[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

brake shim help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: IMAG0034.jpg (4MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0034.jpg
4MB, 4208x2368px
Help, I'm installing new brake pads and the old shim holder won't fit into the caliper. Looks like the pads are a bit wider than the old ones were so I can only stick the actual shim and not the side shim holder into the caliper. If I try to lube it in and force it it goes in but then the shim holder ends up bending and getting stuck, which makes the pads not move. I don't want to install the pads without any shims, can I just stick the previous shims with grease on without the holder and let the long pins hold them attached to the pads? Will they rattle around and make an annoying noise or will they pretty much just stick to the pad anyways?
>>
looks like brembo shims.

do you have a proper fixed caliper piston compressor tool? fixed 4 pot calipers are a pain because when you retract one piston the other one usually pops out.

If they're retracted 100% and you cant use the new shims the old shims should be fine. There should be a leafspring retaining clip that goes between both retaining pins and contacts the pads and is designed to prevent noise and what not.
>>
>>14693897
Not sure if they're brembo's or not, it's my first time changing the pads on the car since I bought it and I bought c-tek pads without shims planning on reusing the old shims. The old shim fits on fine, but the shim holder that holds the shim to the pad doesn't. I'm not rebuilding the calipers so all the pistons are already retracted. Are you saying it's fine to just use the old shims without the shim holder?
>>
>>14693920
I've never actually seen a brake set up where the brake shim dosent hold itself on. If you're really stuck, try running old stuff and if that dosent work run without shims at all.

Brembos would be brightly coloured and say brembo all the fuck over the caliper. I guess its just a vehicle with what looks fixed calipers with 4 pistons
>>
>>14693941
no, they're not brembo's then, just the standard nissan z32 calipers. Guess I'll run it with the old shims with no shim holder and see how it fairs, thanks. The only problem is with no shim holder they're very loose inside the caliper and slide around a lot, but I assume this shouldn't be a problem when I reattach everything back to the car.
>>
File: 1.jpg (76KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
76KB, 480x360px
that shim/retaining clip in the middle also contacts the pads and keeps them down and hopefully not loose. I've only worked on fixed calipers a handful of times. It was brembos but their retaining clip is of a different design
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.