[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some help /o/ I did some research but ill ask you fags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
I need some help /o/
I did some research but ill ask you fags anyway
I tried starting my car but all it does is sort of clicked and dash lights fades. The car is not on the road yet but i start it atleast twice a week. I checked the battery terminals and i saw pic related. What are some ways to clean corrosion? Will this solve my problem or do i need a jump or maybe a whole new battery?
>>
Yep. Battery is done.
>>
Wire brush and water mix with baking soda to neutralize any acid. Check the voltage, if less than 12.5 volts try to put it on charge and try to start it again.
>>
File: votmeter.jpg (54KB, 574x800px) Image search: [Google]
votmeter.jpg
54KB, 574x800px
>>14693879
can i use this to check it or will it explode in my hands
>>
>>14693889
put it on DCV 20, it should read around 12v for a charged battery...if it's charged, just cleaning and tightening the battery terminal could fix it....how old is the battery
>>
If its old, adding distilled water to the cells might help.
>>
Clean your cables properly and remove them from the battery. That corrosion was once your terminal(s)
>>
Wire welders brush
>>
>>14693917
car battery voltage is usually around 13.4V fully charged
12.5V is 85%
>>
File: o-auto.jpg (49KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
o-auto.jpg
49KB, 720x540px
I have the same question, my car won't start.
I turn the key and It just goes one click.
I have replaced the battery with a new one but that didn't seem to be the problem.
I was thinking it might be the starter, but I don't know what to actually do with it. I have heard they are extremely reliable pieces and you only switch it about once in a cars lifetime.
I also tried jumping the car, but it only just went 1 click. Are there any other possibilites than the starter making trouble,and what measures should I take if it is the starter?
>>
Grab a huge gallon or so jug of warm water and pour it on the battery until all the corrosion dissovles
>>
>>14693870
baking soda and water is best for cleaning battery terminal corrosion with a small wire brush. Fully charged battery is 12.6V volts, I wonder what your voltage drop from your terminal to ring is.
>>
>>14694220
Solonoid
>>
>>14694220
Grad a piece of wood or something to reach the starter and try hitting the starter (not too hard) while someone turns the key. If it turns on, you know the problem is with the starter.

This helped me many times in my Jeep before I got around to replacing the starter motor.
>>
>>14694101
12.6 is fully charged..there are 6 cells of 2.1 volts each
>>
>>14694462
This. OP should just recharge the battery and have it load tested
>>
Same happened to my car. Needed a new battery and cleaned up the terminals (mechanic did the latter so idk how to personally do it)
>>
>>14694462
This. OP should just
>clean posts
>recharge battery
>have it load tested once fully charged
>>
>>14694494
Water and baking soda mane. Hell, you can even use a can of coke
>>
>>14694485
>>14694495
You should just samefag somewhere else.
>>
>>14694516
word
>>14694462
no, it's way higher. do i have to grab my repair manual?
>>
>>14694266
I'll check it out, but not sure what can I do about it. Does it need to be replaced or just cleaned with a metal brush?
>>14694310
Which part do I try to hit and how gentle/hard should I be? Like a harder tap or something or like a decent hit a metal would have taken?

The car in question is 26 year old Corolla.
>>
>>14694702
Tap the solenoid, on the casing near where the positive terminal connects to it, probably.

Hit it about as hard as you would knock on a solid door. A few solid taps, nothing too hard.

The idea is that if your solenoid is sticky, some tapping can help dislodge it and get the car started. Not a permanent fix, obviously.

If you're alone you can try to tap first then try to turn it on, but I doing it at the same time seems to work better.
>>
>>14694744
Thank you for your input, I can't wait to test it out tommorow.
As for a permanent solution, I guess I should switch the whole starter out?
>>
>>14694766
Make sure you get a new solenoid too.
>>
>>14694766
>I guess I should switch the whole starter out?
You could probably get away with the just solenoid, but the whole starter and solenoid set would be best, since its an old car the motor is probably worn. It shouldn't be that expensive.
>>
>>14693870
>posts asking advice as a novice
>leads us right to the pic

Please... Please try harder with the faux content.
>>
>>14693879
i like using a electric toothbrush over a wire brush.
>>
>>14694101
that's a surface charge, gives false positives. Now what the OP needs is a carbon pile tester to check for dead cells.
>>
>>14693879
>>14693947
In my country we use a lemon , it does the job
>>
>>14694516
Didn't mean to post twice, but you can go fuck yourself :^)
>>
>>14694101
>>
>>14694537
It shoulsn't be higher 12.6 is fully charged. Unless your shit is about to blow up.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.