[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Painting Cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (2MB, 1735x1152px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1735x1152px
Anyone here know about car painting?

I've recently bought a car that I intend to fix up and sell for profit.

There were some rust spots which I've had welded.
But the problem came when I took it to a painter to paint over the spots that had been welded.

I know my car was painted using Hempel - a Norwegian ship enamel, by the original owner a long time ago, because I went back and asked him.
He said he used a brush to do it but I don't see any visible brush strokes.
He's too old to paint now.

The painter from the shop said that I would need to sand blast or chemically strip off all the paint so he could do a complete re-paint of the exterior, because the paints are incompatible. He doesn't want to use Hempel either.
He estimates the whole job to cost over €5000.
He won't do the stripping himself and warned me that there may be more rust or dents hiding under the rest of the paint.
I've spoken to other spray painters and they've basically said the same thing.

Any ideas?
>>
>>14696192
1.)Sell as is and don't worry about the paint

2.)Roll the dice, and try to respray over the fucking weird ass ship enamel and see what happens

3.)Roll the dice, and strip the weird enamel yourself and see what condition the body is in
>>
>>14696201
As someone who's repainted a few cars with his dad (hr did most of the work because I was young and didn't really know what I was doing), I'd say go with #3. Use an orbital sander to take the paint off the body, then hand smooth it down, then prime it, then buy a Chinese knockoff paint gun and paint the body in the same color (an automotive paint store should be able to make the same paint the car came with stock). If you seal off the door gaps, the new paint should blend with the original paint in the gaps/interior well, and it should look good enough for sale. If you want to do it REALLY well (though I suspect you won't because you're just selling it and not making it a show car or anything), you could strip the whole car and paint ALL of it.
>>
>>14696239
I should say, this should cost about $400 for price of paint and sandpaper and other materials, and it might not turn out well if you don't know what you're doing (runs or thin spots). So take those factors into account before you take my advice.
>>
>>14696192
One option is to rub the existing paint down yourself to key the surface and then spray it with an isolator primer. You'll then be able to use any paint system without worrying about it messing up the ship enamel.
>>
>>14696192
5k sounds about right, get your cheque book out.
>>
>>14696239
Dude come on you are leaving so much shit off. It isn't just buy a Chinese paint gun and ta-da good paint.

OP if you are going to paint it yourself you need to have a large air compressor, some sort of line drier setup, and some experience getting good results out of whatever gun you get. You also need a clean and dust free area to work that provides ventilation but does not introduce airborne particles.
>>
Get enamel paint used for tractors.

Thin it and shoot it.

Sell it from someone elses street or driveway.
>>
Not OP here, mildly related question. Can a professional painter turn any can of paint into metal flake paint by adding flakes, or are there paints you can't add flakes to?
>>
>>14697068

Basically this. Rub it over with scotchbrite, smoothen out any rough area, paint it over, sell it off. Bonus surprise? Paint may actually last quite some years.
>>
>>14696192
WHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!11111 2BUCKLE MY SHOE
PAINT U'RE OWN CAR!!!

U MUST B MENTAL OR SUTIN

U NEED AT LEAST OVER $9000 WORF OF HIGH END PAINT EQUIPMENT 4 DAT OR ELSE U R GURENTEED A SHIT FINISH M8
>>
>>14696192
M A A C O
>>
>>14697078
Some paints you can't for sure like Imron, but if you want a metallic it's best to use a paint that's meant to be metallic, the weight of the flakes has to match the paint or they will either sink or rise and look terrible. This used to be a big problem with lacquer paints but with urethanes and water based paint they can make the metal flakes suspend in the paint perfectly these days

OP there is 0 hope of you painting the car and having it come out right with your experience, you'll need to take some sort of class, it takes a lot of practice to be able to lay down a half decent paint job.

>but look at this forum where this guy brush painted his car and it looks perfect!
Guarantee it looks terrible in person, or the guy spent 1000 hours prepping then color sanding it and not $500 and an afternoon
>>
>>14699253
>but look at this forum where this guy brush painted his car and it looks perfect!
Now that's something I'd like to see.
>>
>>14696357
Oh shit my bad, we had all that and I forgot they were all necessary.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.