[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Struts on a P80 chassis Volvo.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 8

File: DSCN0182[1].jpg (458KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0182[1].jpg
458KB, 1600x1200px
Was gonna do a ghetto in the driveway walkthrough but my cam died.

anyways here's how I did it with only jack stands, a rented spring compressor, a 3/8 ratchet, a flat screwdriver, a hammer, 15mm deep socket, vise grips, penetrating oil and some box wrenches.

bust the top nut loose before you jack it up, mine was pretty stuck on there so I had to grab the slot on the top of the stud with a pair of vice grips.
>>
File: DSCN0183[1].jpg (473KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0183[1].jpg
473KB, 1600x1200px
Jack it up and support it on stands, even if you're only servicing one side. Otherwise you'll fight the sway bar. Remove the grommet from the strut and disconnect and move the abs sensor wire out of the way.
>>
File: DSCN0184[1].jpg (469KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0184[1].jpg
469KB, 1600x1200px
you can get a 16mm wrench between the boot and strut for the sway bar end link. be careful to push the boot back first so you don't tear it. remove the nut and place it back on the end link a few turns once detached.
>>
File: DSCN0185[1].jpg (463KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0185[1].jpg
463KB, 1600x1200px
I had to use the tire iron and pry between the bar and subframe to get the stud out without tearing up the threads.
>>
File: DSCN0187[1].jpg (476KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0187[1].jpg
476KB, 1600x1200px
these knuckle bolts can be a real bitch. loop the box end of one wrench through the open end of another to get some leverage. Reef on that fucker until it busts free.
>>
File: DSCN0188[1].jpg (458KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0188[1].jpg
458KB, 1600x1200px
remove the two bolts and place the nuts back on them. Put them somewhere safe. ( I found the space in the cowl where the fusebox is makes a good tray.

remove the 3 strut tower bolts and remove the strut assembly.
>>
File: DSCN0189[1].jpg (502KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0189[1].jpg
502KB, 1600x1200px
>>14699775
install the spring compressor on and crank it down until you can wiggle the spring between the seats before proceeding any further.

this is where my camera died. remove the top nut, remove the cross nut by placing a flat screwdriver on one of the tabs and beating on it with a hammer. sometimes a 9 or 10mm box end will fit over it, mine were too corroded.

remove the spring. save the bumstop washer and crossnut.

place the spring on the new strut, place the assembled bellows, bumpstop and washer over the strut shaft. install the new upper spring seat and crank the crossnut down as tight as you can. place the strut mount and top washer on it and crank the nut down until its fairly tight.

slowly release the spring compressor making sure the spring seats into the proper notches evenly.

installation is the reverse of removal. final torque on the top nut after wheels are on the ground.

no more sloppy bottoming suspension.
>>
File: lolvos.jpg (149KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lolvos.jpg
149KB, 640x480px
>>14699650

What did you put on? I have some koni yellows and ipd springs in my living room for mine I need to get to someday.
>>
This is pretty straight forward shit though OP? Anyways thanks for posting soem quality content. /o/ needs shit like this. Its a good break from all the shitposting that seems to be at an all time high. It makes me happy to see someone doing shit to their cars (im drawing a blank, but the word im looking for is when you do something right the first time, without running into any problems to prevent you from achieving your goal)
>>
>>14702508

Yeah thats what I was thinking lol. I even took a picture of it incase some day someone wants a little guide lol.
>>
>>14702492
ebay stagg and rockauto. It may be less safe then it was before.
>>14702508
just posting some oc, figured it might be useful to someone.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.