody ever deal with this company?

I have a very high mileage car with a number of minor issues that I'm going to be selling pretty soon here that may be tricky to sell on the private market. I've heard that Carmax will make an offer on any car. Anybody ever sold them a vehicle? What was your experience like?
>>
Family has used them for a while.
Prices are pretty low, but there's zero negotiation.
Got approved for a 370z being 21 with mediocre credit, so they'll work with you.

About a month after I got the car, the clutch was doing some funny shit, so I called them about it and they said bring it in.
They replaced the clutch slave cylinder and bled the whole system and I got it back in 3 days, meanwhile they stuck me in a sonata
Didn't spend a dime other than the fuel it took to get there and back.

so from my experience I say they are decent
>>
I sold a 12 year old Subaru there 2 years ago. They offered me $300 under KBB dealer trade. Good enough. In and out with a check in under 20 minutes.
>>
>>14713040
>$300 under KBB dealer trade.
Thanks. That's the info I was hoping people would share. Basically, my plan is to take the car to Carmax, make sure they're willing to buy it, and for how much. Then, I'm going to list the car for sale privately, and if anybody tries to lowball me, I'll just have that Carmax quote as my lowest possible number that I'll accept.
>>
>>14713075
I'm in a similar position and have been doing some research, anon. On the Carmax website is says once they inspect the car, they'll give you an offer for the car that's good for 7 days.
>>
>>14713075
>KBB dealer trade.

KBB Dealer trade in values are pretty low.

It was ~$370 for my last car, which had a private for $2000, and I sold for $1600.

Depending on your car I'd still try to sell it.
>>
They low ball the shit out of you. Good for a quick sale, but if you're looking for any sort of fair price from them, lol.

Example
>Good example of 2001 Durango SLT
>High mileage, but very good cosmetically and mechanically, all power options work, no crashes etc
>Roughly 2200 give or take on open market, roll in expecting maybe half or a little more at Carmax
>lel 150 dollars
>Goodbye.
>>
>>14716406
Is this what it's really like? I understand that they have to make a profit and it look for a buyer, but 150 dollars? I couldn't imagine anyone agreeing to that.
>>
Step bro used to work there. They fix all their fucked up cars cheaply and temporarily (like additives to stop oil leaks) so that it'll be fine for the test drive then break later.
>>
>>14712757
If you live in Texas, Texas Direct Auto will pay you more for your car and give slightly better deals from what I've seen
>>
>>14716514
They didn't want his car honestly
>>
Carmax also runs their own auctions for other dealers where they sell off everything that they don't want on their lots.

They make a ton of money on this back end stuff.
>>
>>14716406
I took a 04 Dakota with 220000 miles in 2010. Domestically very good but one long scratch in bed. Mechanically perfect.

The offered 2000 and I sold it on cl for 4500
>>
sucks
if you're not in a rush sell it private
>>
They will buy anything as long as its a car. Typically what happens is fort he worst of cars your looking at 200 bucks. Since they run their own whole sale auction they can actually make money off even off these cars since a buy here pay here will pay them for that car.
>>
>>14712757
>very high mileage
>a number of minor issues
You'll make the most money by parting it.
>>
>>14716962

It can take awhile for all the parts to sell esp if it's a common car.

Most people don't have the time or inclination to fuck around with parting out a car.
>>
>>14712757
The offered me 6 grand for a 2006 miata with 50k miles on it, I sold it on CL for 10. It really depends on what you're offering them
>>
>>14717094

Usually with newer cars (1-3 yrs old) they'll offer something a lot closer to market value since the cars will require less work to get them ready for resale.

They'll lowball on older stuff that will be going straight to their in-house dealer auctions.
>>
>>14717065
Are you in some kind of a hurry? That's not a good idea when selling a car.
>>
Most dealers that know a carmax is around will do the same thing as carmax, they want your business.
>>
>>14713040
>KBB dealer trade

KBB is a calculator.
Why do people fail to realize that their car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'll start acknowledging KBB when they start cutting people checks for their cars.
>>
>>14716547
Bullshit. If the car is older than 11 years or 130k miles it gets shipped directly to auction. Except in rare (profitable) conditions. They have a 04 s2000 and a couple acuras and lexii
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.