[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any proper alternatives to pic related? Considering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: Capture.jpg (330KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
330KB, 1600x1065px
Are there any proper alternatives to pic related?

Considering these requirements:
>RWD
>4-door sedan
>up to approx 4000lbs
>at least about 300hp V8
>naturally aspirated
>manual

Would be nice to have:
>400hp V8
>6500+ redline
>No electronic nannies
>classic looks
>>
>>14698451

>S6/RS6
Not available in RWD or manual. Harder to find in sedan form.
>RS4
Not available in RWD. Harder to find in sedan form. B5's aged worse than E39's aesthetically.
>AMG
No manuals, hard to find n/a models, either 15 year old(badly aged styling) or 25 yo (underpowered), or 5 yo (exponentially more expensive).
>Alpina
Basically BMW.
>Lexus LS/GS
No manuals. Similar styling gap to Mercedes.

In some cases, the mentioned cars are cheap enough for a manual conversion to be possible within an m5 budget, but still.
There's also modern stuff, like the Chevy SS, Dodge Charger etc., but most of those are even heavier, still don't come with manuals, and don't offer the perceived sportyness of an E39 M5.
>>
>>14698454
The SS (and G8 GXP) is the closest you'll get to a modern M5. They both come with manuals but are more expensive up front than an E39 M5 but they're probably cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>14698451
How about a charger rt
>>
Forgot to mention the CTS-V, but the first and second gens where trying to catch up to BMW, and now the thrid gen might have made it - but it's quite expensive compared to an E39 M5.

>>14698491
Neither are available new in Europe, sadly. Even if they are for sale second hand, they get the USDM equivalent of ricetax.
My main problem is that they're just less of a luxury vehicle, in equipment, interior finish, and brand image. Shouldn't matter if you're looking for a driver's car, but still.

>>14698492
No manual, and extremely fat. Scat pack and up models get the (subjectively) ugly SRT grille, models below don't pack the upper echolon's punch.
That said, a 392 Scat Pack is one hell of a deal in the USA. If they'd just import a ute version of those into here so I could skirt some tax laws...
>>
First gen CTS-V

Lexus ISF had a dual clutch if that counts.
>>
File: s-s.jpg (2MB, 2816x1880px) Image search: [Google]
s-s.jpg
2MB, 2816x1880px
Why would you want an alternative to the best manual V8 sedan ever made?
>>
>>14698539
>539
>5 39
>M5 E39
Checked.

First gens where playing catchup to ze germans in terms of interior and handling characteristics.

No clutch pedal = no manual.

>>14698541
Because prices are starting to creep up and will continue doing so for the foreseeable future. Automotive enthousiast might want an alternative.

Personally, I like my BMW's on two wheels instead of four.
>>
>>14698554
Depending on where you live the prices were on a down swing as of late. Like less than 16k

You can pick up a decent condition 540i/6 less than 10 now, if you're unwilling to deal with the M5 Maintenance costs.

Although I can see them increasing in price by the end of the decade.

They are truly the last great sport sedans even though they started the heavy as fuck tradition that all post-ceding have now followed.
>>
>>14698529
The G8/SS are rebadged Australian Holdens, the Vauxhall VXR8 is the same car.
>>
File: image.jpg (446KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
446KB, 1920x1200px
>>14698599
Also there's this.
>>
>>14698574
Because arbitrary ruleset, duh.

Anyways, XJR wasn't available in manual (although you kinda expect that on a Jag), but it does meet al other requirements in terms of power, doors, power, and especially good looks.
Sad thing is, it makes about 400hp from about the same size V8 as the BMW, with the same 0-60 time, similar weight - but the Jag's supercharged. There's supercharger kits for the Beemer out there, imagine what that'll do to the comparison. It just seems that the Jag wasn't as well-engineered in terms of it's engine.

To add to that: finding one with a black interior appears to be almost impossible. It's like most costumers forgot to bring their good taste when ordering them. Still, when you find a black on black one it's just plain old HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

>>14698599
>>14698617
There's exactly 1 modern V8 Holden/Vauxhall for sale on autoscout24.com. They´re just not for sale around here.
:tfw no V-ate ute
>>
>>14698625
So go to where they are for sale, dang.
>>
>>14698653
As in: they're not for sale on the entire continent of Europe - and I'm not moving to murderkoalaland just for a ute.
>>
Quite related to this thread, but how many people here are fucking tired of fat being an excuse to completely write off a car?
Not everything can be light, especially with crash test safety ratings giving car companies the shaft for over 20 years.

I figure that's the problem with "tell me which car meets my requirements" threads. Because OPs will make judgement calls on cars they've never owned, and just look at statistics. Just to say the car you suggested isn't worth it.
>>
>>14698668
OP here. Especially in this segment, pigfat isn't an excuse to completely write off a car. Actually, it's necessary in the ''3800lbs V8 performance sedan'' club nowadays.

I'd actually consider all options here, but there's not 1 car that can objectively, based on statistics, go head to head with an E39 M5. That's the problem, because they will go up in value, and we as a group will want an alternative or two. Another issue is that a lot of the cars mentioned ITT are depreciating, but not heavily enough to make modifying them (manual conversion, engine + suspension tuning) viable in an E39 M5 budget.
>>
File: 6532158Mercury_Marauder[1].jpg (142KB, 2008x1060px) Image search: [Google]
6532158Mercury_Marauder[1].jpg
142KB, 2008x1060px
Stretches some of your requirements, but they're at the price now that you're getting a nice garaged car from some old guy who wanted a hot rod.
Like the caprice LT1 bubble bodies.

Autotragic is a huge reason why I don't want one, but there is a complete ass-load of forums and documents on swapping both of these cars over to a T-56. Same for the Lincoln Mark 7 and 8. Which all of these Fords can take quite a bit of Mustang parts.

Some of the faster sedans I've seen on the road are Caprice boxes and Crown Vics. Because they're cheap enough to modify, at some cost of weight of a body-on-frame car.
>>
>>14698451
Infiniti M45
Genesis V8 sedans are also pretty cheap now I guess
>>
>>14698726
>at some cost of weight of a body-on-frame car.
The funny thing is a Caprice box weighs maybe 600 lbs more than a new Chevy Malibu, so it's not a huge penalty.
2016 Malibu (1.5L Turbo): 3086 lbs
1988 Caprice (4.3L V6): 3607 lbs
1988 Caprice (5.0L V8): 3699 lbs

There are Camaros that weigh more than a box Caprice... Hell new Camaros weigh just as much.
>>
File: 2004_MG_ZT_260_V8_003_1725.jpg (404KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2004_MG_ZT_260_V8_003_1725.jpg
404KB, 1600x1200px
>RWD
>4-door sedan
>up to approx 4000lbs
>at least about 300(ish)hp V8
>naturally aspirated
>manual
>utter shit
>>
>>14698451
I have a 97 540i six speed manual that is face lifted, but has the more reliable and stronger pre vanos engine.

I've been looking for something with the same requirements as you but I also can not find anything.
>>
Chevy ss
>>
>>14698541

$1500 in parts alone to fix failed timing chain tensioners, assuming you get to it before they fail completely and lunch the engine.
>>
>>14699328
That's dealership prices, perhaps.
I didn't pay half as much for having half the engine taken apart for preventative maintenance, water pump replacement, seals, blah...
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.