[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If land rovers are so unreliable, why are they so popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: fi06-04531.jpg (406KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
fi06-04531.jpg
406KB, 1024x681px
If land rovers are so unreliable, why are they so popular?
>>
>>14710788
Because they conquered the world and could get to places jeeps could never dream off.
>>
Basic utility land cruisers weren't sold in Europe so there wasn't a reliable alternative
And FYI weeb pickup trucks (Hilux, L200s etc) have replaced land rovers in most serious applications
>>
>>14710788
because they are only reliable when dipshits own/drive them
>>
>>14710977

Basically this.
>>
>>14710977
Well I mean all land rovers in general, from the utility models like the in the OP, and the luxury models. They're all really really bad, yet you have to get on a wait-list to buy a lot of them.
>>
land rovers are not unreliable, range rovers are
>>
Series and Defenders are just as reliable as any European, American or Japanese 4x4. And their agricultural design makes them easy to fix in the field. Sure they leak oil, but thats not a real problem.

Range Rovers have been a mess since mid 80's. Air suspension and all that fancy upmarket shit.
>>
>>14711230
>Sure they leak oil, but thats not a real problem.
It's not? What other common problems do they have aside from rust?
>>
>>14710788
They're also capable, and easily fixed.

Also, they beat hummvees off-road reliably. They used to race the two in Iraq and Afghanistan, until the soft-skinned vehicles got phased out.
The general consensus was the hummvee's track made it better on-road, but the Land Rover was better off it until it hit a soviet mine.
>>
>>14711779
>aluminium
>rust
>>
>>14711881
I used to lurk on defender forums and everyone complained about rust.
>>
>>14711893
local police has defenders over 20 years old that are regularly abused and still show no signs of rust
>>
>>14710788
Because the ones that are really popular aren't unreliable
>>
>>14710977
Now defenders are no longer being made I hope this changes
>>
>>14711881

aluminum rusts dingus
>>
File: 2017-Land-Rover-Defender-front.jpg (18KB, 640x379px) Image search: [Google]
2017-Land-Rover-Defender-front.jpg
18KB, 640x379px
>>14711989
Yet
>>
>>14712027
I don't understand the thought process behind this, the whole point of the defender is the iconic styling, like with the jeep wrangler.

That looks like a gayer version of the kia soul.
>>
>>14712027
>a large proportion of the agricultural market and the UN have been great customers the last 50 years...but you know what's better? The crossover fad!
>>
>>14711881
Their chassis rusts horribly.
>>
File: SNV30088.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SNV30088.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>14711881
the frame, floor and bulkhead are steel.
galvanic corrosion is also problem where alloy and steel are used in close proximity, around the window frames for example
>>
>>14710788
British delusion and deluded british advertising.
>>
Old series trucks conquered the world and are quite reliable.
>>
File: 4L_gBPtQnPL.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
4L_gBPtQnPL.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>14712027
that's hideous
>>
>>14711779
I've owned a series III for over 4 years. There's a small puddle of oil under the engine but not enough that it needs to be topped up more than normal.

I've read that the older 3 main bearing diesels can break the crank under heavy load and it was my biggest worry before buying, but I haven't had ever heard of that happening in real life.

On my truck, the gearbox synchros are almost worn out and I have to double clutch 3rd especially.

As for rust, the chassis, floor, firewall, doorhinges, etc are all steel. They rust in the british climate but not more than any other car. The body is all aluminium and exposed areas do corrode but the aluminium rust is not cancerous like on steel.
Undersealing the chassis and hinges will prevent most rust problems.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.