[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When buying a used car how many miles is too many?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (16KB, 529x351px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 529x351px
When buying a used car how many miles is too many?
>>
Infinite if it's taken good care of. I'd buy a well maintained pre-90s Mercedes with a million miles before buying any Chrysler with a hundred thousand miles.
>>
depends, the range is:
Dodge Stratus: 5 miles
Benz w123 300 Turbo Diesel: 5 billion miles.
>>
The best choise if you 2nd owner and you buy a car right after warranty period.
>>
Depends on the useage. 300,000 miles of easy highway cruising is significantly better than 100,000 miles of flooring it out of 7-Eleven parking lots.
>>
>>14691831
trick question. based on mileage alone, nothing is too may miles. What matters is the condition and the maintenance history
>>
>>14691903
what if the driver has no history.
>>
Bought a Toyota Corolla (for a daily driver, not my go fast car) from a guy that put in new transmission, new motor, new bushings all arounds, new wheel bearings, all the fluids, etc... within that year and It had 280k miles on it but mechanically you would not know, some tears in the driver sit but the rest of the interior was good as well. You need to verify receipts though, possibly even call the shops were the motor was put in because people will purple power their engine bay and then make up shit saying it is new when in reality it's still the same old tired motor.
>>
>>14693998
Then you have to rely on your personal inspection of its condition.
>>
File: M-eating2.jpg (77KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
M-eating2.jpg
77KB, 480x320px
>>14691831
Its pretty safe to filter out everything over 150k miles on trucks and 90-120k on cars, assuming you don't want any unplanned maintenance. Yeah, there are exceptions, but the vast majority of faggots hawking shit on the internet don't maintain their stuff. Most cars/trucks within the last 15 years can probably handle those limits with only 7k-10k mile jiffy lube oil changes.
>>
>>14694601

Would buying a used 2013 vehicle with about 55,000 miles be unreasonable then if you finance it for 5 years?
>>
>>14691903
Umm...

I agree with Stolen Recaros.

>What matters is the condition, PRICE and the maintenance history

Well, almost
>>
>>14696448
>Would buying a used 2013 vehicle with about 55,000 miles be unreasonable
no, but it should be reflected in the price. And remember that lower price at purchasing time is related to lower resale price, for the same reasons
>then if you finance it for 5 years?
What
five
years

w h a t

I think as a rule of thumb if you need five years to afford a car, you can't afford that car
>>
>>14696465

I have the majority of the vehicle cost in cash already but I would prefer making my credit stronger and still having my savings mostly in tact, unless I should just wait longer and buy it.
>>
File: getwrekt.jpg (690KB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
getwrekt.jpg
690KB, 4000x3000px
mileage is irrelevant, I own four shitboxes and three of them have over 200k. They all run with zero issues. The engine in pic related only has 130k though.
>>
>>14696479
You don't need to get jewed out through a 5 year contract and higher insurance rates just to build your credit.
>>
>Chrysler products
200 miles is already more than halfway of their lifespan.
>Toyota Corolla
under 300k is fine.
>>
>>14691831

but....
It will depend on your budget, intended use, and how pretentious you are.

I've driven plenty of post 100k cars, some have been great, others total dogs.
A number of previous owners and service history is a usually a better indication of vehicle condition than milage.
>>
File: e20.png (75KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e20.png
75KB, 600x600px
>>14696479
>tfw my 8 year old Ford Escape has less miles than your 2013 truck that you're gunna spend half a decade overpaying for
>>
>>14691831

Depends on price and what car it is.

Also depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you just want the shell? strip it? want a reliable everyday DD?

There's a lot of variables here.

Was it owned by an old lady? Was it a fleet or rental car? Was it owned by mexicans?
>>
I think it's really dumb to say that it just matters on condition alone.

yes, you can probably drive a really well maintained car to 400,000 miles, or something even higher, but we all know realistically that you won't get there in one piece. Shit will start to give out over time, and you will end up having to rebuild the vehicle part by part, over and over.

I think 200,000 for unreliable brands with good service histories, and 300,000 for reliable brands with the same are good thresholds.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.